Poll

Which game is better, Freespace 1 or Freespace 2?

Descent/Conflict: FreeSpace - The Great War
21 (38.2%)
FreeSpace 2
34 (61.8%)

Total Members Voted: 55

Voting closed: October 23, 2002, 11:48:25 am

Author Topic: FS1 or FS2  (Read 57385 times)

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
  • I'm a magic man, I've got magic hands.
meh, i think i speak for everyone when i say SILENT THREAT OWNED!!

*hastly takes off fur coat and Target-Brand shirt and runs*

;)

Seriously though, FS1 owned everything around at the time (only thing i had that was close was XWA) but it was only "good" next to FS2.

FS1 (off the top of my head) = Lucifer ("invincible" juggernaught)
                                                Hammer of Light
                                                Athena
                                                Cutscenes
                                                Missions where the shivans were unknown

FS2 (off the top of my head) = Robert Luggia
                                                 Beams
                                                 Better Fighters
                                                 Nebulas
                                                 Shivan Beams
                                                 Flak
                                                Snipes
                                                 Bosch + Neo Terra
                                                 Colosuss (:doubt: )
                                                 Maxim
                                                 Into the Lions Den
                                                 Excellent Story, not as predictable until last 2 missions
                                                 No stupid Map Errors
                                                 FRED2

I think i like FS2 better overall, but its a hard choice. Its like picking between children. Sure your first born is an ugly lil f**k, but he had his charms that were original at the time.
Copyright ©1976, 2003, KT Enterprises. All rights reserved

"I don't want to get laid right now. I want to get drunk."- Mars

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by MD-2389
FS1 overall is better.  FS1 gave a sense of urgency while FS2 was like "Ohh, we're better than you damn shivans so sod off eh!"

yes, and when the Sathanas fleet comes around, it all takes a much more interesting turn. Shows how arrogant humans are.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Graphics issues and the like aside, I tend to look upon them both as the same game. :nervous: The same story. Just at a different stage of the story.

Well, that's what I think. :shaking: I'll see myself out.

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
FS2. Period. Sucka.

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
yes, and when the Sathanas fleet comes around, it all takes a much more interesting turn. Shows how arrogant humans are.

"Now with the Colosuss on our side, humanity will have nothing to fear."

next breifing

"Despite the victory, the Colossus has sustained moderate damage to her hull, which remains at 80%. Alliance Technicians suspect it will take several months for the repairs to be completed."

:rolleyes: stupid humans...

Too Long, Didn't Read

Offline Hudzy

• Apollo Pilot
Yeah, that was a bit odd. Especially since I made sure it didn't take ANY damage at all.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
And I made sure for it's hull to drop to 40% :)

FS2 had the great american 'bigger is better' syndrome, which was....fulla crap...
Graphics were better yes, music was not...
Voice actor?
They had two people worth it, snipes and Our admiral...woo...

FS, Whilst most people weren't held as really that important, /ALL/ the voice actors did a good job in carrying the storyline, and someone was saying about you never being there for important moments in FS1....
err........
errrr............
ERRRRRRRRRRRR........ did you ever even play it?
Last mission.
Failure to communicate.
Reaching the Zenith.
Black Omega.
Galatea's Death.
Killin the Eva.
Fool...

Also, whilst FS2 had so many twists by the end of the plot you were bored because it was so anticlimatic it was like a bad american thriller, FS1 was all about survival, you had an urge to win or die, FS2? "Oh it's a big ship ahh we're the GTVA, we'll just chuck our own big ships out there!!yeah!! go team!!" uhuh...
FS2 was so full of plot holes and glitches I can't even begin to cover them all, so blah.....
FS1's playability is superior IMHO apart from a good TvT Multi FS2.
Beams?
...Homo.
Flak?
Worse...

FS1 actually hit you with a sense of loss, FS2 left you with sheet, 'oh man, we lost cappella...aww... bearing in mind we've done almost nothing in the storyline to connect you to cappella so why should you really care that you lost the system? oh well we stopped the shivans :lol:' weak.

