Author Topic: Freespace 2 FTP Server - HOTU 2 Full  (Read 175569 times)

Offline Fractux

Well, I came home afer 2 days to find a nice warning message that a very nasty trojan had been found on my computer, which is being used as the temporary ftp server. Seems a friend of my brother's has been looking at some "questionable" sites when he's come over to my place, and installed this (unintentionally of course). Time to lock the computer again :)

Anyways, the FTP may not be up until tomorrow, or later today if i get everything assessed and back up.
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Questionably illegal or questionably naked? :D

Either way you have to do something unspeakable to him in return. Anyone who ever downloaded a virus onto my computer would be on the recieving end of a revenge plan so evil the Marquis De Sade would run screaming from it :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fractux

OK, she's back up and running. Enjoy :)

Offline varus

Quick question about the FTP server.  I found the HotU download about a year and a half ago, downloaded it and really liked Freespace.  However, I got some files corrupted or something, and when I went to re-download it, only to discover it was temoprorarily removed due to Interplay's anniversary edition.  Anyway, I got frustrated with not having it recently, and googled Freespace 2 in an attempt to find another download site.  I ended up here, and decided to recheck the HotU link, as the site said the download was up.  Managed to re-acquire FS2 (two days ago actually) and started playing it again, in my spare time (such as it is).  However, I've discovered that if I bump the difficulty level up higher than easy, it would be very nice to have the voice files (one example is the third real mission, where I ran into a situation of I was dueling an NTF cruiser - and nearly getting killed by it - without needing to, because I'd ignored the text messages on top, which told me Psamitik had jumped in and would handle the cruisers.)

I've been trying to access the FTP server for the past several days, but every time I try to it prompts me for a password.  I put in 1234, and it prompts me again, and repeats this process 8-10 times, before telling me "The FTP session was terminated".  What am I doing wrong?  (or has the server just been too busy every time I've checked?)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
What program are you using to access the FTP?

Offline Fractux

The FTP server is almost full 24/7, so it is difficult to connect to.

Make sure of the following things in your ftp client:

1] Passive FTP is enabled.
2] Multiple client connections are disabled.

Also note, the ftp might go of line tonight for a few days due to a change to our domain.

Cheers!

Offline Vox

• Banned
Heh, that would explain the extreme slowness.

Lets hope my download is finished before you shut 'er down :doubt:

Offline varus

I'm using IE to try to do it.  O well.  I guess I'll get on sooner or later.

Varus i'm having exactly the same problem.  It continuously prompts me for passwords after i've already entered 1234, then after a few tries it comes up:
Windows cannot access this folder.  Make sure you typed the file name correctly and that you have permission to access this folder.
Details: The FTP session was terminated.

I've been trying for around an hour now but it keeps doing that.
Jesse - "Brennan's reading, Shalimar's cleaning up, and Emma...Emma's playing chess by herself and still getting her ass kicked."
Emma - "I HEARD THAT!"
---------------------------------------------
Jerri - "Of course, you've got plenty to show off yourself here big guy."
Todd - "She's got X-Ray vision."
Brennan - "Oh... HEY!"

Offline nedski

Can I suggest you guys try a better ftp client than just using IE?  You don't have much control over options (e.g. PASV, connection limiting) with it, and there are a lot of files, so I would imagine it's going to be a nightmare to download with.

I scheduled all the folders I needed to download using FTPVoyager and just left it to run.  There are other FTP clients like that too.

N.

Offline Fractux

To make it easier for everybody, the status of the FTP server will now be displayed on the front page, so if you can connect it will tell you.

And if the server is down, i won't have to come back and update it.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 12:41:18 pm by 1248 »

Offline Fractux

I just set up a dialup account so that you on dialup can log in to seperate accounts.

Cheers!

Offline varus

Another question - I finally managed to get on (again, using IE for it, don't have other stuff), and I got stu_fs2 started, which I'm really happy about.  (stu and warble are my priorities.  high res would be nice, but I doubt my machine could handle it.  I'm still using a PII 330 MHz, 128 mb ram so I'm the type of machine FS2 was designed for).  

However, shortly after starting the download, the server kicked me out, preventing me from even browsing the other files, much less downloading them.  Its still continuing the file transfer though.  Any idea what I might have done wrong?

Offline nedski

Maybe IE is using an extra connection to browse the files whilst downloading?

N.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Maybe it considers browsing and downloading as two seperate tasks and therefore you can only do one at a time.

Offline Fractux

IE probably did try to initiate another conection, as repeated attempts to make additional connections result in an automated 5 minnute temporary ban on any connections.

You really should get an FTP client so you don`t have to deal with all this needless hassle.

Geeze what am I doing on the computer, I`m supposed to be relaxing out here... see you guys later :)

God damn it's impossible to get on! :(

Offline Forinec

Lol. I know how you feel. Try the other FTP server and see how that goes.

Edit: Oops, I didn't notice your post in that thread.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2004, 01:20:26 am by 2068 »

Offline z80

There is also a Torrent around for the Full 3 CD ISO version

http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/1713/Freespace_2.torrent

and at

http://prototype24.no-ip.org:6969/

I got it myself so i can confirm its working

Im trying the bittorrent but it's going at 2kbs. :mad: