Author Topic: Interplay: The End Is Near?  (Read 15158 times)

Offline ViRGE

Interplay: The End Is Near?
6/2: Apologies for bumping an old thread, but better than starting a new one. After their past troubles, Interplay has reached the next stage in insolvency, with word coming out that their offices have been shutdown. This comes on the heals of their website shutdown about 2 weeks ago, and their continued inability to pay their employees, rent, taxes, or outstanding payments to other companies.

And on a related note, I managed to get some of Interplay's financial information, which shows a couple of interesting points. First and foremost, they need about 3mil to make payroll, and only had about half that as of last month; it also seems likely, in turn, that the FS2 re-release was part of a "get rich quick" scheme for Interplay to take advantage of the FS2 shortage, and generate some cash. This point is moot now, since you can't buy the re-release anymore(no more Interplay.com to buy it from), but I think it properly illustrates what Interplay's intentions were. Also, should Interplay fold, it seems likely Vivendi Universal would get the Freespace license, since Titus Interactive, Interplay's owner, is also about to go under, putting Vivendi at the top of the chain.

The end is near, folks.

4/21: From the Gone Gold forums:
Originally posted by Rob_Merritt:
I think the watch is over. I saw via Quarter to three that nma-fallout had a rumor that they told everyone to go home and they were filing for bankrupcy. I sent an email to someone a knew that worked there (which was a surprise because up to last week I had assume no one I knew worked there still) The message came right back because they were in fact home. He confirmed they were sent home. He didn't get any real info. No one did. They don't know if it was a temporary work stopage in order to move or a permanet layoff.

/edit:
I'm getting a connect refused to interplay forums.
So I went to the redbull investment board and saw this:

I spoke with Luke Haase today, and he said that Vivendi and Avalon both owe Interplay money and that they are expecting payment from them sometime this week. Vivendi is currently going through a big transition in their management, and they are just now trying to catch up on things. Once Interplay receives the payments that are due to them, then they will make a formal announcement and immediately file with the SEC that they are now able to pay their rent, taxes, and payroll. They are expecting a payment in the range of 3 million dollars. Interplay is also right now in negotiations to sell an intellectual property to raise additional capital and has begun preliminary talks with several banks in order to raise money to fund all of their current and pending games.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 11:04:55 am by 1239 »

Offline redmenace

Interplay Employees sent home?
*praying they are selling the Freespace franchise*
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Oh god let them sell the FS License...

Get in touch with that guy and make them ask Interplay about it... :devil:

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
The question is........
If at all they were selling it......Who would they sell it to? O_o

I sure as hell hope that if they sell it, they sell it to someone with a bit of sense to develop it properly....

If only Volition were seeing this.....
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
Everybody keeps forgetting that almost everyone that worked at Volition when they made FS2 is now somewhere else and that :V: is a console exclusive.

BTW, when are we going to get the :V: smiley back?
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Isn't Vivendi the french company that owns blizzard entertainment?

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Vivendi owns a lot of company's, it has one of the largest (the largest?) group of gaming designers/publishers in the world. Hell, they own Sierra, Blizzard, etc...
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline redmenace

THQ could buy the rights and have one of its subsiduaries do it.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline redmenace

I am expecting them to close up shop soon anyway. start selling those special fs2 copies for 30 bucks or something like that.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I hope FS3 will never be made. I couldnt stand seeing Freespace formed into a ****ty cheap-made console game :(

The rights to FS would have to be given to someone who cares for the game and not just for money. Which does NOT apply to any of today's game companies, so I really really hope the rights will never be given out. Unless, they're given to us, or it is made freeware. :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I agree with you LS, I don't want to see FS3 made, not simply because it would probs be written for console first and PC second, but because I much prefer the ideas I've seen on here for what happens next, anything that a games company comes up with is just not going to cut it :)

but, if some, erm, auctioneer after bankrupcy, is stuck with the rights, i'd be willing to pitch in $50 or something to get it public domain.....
:doubt:

but, we've been dreaming about :I: dieng and us buying for years, no reason to stop now......
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline T-Man

• I came... I saw... I had a cuppa!
Hey, if HLP members collect enough cash, we could buy the rights to FS. I know its a stupid idea, but it just might me dumb enough to actually work.

Failing that, I'm sure THQ or Relic could take the reigns, or maybe activision.
Also goes by 'Murasaki-Tatsu' outside of Hard-Light

UEF fanboy. Rabid Imagination.

Offline diamondgeezer

I wouldn't get your hopes up, T. This gets suggested every few months. Nothing's happened so far...

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Of course, if you really think about it, this is a sad thing, because a bunch of people are going home without jobs.
Just something to remember.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
I wouldn't get your hopes up, T. This gets suggested every few months. Nothing's happened so far...

I wouldn't either but this is the closest Interplay have been to going bankrupt that we've seen so far.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cabbie

Sad to hear a lot of people losing their jobs. That just sucks.

Though I hope it's bussiness as usual in the Interplay store, for all time sake, I want a copy of the 20th edition of FS2 as a collectors copy before they go down :(

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
The only reason I would want us to get the licence is so we can keep working on the SCP and put out full version downloads and jazz legally. That would be cool. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Or release the big mods as full games :D:drevil:

EDIT: Not to canonize them, of course, but to provide a "possible future" hehe :D

Offline ViRGE

Originally posted by redmenace
I am expecting them to close up shop soon anyway. start selling those special fs2 copies for 30 bucks or something like that.
Won't happen; boxed copies of games are tangible assets, and will be one of the things the bankruptcy holds on to for the aunction block.

As for the rest of you, read No Mutants Allowed; they have a lot of information(new and old) about what's going on at Interplay.