Author Topic: Not using open  (Read 6359 times)

Offline Shadow1

I have been using Freespace open for about a week now and my computer is having some lag issues.  I have attributed this to my computers low graphical abilities.  I was wondering how it would be possbile to run a mod/campaign without using FSO. 

Thanks.

Maybe you need to make sure you are using your graphics card? I had problems because my Laptop was using the integrated chip. Everything became excellent once I switched the dedicated on.

Offline Shadow1

When setting it up i selected the option to detect available cards.  Is this correct?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
It should be somewhere in your nVidia Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center -- find the option where you can choose which GPU to use (the crappy but battery saving integrated one or the high powered nVidia or AMD one)  -- select the FSO exe and set it to use the dedicated graphics card.

If not, you can also disable certain features to make it (usually) work on an integrated card as well.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
Also would it be possible to get the spec of your computer and a copy of your current command line out of the advanced tab on wxLauncher
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
to directly answer your question, no: any modern campaign is going to make use of the many, many features SCP has added to FS so you'd need to stick with some classics like Derelict (original version, not SCP version), Homesick etc.

Though, do post your specs (and fs2_open.log) since these issues are often fixable.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
There's also the general issue that retail FS2 only supports modding in a very haphazard manner. It's easier in the long run if we were to look at your performance problems and try to fix them.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

I have been using Freespace open for about a week now and my computer is having some lag issues.  I have attributed this to my computers low graphical abilities.  I was wondering how it would be possbile to run a mod/campaign without using FSO. 

Thanks.

What are your computer's specifications? If you don't know, then tell us the exact model number and we can look it up. If you don't know the model number, then there's software you can download that tells you some of the things that we need to know, such as what you have for either a video card or an onboard video chip (usually known just as "onboard video"), what you have for a CPU, and how much memory you have.

So, if you know your computer's specs, then all we really need to know are the following things:

• What you have for a video card or an onboard video chip
  • What you have for a CPU
  • How much memory you have

If what you have is a regular PC (not a laptop), then I suppose that it can also be good to know the size of your monitor and the resolution that you're trying to play at. I would also like to know which launcher you are using (go by the title at the top of its window). In addition, I'd like to what your in-game "Detail" settings are.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:07:56 am by TwoCables »
Why do you say "as" instead of "because"?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
One such software is CPU-Z, another (for more detailed info on the graphics part of it) is GPU-Z, both can be found in my signature.

One such software is CPU-Z, another (for more detailed info on the graphics part of it) is GPU-Z, both can be found in my signature.

I was going to mention it if necessary (I was keeping it simple), but since it has been mentioned, I do recommend the "Zip" download instead of the "Setup":

ftp://ftp.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.71.1-en.zip

The "Setup" installs it, but this program doesn't really need to be installed, hence the "Zip" option. You just download it, double-click it, and extract the files inside to a location of your choosing. Then, you open the program. That way, you don't have to worry about other programs or things getting installed along with CPU-Z.

When you go to open CPU-Z, you'll see a 32-bit version and a 64-bit version; if you have a 64-bit version of Windows, then you can open either of these. If you don't have a 64-bit version of Windows, then you can only open the 32-bit version.

GPU-Z isn't really necessary for this anymore because CPU-Z now has a "Graphics" tab. Sure, it has its uses, but for this, all we need is the Graphics tab in CPU-Z.

Note: The link to the "Zip" download on their page is incorrect. It points to the Setup version. If it were correct, then it would bring you to this page: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.71.1-en.zip
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 09:59:16 am by TwoCables »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yeah, the problem with not mentioning a reputable program is if you're not careful, a user can google for such a program and get a crappy one, especially if your search provider has been changed to one of those crappy ones like search conduit or somesuch (basically, I don't know the tech level of the person requesting support, so I offer advice and if their tech level is high enough, they will know their own method / favorite program and can disregard what I say anyways).

Yeah, the problem with not mentioning a reputable program is if you're not careful, a user can google for such a program and get a crappy one, especially if your search provider has been changed to one of those crappy ones like search conduit or somesuch (basically, I don't know the tech level of the person requesting support, so I offer advice and if their tech level is high enough, they will know their own method / favorite program and can disregard what I say anyways).

Yeah, I remember now someone on Overclock.net receiving a recommendation to get CPU-Z, only the person giving the recommendation didn't tell them WHERE to get it - and no one else bothered to mention it either. So, the poor guy had no choice but to Google it, and he ended up on a third-party site offering the latest version, only this copy of CPU-Z's installer was contained in an installer that the site owner created, and this installer contained about 7 different piggyback programs! So, when I saw that, I stepped in and fixed everything. :) lol I facepalmed so hard that I nearly knocked my head through the wall behind me! hehe

So, I thank you for this reminder of how important it is.

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
Wow, damn I totally did not realize you were the same person.
====
Anyways, aside from the system info it would be somewhat helpful to know WHICH mods are being played.  Some are more intensive than others.  You can always play FSO without the media VPs, but I don't know that all mods provide the option (and even when they do, they don't always have lower quality assets for what isn't in the MVPs)
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Wow, damn I totally did not realize you were the same person.
====

Who? What do you mean? Whatchyoo talkin' about Willis?!

No, seriously: I'm lost.

Offline BirdofPrey

Oh you're right. 
I've never seen someone name TwoCables post on OCN, and I certainly have never seen an avatar of two cables with TRS connectors on the ends.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

Oh you're right. 
I've never seen someone name TwoCables post on OCN, and I certainly have never seen an avatar of two cables with TRS connectors on the ends.

I was serious: I didn't know that you were saying, "Oh, you're the same TC from OCN". Yes, I am.

Were you trying to be rude here, or am I just misinterpreting you?

Offline BirdofPrey

I was joking.   Didn't realize you were being serious or that the initial post was vague.

I was joking.   Didn't realize you were being serious or that the initial post was vague.

I think what made it seem less series was how lost I was. lol I was like, "same person? What? Is he talking to me? If so, then what does he mean? Did he just edit his post and I didn't see it? Man, I gotta ask." lol

I'm glad we got this cleared up though.

So anyway, yeah, it's me! :) Forgive me for my failing memory, but are you a regular on OCN? Did we get to know each other at all? I'm really happy to have run into someone on HLP who knows me from OCN.

Offline BirdofPrey

Maybe time for a thread split.

Im a more on and off lurker, I give my two cents occasionally, but I've seen you around.   I've been posting a bit in  the SFF section, but I tend to ignore the CPU and GPU as well as news sections due to the rampant my team is better than yours stuff.

Maybe time for a thread split.

Im a more on and off lurker, I give my two cents occasionally, but I've seen you around.   I've been posting a bit in  the SFF section, but I tend to ignore the CPU and GPU as well as news sections due to the rampant my team is better than yours stuff.

Oh, ok (and yeah, I don't blame you one bit lol).