Poll

Which game is better, Freespace 1 or Freespace 2?

Descent/Conflict: FreeSpace - The Great War
21 (38.2%)
FreeSpace 2
34 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: October 23, 2002, 11:48:25 am

Author Topic: FS1 or FS2  (Read 57631 times)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This ought to be good... :D

They didn't tell you - opinion based.

Alright, yes, they did. Ask Dave about what their intentions were if you don't believe me. :D

Hmm, you're confusing stuff. You are right, people on the vBB had a bad habit of settling their issues by fighting, and I too found that to be wrong, however you're mixing stuff, because.....we are talking about the basic essentialities of skill, and what it makes you see. Try not to use an argument that you might see fitting from the past, because most of the times it was about something else. And VBB wasn't different then any other forum, don't know how you make a difference...it was just unmodded and loosly run.

Practice what you preach about past arguments, mr. elite pilot. :D Every forum is different than every other forum because each one carries its own sort of "net culture," if  you will. Nobody is talking about "basic essentialities of skill," (and there is just as much that it makes you blind to) because this topic is not about who the best player is, but which game is better and only that.

Anyone who says that has no idea what they're talking about.

yeah, why not? In fact, I almost never played TvTs outside standalones since they weren't worth playing otherwise; the host always had the highest score.

Why? EVERYONE else gave up faith and hope in the division and left BD and I on our own cough I wonder who people like that were CP... so we went for it, and we have recruited, and we have a successful division again.

I think I can see why... :p But there have been quite a few others in the FS2 division for some time now.

......no

wanna bet? ;7

We really don't need other peoples respect, there isn't that insecurity in it. Problem is, especially in an adversarial environment that absolute confidence we (well at least I ) have in ourselves comes off as ego, being cocky, thinking we know it all, etc, al.

I don't know what you need or do not need, but all people want the respect of others, and you are no exception; what matters is how you go about trying to gain that respect. Sorry, but around here good pilots are not looked upon any more favorably than newbie pilots. :D

One thing you don't seem to realise, is that I've trained well over one half of PXO's remaining numbers, and I do know this game inside out, and I do help out with that, by testing Cetty's missions, he likes us being the lab rat because then he knows no one else on pxo is likely to exceed it, ever.

oh, you do, do you? Alright, give me a list of all the warships known to be in the Deneb conflict, and tell me what ship model in the game has a bug that has a turret placed inside the model. :D

I do find it funny that you're blaiming our situation on us being 'too good' lol, interesting take considering the normal situation is 'we're not good enough' in other environments..and you called us cocky? hehehe...

Actually, you are indeed very good pilots; you just suck at everything else. :D (beams are "homo!" yaaaay.... :rolleyes: )

They have about the same amount of goodies, just that...you have to sift through more crap to find them in FS2, same reason I never bothered with a playstation, sure, it's gotta big range of games, but ....it's mostly a bigger range of crap(Compared to Nintendo).

But guess what, I say you have to sift through more crap in FS1 than FS2 to get to the "good missions", and I can prove just about every gamma function and zeta function theorem out there, so I am the master at this stuff and my word is god's word! h4w h4w h4w! ;7

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
And McCarthy did have a purpose, you still haven't met the shivan's at that point and it helped show what needed to be done to stop them, it was an OBVIOUS hint at what was gonna happen in a few missions (why did I just almost call it episodes? lol too much anime)

Not to mention

a) first testing of the Valkyrie interceptor pitting them against a standard issue fighter (not a god forsaken 30 year old bomber like it was in fs2)

b) retrieving something that was going to hurt the shivans, showing command knew and was doing something to prep themselves against the shivans (later on when you encounter them it's just a formality)

c) "I answer to a higher authority"...makes you wonder about stuff...well made me wonder about stuff...

d) not to mention that the mission was one of the better ones, disabling the omega and the rasputin, good targets for a first time disabling practice.....not too big not too small...

oh well

...Typo'd do for don't =PPP

I don't need to know the story line back to front, personally, I wouldn't care much if I had to, crap, what the hell use to I have in knowing a pointless fact like that? Ever tried reality? :rolleyes:

lol, CP, you're really proving how ignorant you are everytime you comment on the SSC, you don't know ANYTHING that went on down there, considering you were there sooooo much, I handled all those situations, damnit, BD, and Fahd, helping me, and quiz giving commentary/advice apart from when Stang and JaG came back to reclaim SSC-BW... that's about it.
The others, they've been recruited and come up through the membership quite well, the three admins at current were all recruited only recently, and have grown into greats pilots, they're good people too.

Maybe you should go back and read the FS forum, CP, maybe after you've covered the last, god knows how long you've been away you'd realise we're not just chatting crap, you don't know anything.

Your perception that we're too good is a bit bloody stupid too.
How can a person be too good?
I was still pushing myself when we retired as admins, and I still push myself and still expect more from myself when I get ingame, if it ain't 100% perfect, it ain't good enough. even then it could be better =PPP

If you're telling me games are for those who have no talent at playing them, I think you would need to check again, games are normally classed as competative, being that way, being bad at it, or ok, at it, is not competative, jeez, I couldn't stand around watching something die, or a team lose, or whatever, just because I wasn't giving enough to save it...

Host does not always have the highest score, admittedly, it is slightly easier for the host to win because they're shooting at live targets, however, This is mainly only because your average pilot doesn't understand 'lag' they don't compensate for it, and complain about 'ghost guns' or 'guns which don't work' unless your ping is over 300, you should never have a problem if it's over 400 then it's beyond the SW rules..  BD and I went through just about everyone on their host, Team config, or, 1on1 BD should have just dark left. This includes certain ultra lag hosts (aussie with bad hosts? or just bad linkage to us) the old vets on their hosts mashed 11-2 or better, what, we can't do much more to prove host adv is a losers way out of it if you lost, you lost.

there's another thing, I was close to equal to sleeper over a year ago, when he took me aside and showed me a few things, I readjusted my training and know that I'm better then he was then, now.

Skills DO Give better insights into playability, although you do need to test the lower levels for beginners, Most Fred Zone testing is done on Hard or Above in order to test all the functions work, if something breaks, it's noted, and checked on the lighter levels, it's faster, and more efficient.

But my main point is, until you know, either from me, BD, or the boards, what happened about the =SSC= and about PXO in the last hmm, 10-16months, shut up, you're making pathetic assumptions without enough knowledge to do so.

I could still do with that list of filler missions on FS1, CP. =P
« Last Edit: November 23, 2002, 01:00:15 pm by 456 »
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I don't need to know the story line back to front, personally, I wouldn't care much if I had to, crap, what the hell use to I have in knowing a pointless fact like that? Ever tried reality?

In other words, your assertion that you "know the game inside out" is false. :D This has nothing to do with the pointlessness of the fact, and you are only bringing up that issue to mask your previous statement.

lol, CP, you're really proving how ignorant you are everytime you comment on the SSC, you don't know ANYTHING that went on down there, considering you were there sooooo much, I handled all those situations, damnit, BD, and Fahd, helping me, and quiz giving commentary/advice apart from when Stang and JaG came back to reclaim SSC-BW... that's about it.
The others, they've been recruited and come up through the membership quite well, the three admins at current were all recruited only recently, and have grown into greats pilots, they're good people too.

Maybe you should go back and read the FS forum, CP, maybe after you've covered the last, god knows how long you've been away you'd realise we're not just chatting crap, you don't know anything.

