Author Topic: Nukes?  (Read 12607 times)

IIRC When they were introduced in the storyline someone said something about the Harby being an orbital/installation attack weapon, not meant to be fired at things like Cruisers or Destroyers.

It really was a planet killer, this might have been a scaled down version.
FS2 weaponry is "supposed" ¬.¬ to be more powerful, but, meh, I never really saw a difference except for Furies/MX40(?)s vs Tempests/Rockeyes.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
One word... Tre...bu...chet... :shaking:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
At a sci-fi conference a few years ago there was a great panel done by a well accredited physicist from some fancy US university and he explained how nukes in space are much less powerful weapons than what you have on the ground.

Most of the damage done by nukes in atmosphere is related to the shock blast....the immense pressure change and the resulting blast sends quite a shockwave that destroys all sorts of things in its path.  The nuke was just a catalyst for that....then you have your radiation which again is deadly on earth.

In space...if you had a theoretical warship floating about firing nukes at each other just the mere fact that the ship is capable of sustained space travel suggests significant technology being able to screen out the already high levels of radiation in space.  So adding a little more local radiation apparently barely compairs to what is already there.

So nukes would really be a point explosion but the damage level in a radius would be smaller.  Thus its perfectly concievable that all of the weapons in FS are nuke based warheads (we know Tsunami/Cyclops and Helios/Harbinger are) without doing massive widespread damage each time they get fired.

Plus its just a game....the scale measuring system isn't really there :D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Originally posted by Ghostavo
One word... Tre...bu...chet... :shaking:

Is exactly the same as the Pheonix V, the table entry is exactly the same.  The difference is the guidance code in FS2 is TONS better than in FS1.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
wonder what would happen if you fired a harpoon in an atmosphere.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
you'd take out a small city

and i move to change DIO's title to "Holy Diver"
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Originally posted by Liberator

Is exactly the same as the Pheonix V, the table entry is exactly the same.  The difference is the guidance code in FS2 is TONS better than in FS1.

Doesn't the trebuchet have more range?  I thought it moved a bit quicker too.

Hmm, about the only thing that's the same is the warhead.  Even the aspect values are different.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 02:24:03 am by 998 »

i wonder how ground combat would be.......

the moment you learn to fly a persues or something in an atmosphere, you basicly own the local battleground...
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline kode

• The Swedish Chef
  • The Swede
    • http://theswe.de
didn't we discuss how the ships wouldn't be able to fly in atmosphere at some point?
Pray, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.
- Ambrose Bierce
<Redfang> You're almost like Stryke 9 or an0n
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored."
- Aldous Huxley
WAR IS PEACE
FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Unless they have antigrav tech or an aerodynamic design with wings, they'll just... fall 'n crash.
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Originally posted by Liberator

hehe - how i like such comments from people who obviously havent played Freespace.

Phoenix V - range of ~ 1500 metres
Trebuchet - range of ~ 5000 metres

Phoenix V - slooowww
Trebuchet - fairly fast once locked on

plus, the trebuchet is homing far more accurate.

PHOENIX V
Code: [Select]

$Velocity: 175.0
$Fire Wait: 5.0
$Damage: 350 ;; damage applied when within inner radius
$Blast Force: 200.0
$Inner Radius: 10.0 ;; radius at which damage is full (0 for impact only)
$Outer Radius: 30.0 ;; max radius for attenuated damage (0 for impact only)
$Shockwave Speed: 0 ;; velocity of shockwave.  0 for none.
$Armor Factor: 1.0
$Shield Factor: 0.5
$Subsystem Factor: 0.8
$Lifetime: 10.0

TREBUCHET
Code: [Select]
$Velocity: 280.0
$Fire Wait: 6.0
$Damage: 350 ;; damage applied when within inner radius
$Blast Force: 160.0
$Inner Radius: 20.0 ;; radius at which damage is full (0 for impact only)
$Outer Radius: 40.0 ;; max radius for attenuated damage (0 for impact only)
$Shockwave Speed: 0                                            ;; velocity of shockwave.  0 for none.
$Armor Factor: 0.9
$Shield Factor: 0.5
$Subsystem Factor: 2.4
$Lifetime: 18.0

does this look like exactly the same table values? :p
« Last Edit: April 24, 2004, 05:44:03 am by 1317 »
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

in FS1 those 1500 meters felt like a huge distance, btw.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Actually the Pheonix is a stronger anti-ship weapon by some minute scale (it has a higher armor factor) while the treb blows out subsystems better.  Ultimately the treb is a better weapon, but from a strict warhead comparison that needs to be pointed out.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Stronger anti-ship weapon by 35 hit points...thats not really much when you have more than double the subsystem damage potential and the fact that a bank of subachs can make up for that in a second :)

Trebuchet is far far far superor :)
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Like to see you hit me with either o_O

Treb is one of the most notable differences out of the missiles I didn't list, when I said differences between FS1 and FS2 missile wise.

Simply because;
Their damage is roughly the same.
Trebuche is somewhat tactically more viable than the PV, but, in all honesty Trebs/PVs are/were only ever good against;

A) AI.
B) People who can't fly for peanuts.
C) Cap Ships(Or disable/Disarming thereof).
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Originally posted by Tiara
Unless they have antigrav tech or an aerodynamic design with wings, they'll just... fall 'n crash.

This is not necessarily true. It is clear that:
1. Freespace ships have sufficient structural integrity that they probably could withstand atmospheric flight, at least to some extent
2. Freespace ships demonstrate the ability to either vector their thrust or use small maneuvering thrusters to accelerate in directions other than directly ahead.
Therefore, it seems possible that by directing 10 gees worth of thrust downwards at all times, FS fighters could fly in atmosphere, although probably not that well. It is not, however, necessarily true that any or all FS fighters are combat capable in atmosphere , because you'd need a flight computer programmed to handle it.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

@QuantumDelta

I'd like to see someone dodge a pair of trebuchets in an Ursa.  I'm pretty sure that it would be rare that a pilot would be able to muster up enough acceleration to avoid incoming with a heavy bomber =(

@Alan

Why 10Gs?  Are you playing to fly in Jupiter?

Originally posted by ChronoReverse
@QuantumDelta

I'd like to see someone dodge a pair of trebuchets in an Ursa.  I'm pretty sure that it would be rare that a pilot would be able to muster up enough acceleration to avoid incoming with a heavy bomber =(

Why would any good pilot ever consider flying a bomber?
I know some idiots on PXO who like the sekhmet, but even that is inferior.
If you absolutely HAVE TO BOMB in a mission, especially if you're going to be competing against other humans - Fly Myrm.

As for Dodging Trebs in an Ursa -
Depending on range, EASILY.
+300-500m would be prefered for that heap of cheg :P

No good pilots bomb.
Good pilots leave bad pilots/AI to bomb and keep complete fighter cover, hense why BlackDove and I were just about the only people to complete most of the harder ("newish") PXO Missions either on our own or in a team of two+AI on insane.

Sticking anyone who considers themselves to be able to fly properly, in a bomber, is a waste of resources in almost all situations.

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
Originally posted by QuantumDelta

B) People who can't fly for peanuts.

Somehow, that sentence disturbs me.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

@quantumdelta

Then your comment that trebuchets can't hit good pilots is pretty meaningless since it's an anti-bomber/subsystem weapon.