Author Topic: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?  (Read 187976 times)

Offline -Sara-

Re: What do you want in the rest of War in Heaven?
IMO fighter/bomber mounted beams would either have to be drastically weaker or a 1-shot kindof deal to be realistic/believable. 

Minelayers with mini-mjolnirs. :P
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
So you're saying you'd try using Subspace missile strikes on fighters?

doesn't have to be subspace, it could be ordinary turrets like with the tag missiles in retail.  being able to direct a frigate's railgun to hit a fighter/bomber would be pretty awsome :)
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline -Sara-

Something else I'd like to see. The GTVA using technology to pull ships out of subspace (or to prevent them from entering subspace). I have a cool concept for that somewhere, involving a Fenris and a field-rigged refit replacing the front section with a dome-cut-in-half-like construct housing a coil and spinning components to create a subspace field. It selectively disrupts subspace activity within a certain range, preventing reinforcements and keeping ships right where they are to prevent them from escaping an attack. I'll try and find said concept, flesh it out and show it, if there is an interest for it, it sure is nice to keep the AWACS from becoming a Mary Sue.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
An FS version of the Interdictor?  Sounds cool. :yes:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
We actually had that in mid-production builds of the campaign, using modified intrasystem gates and based on the canonical effect of the Knossos portal on intrasystem jumps. It may turn up again.

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
What I'd like to see are fighter or capital ship mounted missile/torpedo weapons which are bomb-pumped laser warheads, for the GTVA of course.

Just because that'd be absolutely awesome to see.
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline Kolgena

Flashbang bombs, designed to blind intercepting pilots. (Rather long explosion/flare time, and make luminance >9000)

:P

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Flashbang bombs, designed to blind intercepting pilots. (Rather long explosion/flare time, and make luminance >9000)

:P

We...could...they'd only work on players, but...

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
oh my god no

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Weren't you already doing that? :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline starlord

an idea might be the possibility of piloting a scimitar in a covert action against the GEF...

I might add that I would appreciate the complete destruction of the GEF and a dogfight with that leader of theirs, sergei something...

Something else I'd like to see. The GTVA using technology to pull ships out of subspace (or to prevent them from entering subspace). I have a cool concept for that somewhere, involving a Fenris and a field-rigged refit replacing the front section with a dome-cut-in-half-like construct housing a coil and spinning components to create a subspace field. It selectively disrupts subspace activity within a certain range, preventing reinforcements and keeping ships right where they are to prevent them from escaping an attack. I'll try and find said concept, flesh it out and show it, if there is an interest for it, it sure is nice to keep the AWACS from becoming a Mary Sue.

the pulling of ships from subspace sounds familiar; i think i saw it on an episode of stargate universe. But if the UEF could replicate this that would mean that GTA ships couldn't warp to Earth (they have to trudge there the old fashioned way.
An neverending battle shall begin (BITEFIGHT.org): http://s8.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=128547

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

How about scrambling targeting data for the duration of the flash then? Unless if that doesn't work on the AI either...
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action

How about scrambling targeting data for the duration of the flash then? Unless if that doesn't work on the AI either...

EMP already does that (randomly reassigns AI targets.) And the AI doesn't have to gain aspect lock.

17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Infamus

Hey, do you guize know what Dump and Burn is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping

This would look amazing coming from the UEF's super awesome interceptor as a sort of 'Super Burner' that takes up all of your AB fuel but sends you FLYING at about 500 mps.
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH
BARRA
BARRA
BARRA CUDA
yeah

Offline -Norbert-

It doesn't speed you up... it's just a lightshow....
But (apart from overlooking the fact that it wouldn't work in space due to the lack of air) it might cause damage to ships flying directly behind you.

Offline Gen

• Hündchen
    • deviantart profile
I always liked the retail missions, where you fly around in some captured fighter, doing recon deep in enemy space. Would be nice to see something like that in WiH - maybe a little mission to the jovian moons, extracting some spy from the other side.
The only winning move
Global Thermonuclear War
Wouldn't you prefer chess?

Ugh, just so long as I don't have to see/hear "keep your distance, pilots!" over and over.  Either my stealthy/commandeered fighter is convincing, or its not.
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Hey, do you guize know what Dump and Burn is?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_dumping

This would look amazing coming from the UEF's super awesome interceptor as a sort of 'Super Burner' that takes up all of your AB fuel but sends you FLYING at about 500 mps.
Eh, I could never take it seriously after being a citizen of the country that's currently retiring the most famous aircraft to have performed the dump'n burn for real. :D