Author Topic: Freespace 2 FTP Server - HOTU 2 Full  (Read 175502 times)

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
z80: I think you should remove those links because those are Warez and those are illegal.
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline varus

Finally got on the broadband server, with FTP Voyager.  :)

Took a long time, but I got all of the ones I wanted for now (didn't download the movies, but I don't care that much about them.  Also, with all the files, my hard disk is down to a whopping 468 MB free - the wonders of a P2-330 Mhz, 128 MB ram and a 9.3 gig hard drive.  Got to love ancient technology)

That leads me to a question - is it possible to somehow re-create CDs so I don't need all the *.vp's on the hard disk, but can somehow run them off a CD?  (yes, my super old computer DOES have a CD burner,  and a somewhat new one, which is probably worth more than the entire rest of the system put togeather).

Also, will FS2 automatically use the high-res files, or do I need to go somewhere to tell it to use them?

Offline Molish

UPDATE!!! THE NEW FTP SERVER IS OPEN!! (see information below)

Good news everyone, I got onto Fractux's FTP server and was able to retrieve his files. A listing of which is shown below.

proper fs2 registry keys
smarty_fs2_vp
sparky_fs2_vp
sparky_hi_fs2_vp
stu_fs2_vp
tango1_fs2_vp
tango2_fs2_vp
tango3_fs2_vp
warble_fs2_vp
root_fs2_vp
readme.txt

I will be providing these files on my own FTP server at
freespace.homeftp.net
User name: freespace
Password: 1234

1st off, this is the NEW FTP server. Problems may arise with connection, but I've tested it on my old dial-up account and it seems to work OK. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS!! (my ICQ number is 209-589-089, or post here about issues)

2nd, this is the welcome screen that will be shown b4 you being your FTP session. PLEASE, abide by these quite simple rules
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome to my little FreeSpace 2 FTP hosting site.

PLEASE be kind, I'm hosting these files for you guys
to help you play a very kick'n game.

Any hacks/nukes/disruptions of any kind will be
Result in this site being taken DOWN.
In other words, NO FREESPACE FOR YOU!

Your Ip address of $(CLIENTIP)
Has been logged
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy

PS I will also post any closures of the FTP site here as well. so if your having problems connecting, come here and find out why.

This is my very first FTP site, so please bear with me.

Offline Fractux

Thanks to Molish for setting this up.

Also, one individual with IP 129.*.*.* has been continually trying to connect to the server. When you try to connect in rapid succession, you get a temp ban. You are essentially continually banning yourself. So give it up.

Set your connection rate to higher intervals so this does not happen. try to connect every 30 seconds or so ok?

My log files are getting huge. So stop it.

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Molish

My pleasure Fractux.
You helped me, now I want to help everyone else out there.
Special thanks to karajorma for making is possible, he helped me configure the test the FTP server.

I figured this might help pull some of the stress off your FTP, and I get to help pass around one of the best flight sims to date. It's a win-win situation.

BTW, my FTP has 10 slots open (maybe will open more, depending on weather or not it's needed) with a bandwidth of 200K (hey, it's as fast of an upload as my poor little ADSL can handle). ONLY ONE CONNECTION PER IP ADDRESS PLEASE! (it's set up like that, but if I see you continually trying to connect 2 or more I'll kick your 1st connection and ban your IP for a week.)

Have fun, and thanks for YOUR help in letting me play a game I've been dieing to play for over 3 years!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Excellent. I'm glad to see this one working Molish. :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Molish

As am I. :)
After the hardships we had with my 1st attempt at an FTP site, then my ISP changing IP's on me every 5 minuets (which I wouldn't complain about normally, but I need a static for the FTP).
I'm making sure you get the reconigition you deserve for helping me man. ;)
Can you believe it, this guy has his own legimiate copy of FS2, and yet he still devotes his time to helping those of us less fourtounates. :)

I'd just like to give a huge vote of thanks to Molish and Fractux for hosting these files. You're both legends, guys.

Regards

Antarctic

Offline z80

TO: Holy Imperial Gloriano
1. How can it be warez when the source is released
2. the version offered by underdogs is/was a warez "rip" from 1999 for sure and if you doubt that i will do a byte count with the original rip i have.
3. The files offered on the FTP must have come off the original CD's :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 07:02:07 am by 2078 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by z80
2. the version offered by underdogs is/was a warez "rip" from 1999 for sure and if you doubt that i will do a byte count with the original rip i have.

RE: 1/ the source code was released - not the game content.

Offline Forinec

Question about the AVI movies: What codec do I need to watch them, or better yet,how can I convert them to their original format so they can be viewed in the game itself?

Offline nedski

They are in DivX I believe.  You can't convert them back, thay are available so that FS2_open can play them, so if you want to see them you have to install it - See karajorma's post for a FAQ link.

N.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 10:29:58 am by 1979 »

Offline Forinec

I just watched one with DivX. :eek2: Wow, what an intro! ;)

Offline Molish

For those reading the FTP status screens, my FTP isn't offline. She's been going strong for over 12 hours now.
I already PM'd Fractux about it, so don't badger him about it. :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by z80

As far as I'm concerned I don't see much of a difference between ISO's of Freespace and the FTP which is tolerated by the admins but the admins have to tread the fine line of not being seen to be allowing Warez to be pushed on their site.

The result is things like the FTP (which isn't a direct link) tends to get away with it while things like your post are complained at.

However considering that Interplay are in no position to complain we may see the admins being more lenient this time round.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Molish

Nevermind, still having issues.
will be fixed, I promise.
FTP IS STILL ONLINE! just keep trying.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2004, 08:48:36 pm by 2066 »

Offline r-karsk

First of all i want to say Hi to everybody here!

I own the Polish version of FS2, and its quite annoying to play since i don't understand what they are saying and what is written.

Just wondering if there is anything i can rip from my polish version?

Also a problem with my ftp:

I'm downloading from Molishes server and i'm downloading the voice files. You know how they are split into 4mb segments? Well sometimes my ftp program says that they are complete even though they finished at say 77%. Heres a screenshot:

As you see, out of 9 parts i only successfully downloaded 4 (the bottom one is still downloading). Can somebody tell me how to fix this?

I'm using 3DFTP v7.0

Avg speed of 12kb/s by the way.

Thanks everyone

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Hello and welcome to HLP

:welcome:
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Molish

Has that been happening everytime you try and download those same files, or is this your first try downloading them?
I had to cut connection one or twice today (no more then twice) so it may have just cut it off mid-download and said it was finished.

I had that problem a bunch of times last night. Files were stopping at 1.5mb for some reason O_o.