That's what I am saying; there are quite a few more people around than just the two of you. I don't have time to read the whole thing right now, but here is what I observed: when I sort of became inactive, the division was a bit on the dead side, but there were still four or five people playing. When I returned, there were ten or so, and so things seem to have come back up. It is possible that you are completely right, but given your boasting in this thread, it is equally possible that it actually did not turn out that way. :p

Where did I say that? In fact, I said that you are not good enough, because you don't know about story plausibility. Learn to read. :D

I was still pushing myself when we retired as admins, and I still push myself and still expect more from myself when I get ingame, if it ain't 100% perfect, it ain't good enough. even then it could be better =PPP

how can it be better if it's perfect? I have no clue what you are saying here. :p

If you're telling me games are for those who have no talent at playing them, I think you would need to check again, games are normally classed as competative, being that way, being bad at it, or ok, at it, is not competative, jeez, I couldn't stand around watching something die, or a team lose, or whatever, just because I wasn't giving enough to save it...

Once, again, show where I said that. This is simply not a discussion on talent; it is a comparison between games, and thus nobody cares about skills here.

Host does not always have the highest score, admittedly, it is slightly easier for the host to win because they're shooting at live targets, however, BD and I went through just about everyone on their host, Team config, or, 1on1 BD should have just dark left.

slightly? I could almost always get double the kills when I was hosting since the primaries actually worked correctly.

there's another thing, I was close to equal to sleeper over a year ago, when he took me aside and showed me a few things, I readjusted my training and know that I'm better then he was then, now.

Perhaps you are. Like I said, my observations were taken over a year ago.

Skills DO Give better insights into playability, although you do need to test the lower levels for beginners, Most Fred Zone testing is done on Hard or Above in order to test all the functions work, if something breaks, it's noted, and checked on the lighter levels, it's faster, and more efficient.

Yes, and the results of these "better insights" are such far-reaching conclusions as "beams are homo." :D

They do not give any insights that are relevant to the comparison of two games, which is the subject matter here. Relevant to the comparison of certain ships/weapons/etc., sure, but not the games themselves.

But my main point is, until you know, either from me, BD, or the boards, what happened about the =SSC= and about PXO in the last hmm, 10-16months, shut up, you're making pathetic assumptions without enough knowledge to do so.

See earlier reply. From my point of view, both alternatives are equally possible.

I could still do with that list of filler missions on FS1, CP. =P

These are the clear-cut fillers; there are a number of others which are debatable, but here are those I can think of:

sm1-02a.fsm
sm1-08a.fsm
sm2-01a.fsm
sm2-02a.fsm
sm2-03a.fsm
sm2-04a.fsm
sm2-08a.fsm

That is not to say that filler missions are bad - quite the contrary, in terms of gameplay, they are sometimes superior to the story advancement missions - but FS2 was able to merge the two types together into single missions much better than FS1. (FS1 had more missions that clearly lie in either category, while most FS2 missions had some of both)

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by CP5670
One thing you don't seem to realise, is that I've trained well over one half of PXO's remaining numbers, and I do know this game inside out, and I do help out with that, by testing Cetty's missions, he likes us being the lab rat because then he knows no one else on pxo is likely to exceed it, ever.

So, why do you suggest that Fredders and modders who have designed several campaigns, lodded several ships do NOT know both games inside out? I can name the hitpoints of most FS2 ships by heart. Because I need to know that when I fred.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by BD

Not to mention

a) first testing of the Valkyrie interceptor pitting them against a standard issue fighter (not a god forsaken 30 year old bomber like it was in fs2)

b) retrieving something that was going to hurt the shivans, showing command knew and was doing something to prep themselves against the shivans (later on when you encounter them it's just a formality)

c) "I answer to a higher authority"...makes you wonder about stuff...well made me wonder about stuff...

d) not to mention that the mission was one of the better ones, disabling the omega and the rasputin, good targets for a first time disabling practice.....not too big not too small...

oh well

and you call the stealth mission a filler :rolleyes:
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by BD

And yet you never wondered at what Bosch was up to? Why Command let him escape? Why the shivans didn`t sortie a second lucifer or why the sathanas fleet choose to destroy Capella straight away instead of wiping out the GTVA first and then going back and doing it?  

Quite simply. You've admitted yourself that you've played multiplayer so much that singleplayer is no longer a challenge. While that is fine if all you want to ever do is play multiplayer it is a drawback if you ever want to play any of the campaigns that the teams here on HLP are working on. If the missions are no challenge why play them? It's evident you feel that way considering that you`ve tried so few campaigns.
 I guess there is a price to be paid for being the best and in my opinion its one I wouldn`t be willing to pay.
 However it's apparent you enjoy sticking to multiplayer so it isn`t a problem for you.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by CP5670

In other words, your assertion that you "know the game inside out" is false. :D This has nothing to do with the pointlessness of the fact, and you are only bringing up that issue to mask your previous statement.

I said I typo'd damnit, wake up.

That's what I am saying; there are quite a few more people around than just the two of you. I don't have time to read the whole thing right now, but here is what I observed: when I sort of became inactive, the division was a bit on the dead side, but there were still four or five people playing. When I returned, there were ten or so, and so things seem to have come back up. It is possible that you are completely right, but given your boasting in this thread, it is equally possible that it actually did not turn out that way. :p

In the European league, up until BD and I retired, the only two people who had flown matchs, apart from Fahd were BD and I.
We were in there to recover the locked nodes, and matchs, we did that, that was our only objective, along the way, we played, and beat, everyone.

Where did I say that? In fact, I said that you are not good enough, because you don't know about story plausibility. Learn to read. :D

I do, point is kiddo, the story isn't interactive enough considering the stunts we pull of CAN BE DONE, Therefore, they lack the plausibility to cater for the needs of those better then your own, just because you're alright in your little bubble, doesn't mean the programmers shouldn't find ways to do better for those with greater talents.

how can it be better if it's perfect? I have no clue what you are saying here. :p
I was refering to the human condition.
Not science.

Once, again, show where I said that. This is simply not a discussion on talent; it is a comparison between games, and thus nobody cares about skills here.

Talent was brought into it when people said 'the missiles don't work...uh buh buh...' and 'primaries are useless..wahhhh' for the two games, this is because THEY do NOT know how to use them properly, more fool you if you believe it's any different. This is why Skill matters.

slightly? I could almost always get double the kills when I was hosting since the primaries actually worked correctly.
There is VERY LITTLE difference between the way bd or I play on or off our hosts, apart from on our hosts (me especially) we're a little more lazy. This comment PROVES You really don't know how to play the multi, ok? Hush now.

Perhaps you are. Like I said, my observations were taken over a year ago.

I could write for hours on this comment, we developed a skill scale, in PXO, to help assist in our training, we eventually had to re-write it completely, when we discovered that there is a whole new level above the 'previous aces', such that, the top skill level of dark/sleeper are about 1/5 of what ours are/were, and I'm simply guessing at that figure (generously for dark..)

Yes, and the results of these "better insights" are such far-reaching conclusions as "beams are homo." :D

Would you prefer a full blown essay on how most beams are not dodgable by the skill of the player, which is what makes them completely against the concept of gaming in a nutshell, THIS ISNT A FILM, it's a game. I wouldn't mind so much if the first beam was unavoidable but the rest not, the others are simply reliant on tbl values and that is pathetic.

They do not give any insights that are relevant to the comparison of two games, which is the subject matter here. Relevant to the comparison of certain ships/weapons/etc., sure, but not the games themselves.
What do you think a game is?
Besides, I think BD and I ORIGINALLY Began discussing the STORYLINE, not the ships/weapons, that was brought on as a defence of the FS2 side of the (well I would call it a debate but one side is being over aggressive and the other being stupid, the middle ground being the only one not looking like an idiot for various reasons) argument...

These are the clear-cut fillers; there are a number of others which are debatable, but here are those I can think of:

sm1-02a.fsm
sm1-08a.fsm
sm2-01a.fsm
sm2-02a.fsm
sm2-03a.fsm
sm2-04a.fsm
sm2-08a.fsm

NAMES?!
I ain't lookin that up.
resists the get a life commentary...even more then throughout the rest of the last couple of posts...

