Author Topic: Ordering question...  (Read 2097 times)

Should ship ordering alphabetically on the wiki include the prefix? The GVx, GTx, Px, UTx, UEx.. stuff?
I mean should it be:
EAF Lethe
GTF Angel
Or should it be
GTF Angel
EAF Lethe
?

Offline Satellight

• Star Dreamer
Maybe both (prefix then name), like this ?
Never far away from HLP and from a computer with an installed FreeSpace.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
With class names, make it the former. The GTD Orion will be under "G" in the "Ships" category. The GTD Bastion will be under "B" in the Orion-class destroyers category, in which all members of the group are predictably under "G".
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

NTD Uhuru?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
That goes under "U"
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
...in a completely different category, that is, NTF destroyers (NTD). Which would be the one after the GTD category.

You mean cutting a 14 ship list into 2, one of 10 and one of 4, and then ordering them alphabetically.
This idea works for the huge fricking lists like :http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/User-made_Ships
But for what TopAce meant, http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/List_of_GTD_Orion-class_destroyers I really consider it to be OVERKILL!

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I'd rather not organize by prefix.

That was my initial feeling too. That's why I asked...

Offline Shade

Easy solution: You can set up the list so the users themselves can choose how to sort it. Look at the campaign list for how it's done if you don't know. Then just list the ships alphabetically by name and if anyone wants it sorted by prefix, class or whatever else, they can make that happen with a single mouse click.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.