Author Topic: "Free" Subspace  (Read 6508 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
....in theory though, it's instantaneous (intersystem) for the people who're in subspace, it's just not so instantaneous for everyone else.....

Makes sense. I thought of it myself when I thought about subspace taking time months ago but I forgot about it when it was time to mention it here :D

It does also fit with what's in the reference bible unless the bible says WHO it's instantanious for :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma

Makes sense. I thought of it myself when I thought about subspace taking time months ago but I forgot about it when it was time to mention it here :D

It does also fit with what's in the reference bible unless the bible says WHO it's instantanious for :)

What if inter-system jumps can continue straight into an intrasystem jump?

Too much energy needed, and it would also not work with the storyline, heh...
In theory (bosian anyway) there's no difference between intersystem and intrasystem apart from a) energy needed and b) the amount of bosian particles needed, you'd also need to accomodate for mass.
What bosian does avoid, however, is gravitation effects, and the limitations of the light barrier considering you're moving in /time/ and not in space, ....which goes against most of the 'more factual' scientific theorums...
uhh, but yeah, it's basically for the plot, heh...
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
How's about....  ships can remain in subspace from the more unstable regions between systems and straight into the system's subspace.... but they can't do the inverse (travel intersystem straight from intrasystem) due to the initial power expenditure to enter subspace in a node.  That way, you can track ships into intersystem jumps ala the Belisarius, but you can still justify blockading the 'entry' nodes with a fleet (not to mention being able to blockade the 'exit' node would make it fairly easy to defend systems).

OF course, I think the Bearbeating mission may contradict this with the Saths' movement....?

Nope, it says in a few command briefings in FS1 and 2 "Although Shivans' may have used jump-nodes we don't know about, or nodes too volitile for travel, our scientists garantee that they are as dependant on jump nodes as we are"
I'm just saying the closest RL Science to the jump drive says that it IS possible...just that it takes way too much power to incriment a jump inside a jump...which is what that is O.o
If you think about it like this.
In reality, the theory goes 'You go where you want first time, or you go where you want, then get there then go somewhere else'
in FS 'You can't go where you want, you are constricted, you may not leave the system unless you do so by certain secured tunnels' in reality, those tunnels, are everything.
You wouldn't need nodes....
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by QuantumDelta
Nope, it says in a few command briefings in FS1 and 2 "Although Shivans' may have used jump-nodes we don't know about, or nodes too volitile for travel, our scientists garantee that they are as dependant on jump nodes as we are"
I'm just saying the closest RL Science to the jump drive says that it IS possible...just that it takes way too much power to incriment a jump inside a jump...which is what that is O.o
If you think about it like this.
In reality, the theory goes 'You go where you want first time, or you go where you want, then get there then go somewhere else'
in FS 'You can't go where you want, you are constricted, you may not leave the system unless you do so by certain secured tunnels' in reality, those tunnels, are everything.
You wouldn't need nodes....

Stuff sciense... ;7

IMO, it is possible for a capship to continue in subspace after it enters a system...intra-sys jumps are very simple to execture and don;t need much power.....  the point is that a jump is possible ANYWHERE subspace is stable enough.  Buti's not stable enough between systems to allow, say, staggered jumps to traverse anywhere - so you rely on nodes.

Nice ;)

Anyway - the reason why it does the 'through the node, then stop, then back into subspace'

See briefing three or four of FS1...
"The Galatea will jump into the system, reset it's co-ordinates and then continue on it's journey to the repair depot at [system]"

It does that in the shell game too, I think, either that or it's that mission I'm on about....errrrzzzztttttt.....*shorts out too much memory access*

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
King's Gambit is shows that you MUST exit subspace at a jump node. If you can exit elsewhere why didn`t the NTF jump out in GD in a place that didn`t have GTVA warships and 3 mjolnirs guarding it.

That said if you want to keep your theory for your campaigns Aldo you can always say that GD was a special case cause it had no planets.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
King's Gambit is shows that you MUST exit subspace at a jump node. If you can exit elsewhere why didn`t the NTF jump out in GD in a place that didn`t have GTVA warships and 3 mjolnirs guarding it.

That said if you want to keep your theory for your campaigns Aldo you can always say that GD was a special case cause it had no planets.

It's just an idle theory, anyways.....