That is not to say that filler missions are bad - quite the contrary, in terms of gameplay, they are sometimes superior to the story advancement missions - but FS2 was able to merge the two types together into single missions much better than FS1. (FS1 had more missions that clearly lie in either category, while most FS2 missions had some of both) [/B]

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Merge'em ehh? and bring out stuff like Stealth...lol, oh dear, tag test too...lol

I called stealth a filler because there is no real point to it in my mind, admittedly it intro's stealth but gyah, you know, it'd be better if it wasn't so boring, there's two main tactics open there, A) Follow'em around and shoot'em up, or B) Camp by the ship 'n' use MS... lol, anyone managed to keep the cruiser alive for a while?

Kara, you could make the campaigns have extra routes like FS2 should have and then make the success of one mission lead to a harder one, that would be nice :p

I have debated the reasons for the supernova before.....
on the VBB, maybe on here, and in person, I also wrote the start of a campaign on it, would be a damn good one, even for those 'elite pilots' because it's meant to be damn tough, and it's an engaging storyline, the biggest problem with it, was that I adapted it from a fanfic I wrote about FS1 a VERY long time ago, so it's very much based on the super duper alpha one thing you think is poor :p (although 'alpha one' is now a wing of four super elite wingmen controlled by ai and with survival thingy's in their SEXP's, the other problem was it was meant to be an end of freespace... the whole ending meaning the death of the shivans, could easily come in after BWO...

Stun - knowing Hitpoints is fine, but what the heck is that gonna do for you if you're against someone in a mk1 who could kill your Seraphim or whatever you wanted to be in that was insanely powerful compared to theirs?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2002, 02:42:12 pm by 456 »
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
What did you boldface your whole post for? :p

I said I typo'd damnit, wake up.

Oh that's what you were talking about. You did not quote anything above it, so it looked like you were referring to that post. :p

In the European league, up until BD and I retired, the only two people who had flown matchs, apart from Fahd were BD and I. We were in there to recover the locked nodes, and matchs, we did that, that was our only objective, along the way, we played, and beat, everyone.

I see, but then you have a third player there. I remember seeing one or two others before as well; did they play at all?

I do, point is kiddo, the story isn't interactive enough considering the stunts we pull of CAN BE DONE, Therefore, they lack the plausibility to cater for the needs of those better then your own, just because you're alright in your little bubble, doesn't mean the programmers shouldn't find ways to do better for those with greater talents.

So? You can do things like this in FS1 also (e.g. Ramses mission), things that the designers did not anticipate. Both games have this problem in some missions. Not much point in using arguments that work equally well against you, eh? :D

I was refering to the human condition.
Not science.

Actually, the human condition is science, but it doesn't matter here; you cannot be better than perfect by definition. :D

Talent was brought into it when people said 'the missiles don't work...uh buh buh...' and 'primaries are useless..wahhhh' for the two games, this is because THEY do NOT know how to use them properly, more fool you if you believe it's any different. This is why Skill matters.

Well, I cannot quite remember anyone saying that, but at least I never complained about it. Each game has weapons suited to the technology of its era so that they are relatively balanced.

There is VERY LITTLE difference between the way bd or I play on or off our hosts, apart from on our hosts (me especially) we're a little more lazy. This comment PROVES You really don't know how to play the multi, ok? Hush now.

I could just as easily say the opposite thing, given the evidence so far; this comment PROVES you really don't know how to play the multi, okay? Hush now. :D I have had this experience a number of times, and I know others have as well; do you remember how many and how much people were complaining about host guns on the VBB for its first two or so years of existence?

Actually, it really depends on the ping to other players. It is not really a problem if it is consistently around 200, but most of the games I have played are the 1000+ type. :p

I could write for hours on this comment, we developed a skill scale, in PXO, to help assist in our training, we eventually had to re-write it completely, when we discovered that there is a whole new level above the 'previous aces', such that, the top skill level of dark/sleeper are about 1/5 of what ours are/were, and I'm simply guessing at that figure (generously for dark..)

