Author Topic: Freespace 2 FTP Server - HOTU 2 Full  (Read 175584 times)

Offline r-karsk

Yup problem seems to be fixed, last 10 segments have downloaded correctly

So now i just have one question left (as stated before) :

I own the Polish version of FS2, and its quite annoying to play since i don't understand what they are saying and what is written.

Just wondering if there is anything i can rip from my polish version?

Offline r-karsk

Ok new error!:

The requested connection has been refused by the remote host

-FIXED- Problem because of my PC. Sorry for double posting

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by r-karsk
So now i just have one question left (as stated before) :

I own the Polish version of FS2, and its quite annoying to play since i don't understand what they are saying and what is written.

Just wondering if there is anything i can rip from my polish version?

I'm not 100% certain of this since I've only ever used the english version but simply replacing the root_fs2.vp with this one should make all the text appear in English.

If the speech is also translated into Polish download stu_fs2.vp to get the english language files.

If neither of those work then the problem is a registry entry but I'm not certain which one. Downloading and applying the registy entries from the FTP should solve that as a side effect anyway if that's the case.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline r-karsk

I went ahead and transferred all the missing things except for voice and it works perfectly. The only thing that dissapoints me is that the movies are narrated in Polish. Thanks guys

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The movies are up on the FTP as english language avi files. They won't play with the standard version of FS2 but they will work with FS2_Open (and unless your computer is really old you SHOULD be using FS2_Open) :D

Offline Fractux

Juat a note for everyone, the FTP i have set up will be changing domains, so please begin to connect to the server at:

gaming.smoothkruger.ca

Cheers!
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Molish

Someone is slowing me down
Ok, he stopped doing it. Though the most people have been able to download off me is at a total of 25K a second. I've tried to squeeze you guys more bandwith, I'll be playing around with the settings for awhile, and some of it may require a reboot or 2. Remember, it's all for you. :)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 12:56:37 am by 2066 »

Offline Tasoth

Please help this poor FTP client noob.
So i've gotten into the ftp from molish, i try to download things
but it doesn't seem to work. And yes, it does say slot free.
I keep getting this message :
STATUS:>   Connecting to "freespace.homeftp.net" on port 21.
ERROR:>   Connection closed by the server.
ERROR:>   WSAECONNABORTED - Connection aborted (by software).
ERROR:>   Connection error.  If this connection is refused because you
ERROR:>   are already logged in or too many users are connected, enable
ERROR:>   "Connection Saver" for this site.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2004, 03:26:32 pm by 2098 »

Can I generate the FS Open avi files myself?
I have my very own copy of FS2.  It even more or less works, although cobbling disk 2 together was a right pain in the ass.  However, I would rather play FS2-open, what with all the cool bells and whistles,  and I'd like to do so with all the fancy shamancy media and movies.

As I understand it, one of my options is to download the media from the ftp server kindly provided, provided I intersect it at a time it is available.  This is likely to take forever, twice-- once in the waiting, and once in the downloading, and seems wastefull, as I have all the media files _right here_, where, if only I knew how, I could generate my own, thus saving bandwidth for others and time and frustration for mysel.  If I only knew how.

So how?  I tried something called mve2avi version 2.4 and got results that were entirely crapulent, at either frame rate (the playback stutters, and the speed is wrong, and the audio has all kinds of issues).  Is there another problem?  Or am I just doing it wrong, as every girl I've ever met feels compelled to point out?
"The case for my life, then, or for that of anyone else who has been amathematician in the same sense in which I have been one, is this: that I have added something to knowledge, and helped others to add more; and that these somethings have a value which differs in degree only, and not in
kind, from that of the creations of the great mathematicians, or of any other artists, great or small, who have left some kind of memorial behind them." G.H. Hardy, _A Mathematician's Apology_

Offline Fractux

Greets amitskaw.

I didn`t create the avi files hosted. Karajorma was kind enough to convert them all, so I couldn`t give you any pointers as to the conversion process.

Pose this question in these forums, and I`m sure someone will give you an answer.

Molish will be hosting the avi files on his ftp as well, so you should have a better chance at getting them now than you would have before.

Cheers!

Oh yes and

:welcome:
-What exactly gets separated in "mechanically separated chicken" ?

Offline Molish

Problem:
Molish decided it would be a good idea to get alittle drunk the night he was suppose to transfer the FTP to the laptop on his network (to free up system resources on his computer).
This did not work out well, and the laptop is a windows 2000 machine, so that complicated matters further.
there for, Molish's FTP server will be down for about a day untill I get sober and actually figure out the networking for windows NT (2000).

