Author Topic: WIH Crash on Mission Load  (Read 3476 times)

WIH Crash on Mission Load
WIH Parts one and two, along with The Blade Itself, all cause the game to crash. On startup, I get a warning that 70 errors were generated, and when I try to launch a mission, I get this:

Could not load in 2_CommandBrief-mb!
ntdll.dll! ZwWaitForSingleObject + 21 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObjectEx + 67 bytes
kernel32.dll! WaitForSingleObject + 18 bytes
fs2_open_3_7_1_SSE2_BP.exe! <no symbol>
USER32.dll! PeekMessageA + 360 bytes

posting the log thingy too, if anyone can tel me where it is.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: WIH Crash on Mission Load
This error is usually indicative of a faulty MediaVPs 3.6.12 install. Note that BP requires the 3.6.12 MVPs, we do not guarantee compatibility with the 2014 MVPs.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

heres the log

The mediavps are the 3.6.12 version, in the mediavps_3612. They worked for the original campaing, Derelict, FSPort, etc. Age of Aquarius works fine.

[attachment deleted by an evil time traveler]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Code: [Select]
-mod blueplanet2,blueplanet, mediavps_3612
There's your problem. For some reason, an extra space has snuck in before the mediavps_3612 entry in BP2's mod.ini. Please open that file in a text editor of your choice and remove that space. Then, open the Launcher, select a different mod, switch back to BP2 (in order to force the Launcher to reload BP2's mod.ini), and start again. This should fix that error.

OpenGL Vendor    : Intel
  OpenGL Renderer  : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
  OpenGL Version   : 4.0.0 - Build 9.18.10.3186

In addition, it may be necessary for you to delete the advanced vps (adv_bp.vp and adv_bp2.vp), or to configure your GPU driver so that it lets FSO use the dedicated GPU instead of the internal one, if you have one.

Code: [Select]
-mod blueplanet2,blueplanet, mediavps_3612
There's your problem. For some reason, an extra space has snuck in before the mediavps_3612 entry in BP2's mod.ini. Please open that file in a text editor of your choice and remove that space. Then, open the Launcher, select a different mod, switch back to BP2 (in order to force the Launcher to reload BP2's mod.ini), and start again. This should fix that error.

OpenGL Vendor    : Intel
  OpenGL Renderer  : Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600
  OpenGL Version   : 4.0.0 - Build 9.18.10.3186

In addition, it may be necessary for you to delete the advanced vps (adv_bp.vp and adv_bp2.vp), or to configure your GPU driver so that it lets FSO use the dedicated GPU instead of the internal one, if you have one.

I put the extra space in his .ini file after the first dozen or so crashes, but I'll take it out. I have now booted into my installation successfully on both 3.6.17 and a 3.7.1 build. His installation is identical to mine (mods, game discs, graphic and features selection). Will he lose any perk/features from deleting the advanced vps?
I shat all over that Shivan fighter....right up 'till his buddy got me.

new log file, with the space removed from the .ini

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
If you use the 5.5g Launcher, you'll have to reselect the mod manually for the mod.ini change to take effect. In your log the space is still there, so I assume that's the issue.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

That may have been it, its working now. No idea what was causing the issue in the first place though. But it is not a problem now. Thanks a bunch E, we re-read that Bug From Hell thread while we worked.

Well, the missions/campaign loads without any error messages generated, and it doesn't crash....

....but now all of the effects are REALLY screwed up. White pixel boxes where explosions, beams, and impacts should be. Bleed-through of light effects through ship hulls. Ship explosions just cause a cluster of white pixelation boxes across the entire screen. Adjust graphics up, and down, did not help. It seems all those errors about effects being missing are still happening, I'm just not getting the messages about them.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
No, that's just an issue with your GPU. The BP builds are using a new renderer that can cause issues on hardware that isn't implementing OpenGL 4 properly; your best bet is to go over here, and follow those instructions to get the Compatibility pack, which allows you to play BP with a normal 3.7.0 or nightly build.

No, that's just an issue with your GPU. The BP builds are using a new renderer that can cause issues on hardware that isn't implementing OpenGL 4 properly; your best bet is to go over here, and follow those instructions to get the Compatibility pack, which allows you to play BP with a normal 3.7.0 or nightly build.

This didn't work, and neither did deleting the advanced vps files.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Debug log please.

It is.... irksome. Running with a very high end (albeit mobile version of) graphics card (nVidia GTX 770)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The log says you've got an Intel HD card, though maybe that's just the mobile equivalent of the GTX 770? In any case, try adding the -no_glsl command line flag. This'll force the shader pipeline back to an earlier version that older graphics cards can handle.

It had both the Intel HD 4600, and the nVidia GTX 770M. I have no idea how to get the computer or game to use the dedicated card as opposed to the onboard graphics.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
While I wait for bigger tech support guns to show up, my only suggestion is to plug it in - I've seen laptops that only turn on the dedicated GPU when connected to an outlet.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
Might be a dumb question: have you installed the latest 770M driver?

While I wait for bigger tech support guns to show up, my only suggestion is to plug it in - I've seen laptops that only turn on the dedicated GPU when connected to an outlet.

That was my brother's thought. He tried disabling the Intel card, and the display went black. So no forcing the issue.

Might be a dumb question: have you installed the latest 770M driver?

Yes. This is the first time I've had a graphical problem. BF4, Crysis, Source-engine games run really well. My brother thinks it might be because it is using OpenGL, and the nVidia card is programmed to fire up for DirectX games and the like.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Try the -no_glsl fix.

Offline qazwsx

• POST DRUNK GET TITLE
    • Minecraft
If it's a laptop with nvidia optimus, then the nvidia card won't kick in for opengl programs unless you tell it to (amnesia the dark descent and surgeon simulator 2013 have the same issue). Open up nvidia control panel, go to 3d settings, and add the fso executable (not the launcher) and instead of letting it auto select the gpu, tell it to use the nvidia card.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 03:16:46 am by qazwsx »
<Achillion> I mean, it's not like he's shoving the brain-goo in a usb slot and praying to kurzweil to bring the singularity

<dsockwell> idk about you guys but the reason i follow God's law is so I can get my rocks off in the afterlife