FS1 or FS2

FS1
17 (21.5%)
FS2
31 (39.2%)
Debates like these are stupid
31 (39.2%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: FS1? Or FS2?  (Read 9451 times)

Offline sgtbeil

In your opinion, which FreeSpace is better? FreeSpace 1? Or FreeSpace 2? And be sure to tell me why. Personally, I prefer FreeSpace 1 because the storyline is much more intense and indepth. Kinda just draws you in with a sense of emergency and danger (Bad words to choose. I had a couple better ones but i forgot them... Oops  :lol: )

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Preemptive note for all the veterans: The very second this derails into an argument over writing, or someone tells someone else that his opinion is quite obviously invalid, this thread is closed. This is your first and only warning.

That being said, I vastly prefer FS2. Because it's got the better story IMHO, and Snipes.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I LOVE THESE THREADS

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
FS2.  Snipes, and aspect-seeking missiles that are actually worth using.

Yes, we know you love these threads.  Now be a good little forumite and listen to The E. :P

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
For me I think the definitive article of FreeSpace canon is the FS2 demo. It really set the tone of the setting for me.

Offline sgtbeil

Preemptive note for all the veterans: The very second this derails into an argument over writing, or someone tells someone else that his opinion is quite obviously invalid, this thread is closed. This is your first and only warning.

That being said, I vastly prefer FS2. Because it's got the better story IMHO, and Snipes.

Yeah, I've heard a lot about people liking Snipes. But I was just curious to know what everyone preferred. It's almost like a survey or debate if you wish.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 06:47:33 pm by sgtbeil »

I will need to vote for FS2. Everything just seemed so much deadlier and more mysterious.
You have beams, flak, better and faster blobs and fighter weapons, bigger bombs, heavier and quicker fighters. All these things make every battle a struggle to survive, and makes every bomber a threat, and every approach to a cap ship or fighter group a tactical decision. In FS1, cap ships were more props then threats - just a bunch of weak blobs that you need to protect sometimes.

Then you get the story: "What is Bosch doing?" "Should I be concerned that the Iceni seems to keep escaping?" "Ooh, what's through this weird gate thing?" "Oh **** Shivans." "What are the Shivans doing?" "Oh **** a Sathanas." "Yay, Sathanas is dead, good job all." "Oh sweet ****ing **** more Sathanas!" "What are they doing?" "Oh, that's what they're doing. FLEEEEEE!" All very mysterious and emotional.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
NOT THIS AGAIN

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Why is this not a poll? :mad:
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It is now.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
I demand an "I am so sick of these polls" option.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
Yay. I voted for "Debates like these are stupid"

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
FS1, definitely. The FS1 Intro cutscene really sets the atmosphere for all FSness with its epic awesomeness (especially the excellent voice acting).

...aside from that, I think there's no need to choose a favorite. I still have original FS1 installed, and I still play it at times. Sure, the Port has epic FSOness, but if it's not FS1 it's not FS1 :P

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
FS1 for story.
FS2 for execution.

Although both have been surpassed in overall quality by community content.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Although both have been surpassed in overall quality by community content.
THIS IS THE ANSWER

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
These threads are good, they give you the opportunity to vote differently!

thus giving the community proof of your inconsistencies
el hombre vicio...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Preemptive note for all the veterans: The very second this derails into an argument over writing,

Preemptive note to moderation: stating you cannot argue the key point in a storytelling medium is stupid.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Indeed.  HOWEVER, that particular point leads to very little constructive argument and a lot of heated discussion that no one ever changes their opinions based on.  Therefore, it serves no purpose to this thread.