First things first, I need to sleep and eat some food (not in that particular order).

*I know I'll regret posting this in the morning. But atleast you know the truth. :) *

EDIT: Molish (though abit drunk and constantly speaking in 3rd person) has figured out a Fix for the FTP server. It is back up and running WITH the new movies.
Have fun all.  :D

PS The new FTP should be EXACTLY like Fractux's FTP server. Let me know if I'm missing anything. :D
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 01:55:01 am by 2066 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Re: Can I generate the FS Open avi files myself?
Originally posted by amitskaw
I have my very own copy of FS2.  It even more or less works, although cobbling disk 2 together was a right pain in the ass.  However, I would rather play FS2-open, what with all the cool bells and whistles,  and I'd like to do so with all the fancy shamancy media and movies.

As I understand it, one of my options is to download the media from the ftp server kindly provided, provided I intersect it at a time it is available.  This is likely to take forever, twice-- once in the waiting, and once in the downloading, and seems wastefull, as I have all the media files _right here_, where, if only I knew how, I could generate my own, thus saving bandwidth for others and time and frustration for mysel.  If I only knew how.

So how?  I tried something called mve2avi version 2.4 and got results that were entirely crapulent, at either frame rate (the playback stutters, and the speed is wrong, and the audio has all kinds of issues).  Is there another problem?  Or am I just doing it wrong, as every girl I've ever met feels compelled to point out?

This question has come up so often I'm getting bored of answering it. Therefore it will be added to the FAQ :D

I'll continue my surf around HLP and then I'll get to writing up a page for it in the FAQ. Give me an hour or so.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Hey, Molish. Welcome to HLP. :)

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Okay. I'm done for the time being.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/freespace/movies.html

BTW if anyone can reccomend some good settings for Virtual Dub I'll be more than happy to add them to the site. I tend to make movies more though trial and error than through any actual knowledge of what I'm doing in that program.

Originally posted by karajorma
Okay. I'm done for the time being.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/karajorma/freespace/movies.html

BTW if anyone can reccomend some good settings for Virtual Dub I'll be more than happy to add them to the site. I tend to make movies more though trial and error than through any actual knowledge of what I'm doing in that program.

Cool.  Okay, I'm going to take the next couple of days of my life, and try this during the periods my hand starts to hurt, and then I will report back.  If I get results I'm really pleased with (or, if I get a chance to see the existing results and decided that mine, while poor, are better, or if I just feel like it because I want to be able to take credit for a worthless contribution) I'll create a bit torrent file for them and try to distribute my results.

Incidently, a may work but kludgey as all hell work around:

When you should have gotten a new movie, switch the .exe to the original fs2 file, start it, watch in tech room, the quit and switch back.  FS2_open pilot files seem to crash the came at mission load, but not before.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2004, 01:11:51 pm by 2100 »
"The case for my life, then, or for that of anyone else who has been amathematician in the same sense in which I have been one, is this: that I have added something to knowledge, and helped others to add more; and that these somethings have a value which differs in degree only, and not in
kind, from that of the creations of the great mathematicians, or of any other artists, great or small, who have left some kind of memorial behind them." G.H. Hardy, _A Mathematician's Apology_

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
:welcome: amitskaw
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You know I've just realised that I forgot to mention that the movie code is infact broken on any build released after 3.6.

But they are supposedly working on a fix so it's still worth converting the scenes as I doubt it will take them long to get everything running again :)

I also forgot to mention that my Google search turned up a AVI2MVE program :D Now that we have FS2_Open we don't need it that much but I suppose there may be some people out there with HotU and a machine that doesn't like FS2_Open :)

Offline Molish

Fair warning, we got really bad storms sweeping through my area tonight and tomarrow. The FTP server might be down for alittle while. We have had the power flickering on and off all night long. Everything should be back to normal by thursday at the latest.

Offline Aspa

I'm not getting the directory listing on the main FTP.

I'm using Filezilla, I've turned on passive mode, multiple connections and compression is turned off. Password is 1234, port is 6969.

What I see in the console is (translated from norwegian):

Command:  TYPE A
Response:  200 Type set to A.
Command:  LIST
Error:  Transfer channel couldn't be opened. Reason:
Error:  Couldn't recieve directory listing.

I've tried ASCII, binary and automatic mode, all with the same result.

Molish's server is fine, but full at the moment.

Offline Forinec

Argh. My access to the server is being actively refused. :( I just tried to log in to it again and I got that error. :confused: