Author Topic: What do you think about an additionnal command option ?  (Read 8150 times)

Offline potterman28wxcv

• Just a fan player
What do you think about an additionnal command option ?
Hi :) I have an idea to share to you (the idea is only for campaign mode I think) : sometimes in the mission, some wings already orders like "attack Gamma wing". But, it's impossible to order to a wing to attack a wing ; there is "destroy my target", "neutralize my target", "disarm my target", ... but no "destroy the wing of my targer".
I think it could be a good idea to put it.
What is your opinion about it ?

-----------------------------------------

"protect the wing of my target" could be added too.
Using alt + a number, or using PgDown and PgUp could be two solutions to add those options to the command menu.
Another solution could be to use the 2 keys at the right of the 1-0 keys

-----------------------------------------

Thanks to have moved it :)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 09:02:33 am by potterman28wxcv »

Offline FelixJim

• User 11092
Re: What do you think about an additionnal command option ?
That...would actually be quite nice. I'm not sure why you'd want to limit it to campaigns though.
In-Mission Techroom Script v0.4 - See information from the techroom in game
Simple Animation Script v0.2 - Make your own on-screen animations for FSO
Visible Waypoints Script - Makes waypoints visible in-game
Run From File Script - Get around the pesky 31 character limit for script-eval

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Hmmm... The idea has merit...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
And to which key will you map it? 0-9 is taken.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I'd love to see this implemented but I'm not sure how to do it either. *sigh*

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
And to which key will you map it? 0-9 is taken.

Something can be arranged (I guess)... the hole idea is quite good actually.
el hombre vicio...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
is there a way to implement a system where you hit attack my target once the ordered craft attack the target, then if you hit it a second time the craft switch to attack the target's wing?  

the drawback I see from a playability stance is that its a little long winded with having to navigate the menus twice dont know about the coding standpoint
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline -Norbert-

If there is a way to implement that, I'd also like to see something similar done for protection.
For example if you want a wing of interceptors to guard a wing of bombers.

This sounds like it could be useful, but possibly more effort than it's worth.

The way it is now, as long as a wing stays mostly close together, a single attack order will carrry over onto all targets nearby; ie. "Attack Cancer 1:" When Cancer 1 is dead, the attackers shift to whatever threat is next-nearest to them. "Defend Gamma 1:" Defenders attack anything hostile within whatever radius of Gamma 1, thus covering all of Gamma wing (as long as they stick together). And if a wing happens to be spread out, you don't want your wing flying back and forth for 4 klicks each way.

Offline Shivan Hunter

• FRED needs lambdas!
I've been thinking this feature is a good idea for a while now, but unless it was option 'a' or something I don't see how we'd get around the 1-0 limit thing. You'd need an unbound key, which would be a problem. I guess you caould also just use the 'pg up' and 'pg dn' keys as if you're selecting a ship from a huge list.

[EDIT]

This sounds like it could be useful, but possibly more effort than it's worth.

The way it is now, as long as a wing stays mostly close together, a single attack order will carrry over onto all targets nearby; ie. "Attack Cancer 1:" When Cancer 1 is dead, the attackers shift to whatever threat is next-nearest to them. "Defend Gamma 1:" Defenders attack anything hostile within whatever radius of Gamma 1, thus covering all of Gamma wing (as long as they stick together). And if a wing happens to be spread out, you don't want your wing flying back and forth for 4 klicks each way.

I see your point, but say you've got a wing of Maras and a wing of Seraphim, and you're trying to defend a destroyer or installation. You don't want your wing to go for the closest ship, which could be a fighter; you want your wing to go for the Seraphim wing and its future waves. (Then again, a "Defend my target" would work just as well- but that raises another question. What if your wing needs to defend an entire wing of, say, freighters? Would selecting the whole wing using hotkeys be enough?)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 06:43:44 pm by Shivan Hunter »

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm trying to decide if this would have made me do less micromanaging in Good Luck, or the same amount. Having to send wings after individual enemy fighters keeps you busy issuing commands, but it's effective even against Dragons.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Would there be a way to script the comm interface to use keys that are already mapped, kind of like shift or alt do?  If possible, we could then use every letter of the alphabet for some hypothetical command, as well as numbers.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Until a command option is introduced, it's fairly straightforward to sexp in the meantime.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
why not just use the shift key? C-3-Shift 1, C-3-Shift 5.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
I also had the idea of a taunt menu, where below "Reinforcements" you get "Enemy target", which is available if a hostile is targeted and opens up a list of taunts defined in a a table. Taunting an enemy has a chance (defined in ai.tbl for each class, with a default of zero) of having them attack you with a priority of 255 or whatever the absolute maximum is right now.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I have a feeling that would be an excellent feature for WC, but for FS it'd be meh.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I also had the idea of a taunt menu, where below "Reinforcements" you get "Enemy target", which is available if a hostile is targeted and opens up a list of taunts defined in a a table. Taunting an enemy has a chance (defined in ai.tbl for each class, with a default of zero) of having them attack you with a priority of 255 or whatever the absolute maximum is right now.

We don't even speak the Shivan's langauge, and there are much more useful methods to use it that would be burned by alerting them to this fact if we did.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

We don't even speak the Shivan's langauge, and there are much more useful methods to use it that would be burned by alerting them to this fact if we did.

But what about the NTF? Or the Vasudans?
Also, doesn't have to be used with just the FS-verse.

Though admittedly, this should be in the SCP board, not general FS discussion!
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

Well then obviously Shivan fighters could just use AI classes that don't react to taunts. They would perceive your taunt as nothing more than random noise.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:02:04 am by Woolie Wool »
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
Well you'd think the GTVA employs pilots who possess the maturity to ignore taunts (can't say the same for the NTF however :P ).