Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211186 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by Black Wolf

Correction - we, the fans of Freespace, the people who will buy your game are the last adversary you want to make. Do you seriously think that this hasn't been noticed? Do you think that even if you make FS3, no doubt from your standard, bug filled and unplayable mould, people will buy it? Have you read the thread you linked to? It's an example of many that are all full of people expressing the exact same sentiments "I will never buy a Freespace 3 by Derek Smart". You've isolated your potential fanbase, and we're isolating you from the wider gaming community.

Let's bet that 90% of those who said that wouldn't buy FS3 would have a second thought if it receives high marks and convincing reviews. . .
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Inquisitor

Passion is a funny thing.
No signature.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Indeed.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Hilarious even.

Er

Maybe not

:nervous:

Let's just wait and see what he has to say...shall we?

*waits patiently for Derek Smart to post again*

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Corhellion
Let's just wait and see what he has to say...shall we?

*waits patiently for Derek Smart to post again*

Setekh's opened a new thread for this discussion to take place in a moderated environment.

EDIT; actually, that sounded a bit 1984-ish.  Moderated is better.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Unknown Target [3000AD]
BW, I'm trying to calm down and tolerate him, could you please do the same?
[/b]

I'm sorry, but no. Comments like his irritate me. Threats irritate me.

Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]

For me, I've been doing for a VERY long time and I have already separated the HLP wheat from the chaff. The chaff had better start praying that I don't get this license.

And people who would rather coddle up to people like this that stand on their own and make their feelings heard also irritate me. It's obvious he's made up his mind about HLP - no matter how nice we are now, it's not going to change how he see's us. So I'm sticking with what we all should be aiming at - honesty. Besides - I'm being very refrained - I didn;t touch this:

Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]

Exactly. See how easy that was? And it didn't take a Ph.D. to figure out out either.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I am going to temporarily lock this thread. Civil correspondence is to be directed to this thread:

A Dialogue On FreeSpace 3: Derek Smart & HLP
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
I would like to re-iterate the fact that the views on this thread are leading us through a one-way door; once we pass through, there is no return. Perhaps we have passed that point already. However, we must give the fragile possibility of fruitful discussion and relationship between our two parties a chance. This thread will be re-opened when our other options have been exhausted.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
On that note, and in light of Derek's decision to leave a response on the nominated thread till later, I'm reopening this thread. Now that you've all poked your heads outside of this one thread and are aware of the existence of the others - and their proper purposes - discussion here may now continue.

I still say leave him to get on with whatever he wants to do with the license. It makes no difference to me if he produces something that defiles all FS stands for which gets a scathing review, a day or two as a torrent on SuprNova and is then swept under the carpet of memory. (And I don't apologise for having that view; based on the past experiences of his other games it's by far the most probable outcome)

Those that aren't interested in his 'vision' for FS3 should just leave the issue be and hope that the license goes to a software house that would be more suited to it. I don't condone this 'cuddling up to him' either but let that be an issue of personal pride rather than trying to present a united front. And a lot of people in this thread have taken it way too seriously - beyond passion - this is a game we're talking about FFS, not something that's going to severely alter your lifestyle if all this talk of legal action, whether it's meaningful or just a hollow threat, takes place. Put it all into context and decide whether you want to partake in this silly 'grand fight' some people seem to fantasise about.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Guys you should read Remoras post there
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by SadisticSid
I still say leave him to get on with whatever he wants to do with the license. It makes no difference to me if he produces something that defiles all FS stands for which gets a scathing review, a day or two as a torrent on SuprNova and is then swept under the carpet of memory. (And I don't apologise for having that view; based on the past experiences of his other games it's by far the most probable outcome)

The question, though, might not be whether we care about his FS3, but whether this is the man that we, the community, want as the puclic face of the Freespace saga.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Are we really all that there is to the FS community?  Is there no one left?  Are we able to claim to be the last true followers of FS?

If not, I wonder what the other FS people are thinking...
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
There're a few foreign language communities, but I think the views of the rest of the FSers have been shown on places like bluesnews and /. and the like.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline 01010

Originally posted by Black Wolf

The question, though, might not be whether we care about his FS3, but whether this is the man that we, the community, want as the puclic face of the Freespace saga.

