Author Topic: Post 3.6 Features  (Read 17861 times)

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
maybe give it a very low speed and make them moving to the nearest enemy within a targeting range, trying to get enough close to explode

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill

Offline Sticks

I can't think of any good way to do ejecting shells at all, aside from maybe hacking something ugly in that's not part of the engine really. The game just isn't built for it.

This falls under the geomod type request.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
Ejecting shells is essentially just a particle spew, Sticks. I think you'd have to have a place on a POF that is essentially a "shell_spew_origin".

Of course, personally, I think its a dumbass idea, and one hardly worth the effort to discuss, let alone implement. Get to work on more useful things, like a revamped POF setup that allows for proper animation channels, or a scripting layer. :D
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by Sticks

This would be quite a lot of work for something that already works fine once you get used to it.

Dang....ok.
How about the options to turn shinemaps off on certain ships? I mentioned this before, that shinemaps on certian ships like the Hecate or others just suck. I have no clue how to remove 'em from the directory, as i dont know which files to delete (not to mention they are in the .vp as well). Will there be a way to turn off shinemaps alltogether in the launcher, while leaving specular lighting on?
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Sticks

Ejecting shells is essentially just a particle spew, Sticks. I think you'd have to have a place on a POF that is essentially a "shell_spew_origin".

That would work. The only thing is that they'd be kinda cheezy. Particles only have one viewing angle, and they'd dissapear really quick. If I were to do it I'd want 3d shells myself.

How about the options to turn shinemaps off on certain ships?

Absolutely. Actually I think I could get this into 3.6, it's probably only a couple lines of code. A temporary workaround is to create a shinemap that is a 1x1 bitmap consisting of a single white pixel for the ships you don't want to have the other maps for.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!

That would work. The only thing is that they'd be kinda cheezy. Particles only have one viewing angle, and they'd dissapear really quick. If I were to do it I'd want 3d shells myself.

So code up an object spewer. Like I said though, its a useless addition that doesn't even add interesting eye-candy. Where are you going to see the shells? Ejecting from your ship? Only for a split second, because you should leave them behind. On a wingman or an enemy? Not likely, unless we're talking huge huge huge shells. From more than 5-10m away, they're invisible. What's the point?

Offline Sticks

This "object spewer" of which you speak is what I was saying is not feaseable, which brings us, I believe, full circle. No ejecting shells.

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
Why isn't it feasable? It sounds like a reimplementation of the missile launching code to me. If I were implementing it in Iwar2, that's exactly how I'd do it.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
About the light issues:

-Directional light from nearby planets/nebulas

IMHO the current star code could be used, maybe its just a FRED thing.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
If I was so inclined I could probly add in shell ejection easily, just add two data entries into the particle data type (orientation matrix and model number) if the particle has a valid model number (ie, it isn't -1) render the model.

that would be the quick way, slightly more effort would be seperateing the rendering steps for the model so that in loads the vertex buffer and texture, then calls to draw primitive and seting the world matrix to the position and orientation of the specifyed particle, further particles should be sorted by model number

that said I have no desire to do that
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by karajorma
As said elsewhere. I'd like to see 3.6 include the ability that Wing Commander had to allow you to restart any campaign from any mission you played previously (this would allow you to play a different branch of a campaign without having to go back and play the whole thing again).

I'm not sure how plausible this is with the current system. [/B]

I posted it cause Goober thought he could do it and wanted it as a reminder :) We'll see if he can later I guess :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.

Actually I think I could get this into 3.6, it's probably only a couple lines of code.  

Really? Could it be included in the next version? Please? Pretty please Mr. Ub3r SCP Coder-Admin-type-person :nod: ;) :)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Shinemapping is on by default, isn't it?  It should have a command-line option, just like the rest of the stuff.

Offline Sticks

Specular in general has a command line, I put in -nospec right after 3.5.5. Shinemapping does not, however.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
...theres a difference between shinemapping and specular highlights? (In the FS2 sense atleast?)
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Not that I know of.

It depends on the shine-map the ship uses - the ones GE did are pretty much specular highlighting 'cause they only allow little parts of a ship to shine - Lightspeed's map are generally more shiny.

Some FS1 ship can even go without shinemaps.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The brightness defines shine, the colour defines specular if I remember rightly?

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The color defines the color of reflected light from a pure white color source - so a red star will reflect as red from a shiny metalic surface.
The brigtness defines the intensity.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Got it :)

I've had one thought about those proximity activated mines I mentioned earlier (though I think an idea like this has been suggested before). I was wondering how easy/hard it would be to get the AI to use it? I'm thinking of assault ships carrying a small 'anti-interceptor' version (possibly even have a choice between them and countermeasures, though this might be a bad idea) It would make chasing bombers so much more fun ;)