Author Topic: Interplay: The End Is Near?  (Read 15149 times)

Interplay Employees sent home?
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,24043.msg481804.html#msg481804
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/04/news_6100019.html

Also,

$079,000
$179,000
$432,000
$156,000
________
$846,000

If they got 1,2 million, why don't they pay up, and spent the last four hundred grand on golden handshakes and drinks for everyone?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

If you buy FS2 from this merchant he will order more disks like when we burned them in November!!! We made about 300 copies of all 3 disks.

Plus this guy is selling for $15.00 a pop plus shipping ect.. but only for US residents (upper 48 states) and you have to fillout the junk for the website..

here's the link I JUST tried it out still valid...

http://www.schoolpop.com/cgi/product_search.cgi?prodcat=0&search_terms=Freespace%202
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

Offline ViRGE

Originally posted by kasperl
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,24043.msg481804.html#msg481804
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/06/04/news_6100019.html

Also,

$079,000
$179,000
$432,000
$156,000
________
$846,000

If they got 1,2 million, why don't they pay up, and spent the last four hundred grand on golden handshakes and drinks for everyone?
The 1.2 million figure is nearly 2 months old, it's highly likely they don't even have that now, after paying what little payroll they could.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Could a new rights owner shut down the FSSCP if they wanted to? (ie how much of the source and media would they legally control?)
-C

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Could a new rights owner shut down the FSSCP if they wanted to? (ie how much of the source and media would they legally control?)

technically, i don't think so, 'cause Volition released the source code, not interplay..

i got fifty cents, who wants to buy interplay?;)
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline WMCoolmon

tehe.

I'll donate the box. :D

-C

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
hmmm........
lol......just tempts me to go and ask them "May we have the rights for Freespace before they fall into the hands of someone who may just screw it up too much please? If you do so I'll stop buggin ya!"

Who knows? maybe they'll just throw it at us :P
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Originally posted by WMCoolmon

The source code is free, as long as :V: wants, anyway. The media is all Interplay, meaning that they could shut Lightspeed and co. down, and the high poly models might have to go as well.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
gwalalala.
Don't care, there's much more interesting franchises that the Freespace one.
I think that interplay closing sucks. Any company that closes is a bad thing. To all the people who rejoice over that, I'm praying to that god of yours that you'll go throught the same thing, your company going down, getting unemplyed, and having through the hell of finding a nex job in todays sucky economy.
Tards.
SCREW CANON!

For the record, I never said this was a good thing. I do consider the employees, and I do find this a rather ****ty way to get a chance at the rights. However, I am interested in what happens to the rights of the franchise, and I do speculate about that.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Originally posted by Nico
gwalalala.
I think that interplay closing sucks. Any company that closes is a bad thing. To all the people who rejoice over that, I'm praying to that god of yours that you'll go throught the same thing, your company going down, getting unemplyed, and having through the hell of finding a nex job in todays sucky economy.
Tards.

True:nod:
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
gwalalala.
Tards.

quite true indeed......but unfortunately, it doesnt look like it can be avoided anymore. The truth is plain simple; Interplay is falling, nothing can stop it now.......nothing.

Well......maybe not nothing
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

I feel sorry for the employees who work for Interplay but any fool can see that they company has been eating their seed corn for years now.

So I feel sorry for anyone who tried to get another job before they went down but couldn't find one. Anyone who hasn't been looking for a job elsewhere though is a fool. We all knew Interplay was doomed more than a year ago.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by kasperl
For the record, I never said this was a good thing. I do consider the employees, and I do find this a rather ****ty way to get a chance at the rights. However, I am interested in what happens to the rights of the franchise, and I do speculate about that.

ditto. i was just being cynical on how other companies would go on about it..
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
*sighs and remains silent*
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
...and that means?
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
nothing :D :P

Offline AlphaOne

• !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I dont think Interplay is going to lie down and die just like that...here is what I found..:
State regulators shut down Interplay

By TAMARA CHUANG
The Orange County Register

The state labor department shut down Interplay Entertainment Corp. today after discovering the computer game developer had no workers’ compensation insurance and failed to pay employees on time.

Five employees filed complaints this week with the state’s Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement claiming Interplay hasn’t paid them several thousand dollars in wages in the past month. Interplay resolved two employee complaints over bounced paychecks in April.

"We’ve got seven claims in, which is enough for us to believe that the problem goes beyond these seven employees," said Dean Fryer, spokesman for the California Labor Commissioner, adding that 14 employees were at the Irvine office on Friday.

The labor agency also fined Interplay $79,000 - $1,000 for every employee found on the payroll.

"An employer has responsibilities when they open a business. The responsibilities include proper and timely payment of wages. It includes providing workers compensation coverage in case there are injuries. If the employer cannot accommodate those basic issues of doing business, we cannot allow employees to work," Fryer said.

Interplay is facing eviction from its landlord, Arden Realty, which hasn’t received a rent payment on the 81,000-square-foot space since January. Interplay, which has said it will run out of money by July, also owes $179,000 in payroll taxes and penalties, according to regulatory filings.