I could really go on for hours...
FS1 > FS2.
FS2 < Graphically and Multi FS1.
FS2's playability was worth a kipper, that's about it.
meh. Baka..-_-
« Last Edit: November 03, 2002, 11:06:54 am by 456 »
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Easy there Sparky, in that last thread I discovered most people can't appreciate some of those things cuz they just can't fly like us ;)

Tastes differ and most people settled with the platonic, which isn't really a surprise ;)

mental note....people like being lazy...
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
bah, having a "desperate" feeling just for its own sake makes no sense; the story needs to be realistic... :p (I suppose the best campaign story then would be one where every terran and vasudan in the galaxy is dead except for you :D)

It was realistic, we got our butts kicked, and Command didn't try to delude itself that it could win with big ships O.o

.....And uhh, that's another thing that annoyed me....GTVA Command...I almost let 3rd fleet HQ die just because the guy pished meh orf O.o

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It was basically just "save the earth from the big bad aliens;" granted, it was certainly as polished as it could possibly become from that basic premise, but this core plot is unrealistic and overused; FS2 had a better core plot to start with and more polish as well.

Actually, I think an even better story then would be when everyone and everything is dead including you! :D :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2002, 11:34:22 am by 296 »

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
It was realistic, we got our butts kicked, and Command didn't try to delude itself that it could win with big ships O.o

.....And uhh, that's another thing that annoyed me....GTVA Command...I almost let 3rd fleet HQ die just because the guy pished meh orf O.o

I actually.....let it die

Originally posted by CP5670
It was basically just "save the earth from the aliens;" granted, it was certainly as polished as it could get from that basic premise and the best one of that type out there, but it was no FS2.

Thank god, I figure at least we knew where we were at and what we had to do. In fs2 there was so much BORING stuff...

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
it is remote-desructed anyway at the end of that mission, so it doesn't really matter... :D

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
yes it did for me

and....

"THIS IS THE MESSANA, NOW BLAH BLAH BLAH"

DIE!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Knight Templar

• Stealth
i haven't read a post this funny in five minutes.

you guys sound like babeling idiots. We all have our Opionions, yes. But i didn't even know where i was or why it was so important to protect Delta Serpintis in FS1, because all my maps were telling me you could get to Earth from Alpha Centauri. :rolleyes:

I only remember a little of the voice acting. It was ok, but it felt "old" or kinda 80's or something. Sounded like too much fake drama (i.e. Colossus) FS2 (bar colossus) voice acting was good i think.

I don't quite remember, but i think the wingmates may have been more interactive in FS1, or at least you got to know them more. That or it was completely oposite :D

the FS1 "Covert Operation" (with the dragon) sucked arse. "My God, its the Lucifer!" well no sh1t sherlock, all those ships were in the lucifer battle group...:rolleyes:

Snipes 0wns. i'm sittin' there, havin' a jolly good time with my speakers up and waiting for it to load, drinking some soda and all the sudden " DIVE DIVE DIVE !! HITCHURE BURNERS PILOT!!" i'm thinkin "AW SH1T!!" and of course i am 2 seconds late for what he said, i pull up instead and just barely (BARELY = 10 meters) make it over the bad boy. :yes: :yes:

Oh yeah, FS2 has beams,  those were pretty cool, and came out of nowwhere for me in the 1st mission. "woa... that was cool"

Only thing i miss is HoL. they were cool. Also, wouldn't it make sense if they had FLak in FS1? It's kinda low tech seeing as how they have it today and have had it for a long time.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 08:37:24 pm by 675 »

Too Long, Didn't Read

I prefered FS2, mostly becuase there was a bit more action involved in the battles.  FS1 battles were too slow, but with beams the scale and pace of intership battles was just more inpressive.

...i played FS2 before i playyed the first, so my preception of it is a bit odd, i knew most of what happened in FS1 before i played it, so the storyline didn't have much interest for me :blah:

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Originally posted by QuantumDelta
FS2 had the great american 'bigger is better' syndrome, which was....fulla crap...

So now its a nationality problem?  Right...your argument doesn't start off very strong.

Graphics were better yes, music was not...
Voice actor?
They had two people worth it, snipes and Our admiral...woo...

Graphics were MUCH improved, no more blurry textures.  How was the music different?  Seemed pretty similar to me.
As for voice acting, Petrarch and Snipes were fantastic voice actors.  That kind of talent is found nowhere in FS1.  And the squadron commanders played their parts well without sucking.  Listen to some of the loss debriefings and see how pissed off they can get.