Alright, good for you. :D

Would you prefer a full blown essay on how most beams are not dodgable by the skill of the player, which is what makes them completely against the concept of gaming in a nutshell, THIS ISNT A FILM, it's a game. I wouldn't mind so much if the first beam was unavoidable but the rest not, the others are simply reliant on tbl values and that is pathetic.

What's the big deal there; it's not like they cause that much of a problem. Much better than having the ships nearly defenseless with their little terran turrets, at any rate. Also, by beams, we are talking about all beams, including anti-capital beams. Those are primarily what are so impressive.

What do you think a game is?

A game. :D

Besides, I think BD and I ORIGINALLY Began discussing the STORYLINE, not the ships/weapons, that was brought on as a defence of the FS2 side of the (well I would call it a debate but one side is being over aggressive and the other being stupid, the middle ground being the only one not looking like an idiot for various reasons) argument...

Exactly, so let's keep it to the story, shall we?

NAMES?!
I ain't lookin that up.
resists the get a life commentary...even more then throughout the rest of the last couple of posts...

I find the numbers much easier to remember, but here you go:

sm1-02a.fsm: The Field of Battle
sm1-08a.fsm: The Hammer and the Anvil
sm2-01a.fsm: The Aftermath
sm2-02a.fsm: The Big Bang
sm2-03a.fsm: La Ruota della Fortuna
sm2-04a.fsm: Where Eagles Dare
sm2-06a.fsm: Shell Game

And I wouldn't be talking about getting a life; I am not the one who spends all day practicing on getting mad skillz on PXO. Face it, we both have no life, and I for one am proud of it. :D

Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, Merge'em ehh? and bring out stuff like Stealth...lol, oh dear, tag test too...lol

so this is how our elite pilot argues; very impressive... :D
« Last Edit: November 23, 2002, 05:56:34 pm by 296 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Kara, you could make the campaigns have extra routes like FS2 should have and then make the success of one mission lead to a harder one, that would be nice :p

Easy to say. MUCH harder to do. My own campaign started off multi-threaded but once I appreciated how much extra work it was I decided not to bother much (there are a couple of threads) but it wasn`t worth making tonnes of extra missions especially considering that unlike wing commander you don`t have the option to roll back to an earlier point in a campaign and replay missions so a lot of people wouldn`t see my extra work.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

only need three or even two real different routes, screw the smaller details...hehe, I don't expect perfection, after all it is a game, however it would be nice for it to be a little influenced by the player, especially in something big like the Colossus...

The campaign for SSC in Euro was mainly to unlock nodes, it was precarious, and we had to win everything, I checked, Fahd played two matchs, both vs MC, one 3v3, and one he played with BD 2v2...

....I uhh....boldfaced it cuz uhh... it's boldy thing in the quote...I just clicked 'qoute post' wrote a lot of [quote ] [ /quote]'s and didn't notice the [b ] ;p

....Yeah....The Ramses mission annoys me to heck...
I'll look up the mission list (now I have the game names) in the strat guide when i get outta pxo (alt-tabby hehe)...
That strat guide is useless too, man it even gives out worse advice then newbie mistakes at points...lol... (FS1, ain't seen the FS2 one...for obvious reasons, didn't bother..)

I look at the human condition as philosophy...not really science, but the two mix...hehe...

about the cap beams, I can see that caps need defending, but, there's a famous quote from tribes that could apply here ..And yeah, it's always in caps...
BASES AREN'T DEFENDED BY MINES YOU IDIOT THEY'RE DEFENDED BY PEOPLE AND TURRETS

In FS that'd translate to 'They're not defended by turrets, but by fighters', at least I think so, but I'm an old skool FS1 pilot, we HAD to defend them back then...heh, it was an actual job...

I remember, all the complaints about host eri's and such, I was actually one of the people who complained, I tried to form an informal alliancy sort of thing for DSA to stop using Eri host if no one else uses it, they disagreed, cough.
Now, in the present, skill has gone far enough up that you can automatically adjust for pings --- providing they are stable, and they are not 300 plus (although it's about 250 plus for me..).