Herve Caen, Interplay’s CEO, said the company plans to reinstate its workers comp as soon as possible.

"The company has not shut down. (The state) can’t do that. It can only let me not let employees work," said Caen, adding that Interplay will move to a smaller office in mid-June. "I hope to have that (insurance) back by Monday or Tuesday."

Interplay, one of the hottest game companies in the 1990s with "Baldur’s Gate" and "Fallout," dwindled to 79 employees from 500 in its heyday. Nasdaq delisted its stock in 2002 because the price fell below $1. Interplay’s shares, which trade over the counter, closed Friday at 5 cents.

The company ended 2003 with net income of $3.3 million on revenue of $11.5 million in the fourth quarter. A year earlier, it had a loss of $5.4 million on $7.1 million in revenue. With only $1.2 million in cash in December, the company said it might run out of money before July.

Caen cut costs and sold off assets, including its right to develop popular games. But even as Interplay reported a profit in December, the company unexpectedly lost a $3 million cash payment from its distributor earlier this year, Caen said. That resulted in the lack of money to pay the rent and employees.

"They didn’t warn us when we had cash in the bank," Caen said. "It’s not going to kill us but it created a lot of consequences going forward."

On April 9, Arden Realty gave Interplay three days to pay its rent or surrender possession. A week later, Arden sued for $431,823 in back rent.

On Thursday, a state judge ruled in Arden’s favor, said its attorney. Interplay’s lawyer, Christopher J. Nelson, could not be reached.

The company’s front doors have been locked all week, while the interior lobby appeared desolate to anyone peering through the glass doors. Only a handful of cars were parked behind Interplay Entertainment’s headquarters on Von Karman Avenue.

Loyal employees continued to show up for work this week, although they said they haven’t been paid for a month.

"The reason I stick around is that I’m a diehard loyalist and I love the people I work with. If there is any sliver of hope that Interplay may someday turn around I want to be there to see it," said Steve Jobes, Interplay’s Internet Systems manager, who was at work today.

"The people I work with in my department are basically family to me and it’s very hard to let go. While I may be holding onto a fool’s hope at this point, I’d like to give Interplay every last chance I can to turn things around before I jump ship.

Phearuth Tuy, a 3D animator who started at Interplay in December, worries about finding a new job. He left Utah for his current position. He’s also bound to a contract, which says he must pay back a $2,000 signing bonus if he leaves before 18 months.

"I want to finish the game I’m working on and I like how it’s been going on (at Interplay) so far," said Tuy, who also was at work Friday. "But it’s unfortunate that (the lack of paychecks) has gone on for this long."

Not paying employees is a violation of the state labor code, said Fryer, with the state Labor Department. Employees have also said they aren’t getting health benefits. The only remedy, he said, would be for Interplay to get workers’ comp insurance and start paying its employees.

Matthew Sarinas, a quality assurance tester at the company, filed a complaint with the state agency June 2. He wrote: "Paychecks have been habitually late or skipped and we where [sic] asked not to show up for work for two weeks. When we were asked to return, we were given a 100% guarantee that all back pay would be caught up, it is now a month later and as of right now two paychecks are outstanding and a third is due in the middle of June."

Sarinas, along with other employees who contacted the Register, said they were told to take their belongings home in case the building was locked today by the landlord.

Luke Haase, Interplay’s spokesman, confirmed that Interplay is behind on paying some employees. "Some payments have been missed. Some back payments have been made," Haase said. "The company is still behind. A majority of employees are still coming in to work. It’s their choice." Haase has high hopes. Interplay hired SG Capital in April to raise money or sell the company. "From what I’ve seen, there are a number of options the company is working on," Haase said. "Fortunately or not, it’s a domino effect. Once one piece is in place, the others will fall into place. ... Bankruptcy is not in the top five options." Employees with salary or benefit concerns can download a complaint form at www.dir.ca.gov/dlse or get one in person at the division’s local office, Room 625 at 28 Civic Center Plaza, Santa Ana. Employees can also call the U.S. Labor Department at (866) 4US-WAGE (for wages) or (866) 444-3272 (for benefits).
Die shivan die!!
Then jumps into his apple stealth pie and goes of to war.What a brave lad....what a brave lad say the ladies in red.

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> < ) 

This is Bunny . Copy  Bunny  into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Whether they want to admit it or not, interplay is dead

5 cents a share eh? hmm.... how many shares do we need to have 51% share

If we as a community gobbled up 51% of Interplay's I think we could force the board to reassign the rights to FreeSpace to anyone or any entity we want

[edit]

Crap, Titus controls 73% of Interplay's stock

http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=IPLYE.OB&t=1d&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

maybe we can get them to sell though
« Last Edit: June 07, 2004, 09:00:13 am by 30 »

Offline WMCoolmon

I've got a $20 bill, maybe we should just buy Interplay. :p
-C