Author Topic: "Free" Subspace  (Read 6473 times)

Ok, we all know what the subspace corridors between systems with jump nodes look like. But what I'm wondering is, when you jump out of the area after a mission with your ship - what does that subspace look like? Should I expect it to just be a corridor or should it be something else?

I'm asking this because I'm running an idea around in my head about something that we might want to do with the FS2 Source code project, and this would be an issue with it.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
in-system jumps are nearly instantaneous.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Solatar

Yah, you powerup your drives, and go into the little warp thingy, then pop-out somewhere else.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Sez so in the FS Reference Bible.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
And besides, when you call for reinforcements or resupply they appear instantly.  That would be sort of hard to do if you had to transverse subspace instead of making a point-to-point jump.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Shrike
in-system jumps are nearly instantaneous.

Only for fighters.

The NTCv Belisarius, a Deimos-class corvette, has run our blockade of the Sirius jump node. We are now tracking the vessel through subspace. We have vectored its course to your immediate vicinity.

The Belisarius is already in subspace when that message is sent yet it takes about 15 seconds more for it to arrive near the player.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kazashi

Originally posted by karajorma

The Belisarius is already in subspace when that message is sent yet it takes about 15 seconds more for it to arrive near the player.

Was the Belisarius making an in-system jump, or an interstellar one? I can no longer remember :shaking:
Blatant advertising #1: Keep the Blood flowing!

Blatant advertising #2: Visit TheDDRZone now!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Kazashi

Was the Belisarius making an in-system jump, or an interstellar one? I can no longer remember :shaking:

I'd say insystem.... i don't remember a jumpnode being in the first mission.

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
Unless the vessel had already gotten out of the node when command sent the message and jumped again for in-system travel and took 15 seconds for the deimos to arrive at our location.... In that condition then larger vessels would be reduced in subspace travel speed, but not by much. If fighters/bombers are instantaneous and corvettes take 15 seconds then it looks like a good 40-60 seconds for destroyers and juggernauts.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
well, they said that the vessel would come out of subspace momentarily, so they could have vectored it's course while it was powering up jump drives.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Solatar

I would say that the larger the vessel, the less instantanious the jump effect is. Also, the distance of the jump effects it. A fighter going from one side of a planet to another would be there instantly, while a fighter going from one side of the system to another would be in subspace a little while.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
If the FS Bible says intrasystem jumps are instantaneous, I'd say it is wrong.  That doesn't make any sense.  It might be short time, but not instantaneous.  It takes fighters some time to get through subspace, just like it did the Deimos.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2002, 05:02:09 pm by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Ulundel

• Big press poppa
Just take the distance between Sol and Delta Serpentis, then some random in system distance and figure it out.

Someone call CP

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
It might be just some really short amount of time (i.e. 1/10 of a second) but I also don't think that the fighter drives would be truly instantaneous, as this is not really consistent with the larger ship times.

Just take the distance between Sol and Delta Serpentis, then some random in system distance and figure it out.

Someone call CP

:D Well it seems that the actual positions of the places where the ships warp in/out have little to do with the time required, at least if the nodemap is any indication. (e.g. Alpha Centauri is much closer than DS but it would take much longer to get there using subspace)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2002, 05:34:21 pm by 296 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Stunaep
well, they said that the vessel would come out of subspace momentarily, so they could have vectored it's course while it was powering up jump drives.

That would only give them direction and not distance so they still wouldn`t be sure that the Belisarius going.
 Even if that isn't true (like there was only one place of interest in that direction) capships don`t actually appear to need to turn before entering subspace. Every time I`ve seen a capship jump out it just jumps in the direction it was last facing.

Lastly there's a 20 second or so delay between the first message and the appearance of the Belisarius. If subspace is instantanious for capships what was the Belisarius doing in that time? Why would they send a message that they are tracking the Belisarius through subspace when it hasn`t even left yet? Surely the message would say that the Belisarius is preparing to jump and for the psamtik to get ready in case it does.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
subspace tracking, first used to destroy the Lucifer, requires you see the ship enter subspace, there fore it can be assumed that the mesage was sent just before the ship entered subspace, now lets say the two points are on oposite ends of the system, and lets say it takes about five\ten seconds for the larger vessle to enter/exit subspace, with a delay of twenty seconds that gives somewere between 10 and 0 seconds for transit time averege that out to 5 for a very long trip across a system, compare that to seven minutes and it is nearly instantainius,

so for implementing in system just into the game I would show the warp model, as soon as the eye point passes through the cull plain of the warpout effect render only the subspace model,
for about a second or two then do the same thing you did for the warpout only when the eye passes the cull plain show the new sceen,
while in subspace load any new data files you may need
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

....Actually according to bosian theory, which is probably about the closest thing we have to FS2's subspace thingy...
It's kinda possible to suggest that time travel is viable through subspace...

