Author Topic: Would anyony like this?  (Read 15300 times)

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Use these maps for reference: clicky
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline F1gm3nt

;) Just went by that thread and started the download, nice glows on it btw.
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-- Konrad Adenauer

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.  --Robin Williams

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. --Alber Einstein

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
F1gm3nt, do you think you could to the Serapis next? I think that ship'd really benefit from having the plating bumped out on the ridges. :nod:
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
Once again, Raa is right.

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I Want my Myrmidon model!!
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Good luck doing the next ships. :yes:
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline F1gm3nt

Eh....Had the inlaws here all last week so not much got done. But I whipped through some stuff this weekend.

1) top & bottom armor plates & tail all beveled and smoothed

2) Maybe New gunpod

3) Overallshot

Lookin boss with the new tex maps from DaBrain & LS

Before anyone screams anything about LOD's ane env/shine maps the gun pods are UV'd to correct parts of the existing texture -and- I would have to do a new LOD for the next one down. But the gun pods are what I saw a few requests for and also what I wanted to get done first.

Now the question is, this thing is ~ 2050 polys right now and I haven't even smoothed out the cockpit yet, I -think- that'll only be about twenty-thirty more polys :yes: . So looking at the overall shot I'm not sure that I'm gonna need to do all the other missle/gunholes. Then again, the new gun pod is -very- noticable and really draws attention to the lack of depth on all the other munition holes. Opinions? Suggestions?
In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity.
-- Konrad Adenauer

See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to run one at a time.  --Robin Williams

Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value. --Alber Einstein

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
What are the sizes of its textures?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline F1gm3nt

I beleive that they are 1024^2.

Heres some pics of the lowres textures to compare:

*Note I was messing around with the bump maps last night and forgot to turn em off for these screenies and as Maya takes ages to load I don't really wanna go back and redo them. Hence the artifacts on the around the munition holes :nervous:
« Last Edit: May 25, 2004, 10:18:56 am by 1854 »
-- Konrad Adenauer

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
You = r0x0r.

Now, make four LODs of it, each using the SAME UV MAPPING - LOD 3 would be like retail, then.

Offline Gank

armour plates are unnoticable, waste of polys which would be better spent rounding off parts of the model. Rebuild the model instead of just adding detail.

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
The gunpods, and the 'wings' are fantastic, though :D

Offline F1gm3nt

armour plates are unnoticable, waste of polys which would be better spent rounding off parts of the model. Rebuild the model instead of just adding detail.

Mayhaps you're right and maybe I'll get rid of them, but as for rebuilding the whole model, I probably won't do that with the fighters, for two reasons.

1) The [V] models are perfectly fine, they just need to be spruced up which actually takes less time the rebuilding the whole model.

2) I don't think it's worth rebuilding -all- the fighters, capital ships, yes, it's worth rebuilding them because most of them are big blocky rectangular ships, which is altogether different from most of the fighter ships.

I'll think on the plates though.
-- Konrad Adenauer

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
you need the major layered ones, its just those little detail ones that don't need any polys.  We can do those with good shinemaps and maybe bump-mapping (someday)
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by Gank

I agree with the plates, but redoing the model is, in most cases, useless, at least when you know how to upgrade the details w/o screwing up the VV mappings and stuff.
SCREW CANON!

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
it surely change the question if you can save the uvmaps (I usually can't for example, for many reasons), elseway I still prefer to rebuild all the mesh, expecially if I want to smooth bits

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by KARMA
it surely change the question if you can save the uvmaps  

Well I can, but then again, I'm l33t :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sheepy

• Raises Hell
  • Mac User
yes, yes you are
Kiss my Fluffy White Ass!

Offline F1gm3nt

If I want to smooth a part of the model or even rebuild a part of the model I'll just seperate that part from the mesh and work on it individually then put it back on the mesh and weld the vertices when I'm done. Thats what I did with the gunpods. I used Lithunwrap to get the normals right for the gun tubes.
-- Konrad Adenauer

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
I want that model :D:yes:
Oh, and F1gm3nt if you were working on that thing I ask you to do, then nevermind it didn't work out
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years