FS, Whilst most people weren't held as really that important, /ALL/ the voice actors did a good job in carrying the storyline

And they didn't in FS2?  Explain yourself.  What about the first nebula mission?  Or the third mission where Bosch escapes Deneb?  Or Kappa 3?  They didn't advance the storyline?

Also, whilst FS2 had so many twists by the end of the plot you were bored because it was so anticlimatic it was like a bad american thriller

Once again the nationality card.  Anyone else seeing a pattern here?
And you're still not explaining yourself.  A huge supernova isn't climatic?  And twists and turns are meant to make a story interesting, not monotonous (aka FS1), and the only reason they could bore someone is if they don't have the capacity to follow what's going on.  Try playing FS2 through again, maybe you'll pick it up this time.

FS1 was all about survival, you had an urge to win or die, FS2? "Oh it's a big ship ahh we're the GTVA, we'll just chuck our own big ships out there!!yeah!! go team!!" uhuh...

Straw man.  You're being blinded by the Colossus.  How many times did you use the Colossus against the Shivans again?  Oh, twice.  And it got wasted the second time.  If you want a real argument, try attacking the actual game and not some skewed perception of it, because FS2 was not centered around the Colossus.
And once again you fail to explain yourself.  How was FS2 NOT about survival?  If the Shivans win, they swarm into Gamma Draconis and invade the GTVA.  You didn't sense any urgency during Clash of the Titans II?  Because if the Bastion doesn't make it to that node, Terrans and Vasudans are finished, done for, extinct.  "This is our Alamo, pilots.  We hold them here...or we die trying."

FS2 was so full of plot holes and glitches I can't even begin to cover them all, so blah.....

Don't even talk about plot holes in FS2 if you're comparing it to FS1.  As KT said so well about FS1: "But i didn't even know where i was or why it was so important to protect Delta Serpintis in FS1, because all my maps were telling me you could get to Earth from Alpha Centauri."
I had no idea where the Galatea was in FS1, because the briefings were never consistent with what system we were in.  I remember looking at a node map and being extremely confused...that didn't really help the story either.

Beams?
...Homo.
Flak?
Worse...

This is just laughable.  Beams were not only visually and audibly stunning, they provided a ton of extra depth to FS2 by introducing capship combat.  Would you rather sit there for hours and hours waiting for the Colossus to destroy the Sathanas with laser turrets??  Not to mention, they also gave capships some fighter defense, so it was actually a (oh my god) challenge to attack capships!  Flak accomplished the same thing, it was visually impressive, sounded awesome, and gave it some effective anti-fighter/anti-bomber cover (at least, more effective than turrets).
Try explaining yourself, you know, back up your babbling rant with some reasons instead of "homo" and "worse."

FS1 actually hit you with a sense of loss, FS2 left you with sheet, 'oh man, we lost cappella...aww... bearing in mind we've done almost nothing in the storyline to connect you to cappella so why should you really care that you lost the system? oh well we stopped the shivans :lol:' weak.

Yes, FS1 had the Galatea, and Vasuda, and the node to Sol.  You felt loss for those, but you didn't feel loss when the Psamtik got wasted?  What about when the Colossus went down with 30,000 crew aboard?  Maybe when you abandoned 3rd fleet HQ to to make a final retreat?  Surely when the Bastion detonated inside the node?  Perhaps when the supernova vaporized the trailing elements of the final convoy to Vega?  
Sounds like you have selective-loss feeling.  You only feel loss because its FS1, and you're so prejudiced against FS2, that you don't feel a thing.

It was realistic, we got our butts kicked, and Command didn't try to delude itself that it could win with big ships

You think if the GTA had the Colossus in FS1, they wouldn't have used it?  Ridiculous, the GTA plain didn't have big ships or the capacity to build them.  It has nothing to do with deluding themselves of anything.
And in case you didn't make it to the end of FS2, we got our butts kicked again.

And uhh, that's another thing that annoyed me....GTVA Command...I almost let 3rd fleet HQ die just because the guy pished meh orf

I suppose if you took him out, we would have had no idea what the hell was going on.  He was integral to every mission.  
Maybe you just didn't like him because he was black. (Just kidding!!)[/u]

In any event, next time, try to make some coherent arguments instead of groundless statements and strawman attacks.  FS1 is a great game, but FS2 owns it by far.  In response to you:
FS2 > FS1
« Last Edit: November 11, 2002, 06:54:22 pm by 661 »