Besides that point.
Kala, as much as I hate to admit it :P
Has a point, subspace communication isn't instantaneous either is it? if it was then ok, the bel is coming in real time with the communication, but if it takes a few extra seconds for the transmission to get there?

If Inter-System subspace would have to be described, most current theories, and other forms of speculation (Sci-fi O.o) would suggest it would just be the same as normal space, except, with absolutely nothing apart from bosian particles and an energistic representation of the objects you are passing while in subspace...

Hmm, not sure how to give you an idea of what it really looks like though, considering it is all theory, it's normally represented as several red/dark red/purple colours, and can seem like layers of space pealing back, but I don't really think FS went into that much detail about their science :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Has a point, subspace communication isn't instantaneous either is it? if it was then ok, the bel is coming in real time with the communication, but if it takes a few extra seconds for the transmission to get there?

Communication in FS2 must be instantanious. Command isn`t present yet seems to instantly know what is going on even when you are on a mission millions of miles away from your base.

Another event that fits with subspace not being instantious is the events in Feint, Parry, Ripost. While it should take a while for Koth's ship to leap in (the NTF cruisers would have had to call for help etc) the collossus should have been able to leap in the instant that the Repulse was sighted as it was waiting for the trap to spring. Yet it takes nearly a minute for it to do so.

I guess this makes sense if size makes a difference but distance (within the same gravity well at least) doesn't. Photons travel through subspace instantly, fighters less than a second or two, corvettes 30 seconds or so, the colossus about a minute.

Bosian theory has two waves, the retrospect and the aspect, the retrospect is a theoretical wave that would travel backwards through time from the point it was originated in, this theorum links time and space....

Particles that could be effected by this retrospect wave, would be able, in theory, to transverse through any point in the space time continumm (providing it's already happened).

According to current science the retrospect doesn't do much, however in theory it could be used to dictate the time at which something would 'arrive' after its 'left', the aspect is a more physical wave that would dictate where the things would arrive, however with current physics models it also dictates the time (because obviously you have to travel through space which takes time so the aspect will control how long it takes to arrive at the vectored exit point), normally the aspect 'controls' and 'covers' the retrospect because aspect waves are much more powerful...
I'll need to re-read some stuff before I can explain it anymore then that...
Sorry, it's been a while....lol

But yes, you're right, for plots sake at least subspace comms must be real time, the point is, if the subspace drives use bosian theory, they could arrive instantaneously, or in a hundred years, and the only difference to the people onboard the said driven ship would be what they noticed when they got out the other side...
....in theory though, it's instantaneous (intersystem) for the people who're in subspace, it's just not so instantaneous for everyone else.....
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
From the FSRefBible
Subspace Technology

While travel into subspace is enabled via ship-borne devices (called “subspace engines”, “cores”, or “motivators”), it’s long been known that subspace itself is a naturally-occuring phenomena.  

Subspace, for the intents of this document, is an alternate physical plane of space where the normal limits of relativistic physics and travel don’t apply.  By entering subspace for a relatively brief period of time, a space vessel can emerge in a location in realspace several star systems away.  This technology has allowed the human race to spread across much of the known Galaxy.

There are essentially two modes of subspace travel, inter-system and intra-system.

Intra-system subspace travel is nearly instantaneous, and requires relatively little energy input to enable.  Most of the GTA’s advanced fighters are equipped with intra-system jump motivators, allowing them to travel at will within a given star system.  There is little or no restriction on the beginning and end points of such a subspace “hop,” except that they be in the same star system.  

Inter-system travel via subspace is another matter entirely.  The end points of inter-system subspace jumps are limited to the naturally-occuring focal points of subspace, also known as “nodes.”  These nodes were initially discovered by Prof. J. Whiteside (see McPherson’s Multipaedia  (2557 ed.), pp 1132-1140).  Only between two subspace nodes is the fabric of subspace strong enough to support inter-system travel.  The defense of the physical locations surrounding such nodes proved to be a central part of the 14-year Terran-Vasudan War.

In addition, such massive amounts of energy input are required to open an inter-system node, that only the largest fusion pile reactors in existence are able to sustain it.  As a result, inter-system subspace travel is almost exclusively made by the largest vessels in production.  This fact has made the GTA’s Orion-class destroyer/carriers a pivotal and crucial part to the GTA’s tactical forces during the T-V War.

Needless to say, the ability to deliver ships of war to nearly any pinpointed destination has forever revolutionized the concepts and long-standing tenants of space combat.

Pre-FS2, of course.......