I'm with you on this one.

Also, the Ph.D remark was amusing, seeing as it was proven that Mr Smart doesn't seem to have one himself.
What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet sweet music? - Refused - Liberation Frequency.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Meh, I've seen enough of Mr Smarts' 'wit' to ignore his trolling now.

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
Im going to start emailing all the game reviewers and magazine writers, and publishers about this. Im going to send all the links i found regarding this and send it all to them.

Im going to send them all the news bits posted on the various URL's and im going to set it up to market the Freespace name, and show the Publishers and any interested that FS2 has some steam behind it and now is the time to pick up this cheap franchise and build upon it.

Least i can do for Freespace 2

Offline Cyker

I've decided this: I don't really care about the Freespace name, but what it currently represents.

Freespace, to me, is the spiritual successor to the X-Wing series which died such a horrible death at the hands of LEC (XWA - The story line and voice acting was quite possibly the best ever made, but the engine, interface and everything else sucked big time - For me XvT was the last...)

In this light, I'd get any space-shooter that had XW's, and now FS', spirit.

If 3000AD made and released FS3, and it rocked, I'd buy it. If it sucks, I won't - It's as simple as that.
But then if 3000AD made a space shooter of their own IP and it rocked, I'd probably buy that too.

The fact is no one has made a decent space-shooter in ages. Freelancer had potential, but it was neither Elite-y or X-Wingy, and I personally thought it could have done better. It was good, but not worth buying.
X^2 I hated viciously - The control system was horrible and it was horrendously buggy, but again it had a lot of potential.
In fact, the best space-shooter that has been released 'recently' (ish) is I've Found Her, the Babylon 5-based sim. The newtonian takes a LOT of getting used to (Actually I hate it - WW2-style physics works much better for space-combat sims!), but the game itself was great - The fact that it is not-for-profit puts many for-profit games to shame!

(I'm secretly hoping FE2 can recreate this success in the future :D)

I don't envy 3000AD's task if they do choose to do this 'tho - They have a *LOT* to live up to - When things with the quality of IFH are being made for free, and heck BWO and the FS2:B5 mod for that matter, that really raises the bar.
It will neither be easy nor quick, but they could pull it off...

As the late, great Roy Castle would say, "Dedication's what you need."

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Alright, I've been trying to hold back my opinions as much as I could away from the forums, but I feel as if I need to say something now. (Sorry at the administrators if I go overboard, but it needs to be said...)

Derek Smart, you are truely a unique individual, I have never met a game developer with the maturity and attitude of a 12 year old, who gets a temper EVERY TIME someone criticizes you, no matter what it is about.

It is this that has probably helped led to your repeated game failures in the past years, you refuse to listen to anyone with helpful advice, the people who dont like the game and think it could be improved, you goto your fanboy suckups, the one's who say "OMG I LOVE YOUR GAMES DO WHATEVER YOU WANT WITH THEM!" they seem so helplessly addicted to you that you can make them go across the internet and act as your little puppy guarddogs.

You have gone out of your way to come to serveral gaming forums (including this one) to repeatedly post over and over again in a fashion of a troll, NEVER have I met a game developer who acted like a troll. You sir, have some growing up todo. And you do realize, with every post you post in your lovely trolling/flaming fashion, more people learn about you and go "Who the hell would buy this guy's games?", you've pretty much been hurting yourself, your image for a long time now, and what you're going to wind up doing should by some chance in hell that you do get this license is most likely ruin a Freespace 3, because you do not care what our input on what we say about your game because we have opinions, some that are bad, and you only listen to your 3000AD 'suckups' and since they say yes to anything...

And Derek? What happened to the "I'm never going to post here again"?

Oh, and please, everyone knows that your PhD is fake.

And in closing, Derek, with your maturity and attitude to others, you are a public relations blackhole, a plague to any game you get your hands on from my point of view. You have the touch of death to game development just because of your attitude and maturity.

My thoughts and opinions may not be the thoughts and opinions of HLP
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]