...For some reason (I mean, apart from the fact that it gives one of my friends motion sickness, it makes my pc lag and stutter, and it's buggy/crashy occasionally) nebula's annoy me...
all the testing missions were done in nebula's, with the weapons and ships I would never choose to use in my entire career, especially if my life depended on it...

And...I do have a life, or some form of it, apart from playing FS, which would take up a good chunk of time, but you can ask around, I'm hardly there anymore, I'm in University, if I'm not in university, I'm around a friends, or down town with a group of friends, I just let my 'time management' flow, I don't really plan...whatever happens happens..like err...most of my approaches to life...and fs too...my fighting is like water, it just flows O.o

BD, could you define "stuff"?  It's a recurring theme in your posts...and I'm curious what you mean when you say "you don't know stuff" and "makes me think about stuff."

only need three or even two real different routes, screw the smaller details...hehe, I don't expect perfection, after all it is a game, however it would be nice for it to be a little influenced by the player, especially in something big like the Colossus...

Demanding that the campaign writers make branching campaigns with several trees proves you know nothing about mission creation.  Derelict for example would end up being hundreds of missions, as well as any of the 30+ mission campaigns.  As if they don't take long enough!!  
Furthermore, why would :V: build in a whole extra mission, or even pay Loggia for another clip of speech, for the dozen or so players who can save the Colossus!?  When the game's going to get played by tens of thousands of people, its stupid and foolhardy to add in extras for perhaps the 20 that could possibly accomplish that stunt.
And what does this have to do with FS1 vs FS2, anyway?  FS1 didn't have a branching storyline either...so...what's your point?

Finally...multiplayer.  Congratulations, QD and BD, you are MP gods.  Fantastic.  What does this have to do with comparing FS1 and FS2?  Oh, nothing, that's right.  You think because you're good pilots, you are somehow more capable of judging story, model and texture quality, voice acting, new additions to the gameplay (beams, flak, missiles that don't track by following the target, etc.), and mission design (funny, since you're saying you know more about good mission design than mission designers).  

Why do nebulas annoy you?  If anything they should provide somewhat of a greater challenge (maybe not to you, oh grand-master of Freespace piloting, but to the masses buying the game, yeah).  I've never had a nebula-caused crash...or encountered a bug anywhere in a nebula mission...get a better computer :P  

All this bickering over the SSC has absolutely nothing to do with FS1 vs. FS2  
:wtf:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2002, 07:55:58 pm by 661 »

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.

been looking for an excuse to use that...   :D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2002, 12:16:00 am by 675 »
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

My graphical aid.
Ruri from Nadesico...
Incredibly intelligent pre-teen...hehe.

Audio Aid!

You can't get owned by fools, and those who make defencive points that hold no ground other then that of 'laziness' or 'complaicence'.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2002, 12:32:12 am by 456 »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Originally posted by Knight Templar

been looking for an excuse to use that...   :D

Yeah I have one for graphical aid here too

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
wow thats bright...

col? Which project is that?

Too Long, Didn't Read

If you mean mine...it was called Jenova... never announced, and now permanently on the back burner until I get time...
Which will be summer....heh

If you mean kara...dunno, we'll see O.o

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
uh, the one BD used.. I guess he's on your team.

So you have a quiet campaign. Does that mean you are a mission designer or what?

Too Long, Didn't Read

...Technically, I mainly only design missions for training purposes, however I couldn't resist having 'one great project' heh...

There's two main tasters of my work still remaining, Jenova the beginning, which is affectively a convoy escort, (...convoy of four desties :p)
that's FS2..
And there was a mission I made for FS1 called Jenova, which is probably my best work...
still got it somewhere...if not bd should do...

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
well thats cool.

I'm just going to use this post to point out mission designers can't fly..

:rolleyes:

Too Long, Didn't Read