Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 210486 times)

Offline Zarathud

• Dinosaur
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
Originally posted by Derek Smart at AVAULT:

In fact, the first thing I'm going to do is remove the beam weapons from the game, as I find that they have NO place in the next Freespace game.

Why?  The FreeSpace 2 unique "feature" was beam weapons and nebulas.  Sure, FreeSpace 3 should have some other angles or features which set it apart.  But why abandon the original innovations which made FreeSpace 2 so cool in the first place?  It makes no sense, and confirms to me that Derek Smart is the wrong person to have the FreeSpace license.  It sounds like Derek Smart has the technology, liked FreeSpace 2, and has the free time to make a quick project that would cash in on FreeSpace's name recognition.  

FreeSpace deserves better than it will get at the hands of Derek Smart.
Zarathud, retired FreeSpace coordinator of the Descent Chronicles/VolitionWatch

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
He already noted he was posting that strictly to get you to fly into a hissy fit.

Which, y'know, is exactly the sort of response I anticipated from him, and warned you about.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Originally posted by Zarathud
Originally posted by Derek Smart at AVAULT:

Why?  The FreeSpace 2 unique "feature" was beam weapons and nebulas.  Sure, FreeSpace 3 should have some other angles or features which set it apart.  But why abandon the original innovations which made FreeSpace 2 so cool in the first place?  It makes no sense, and confirms to me that Derek Smart is the wrong person to have the FreeSpace license.  It sounds like Derek Smart has the technology, liked FreeSpace 2, and has the free time to make a quick project that would cash in on FreeSpace's name recognition.  

FreeSpace deserves better than it will get at the hands of Derek Smart.

I get the impression that he's getting more reactions out of anyone than actually planning to do anything one way or another.  Best to let it be still for now.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
AAA beams should be removed only. Anti-capship beams should stay.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Zarax

Why?
They are one of the best things in the game...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Zarax
Why?
They are one of the best things in the game...

I detest them.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Zarax

I don't share your point of view, but let's drop this, as we are way off topic here.
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline JR2000Z

Originally posted by TopAce

I detest them.

Turn down the difficulty level then.
I finally destoryed the Shivan armada and all I got was this lousy T shirt.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Zarax
I don't share your point of view, but let's drop this, as we are way off topic here.

Not you are the only one. :D

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Cuz you get killed by them? that's the whole point :doubt:

Anywayz, way off-topic here :D
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

Offline Cyker

Make sure that YOUR side is the one firing them. You'll love 'em then >:)

As for topic... I think at this point the topic is long lost in that nebula we passed a few parsecs back :)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Wow, even in all this hubbub, HLP still acts "normal" :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
AAA beams should be removed only. Anti-capship beams should stay.

I detest them.

See TopAce. You're getting abuse has nothing to do with poor English skills.

If you don't like them edit the tables. I know you know how.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nothing should be removed from the game. Beam weapons are great. The only thing I would like is that normal weapons (like Terran Huge Turret & stuff) actually become usefull, practicly on-pair with beams.

then you could really have diverity.

For instance, Terrans would concetrate mostly on warships with big plasma turrets (think WW2 battleship).

Vasudans would favour beams as main weaponry.

Nedless to say, they would both have both guns & beams, only to a different extent.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by TrashMan
Nothing should be removed from the game. Beam weapons are great. The only thing I would like is that normal weapons (like Terran Huge Turret & stuff) actually become usefull, practicly on-pair with beams.

For instance, Terrans would concetrate mostly on warships with big plasma turrets (think WW2 battleship).

Nedless to say, they would both have both guns & beams, only to a different extent.

The point of powerful turrets(not beams now) is not so practical for the designers, because two capital ships demoralize each other too quickly. I tried increasing the power of the turrets and two Hatshepsuts finished with each other in 2 minutes.

Originally posted by karajorma

See TopAce. You're getting abuse has nothing to do with poor English skills.

If you don't like them edit the tables. I know you know how.

What's wrong with me again? I told my opinion about the AAA turrets. I do know how to change on it and I would change on it, but the campaign(s) I am about to release in the future SHOULD have the 'AAA whacking'(or whatever you call it) on, because you all like it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2004, 04:30:11 pm by 1079 »

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
That's why you give them more armor than a crippled old lady living in a shopping cart. Most of the capship weapon/armor values remained proportional to FS1's. The fighter weapons didn't.

Originally posted by TrashMan

Please...just...just no. The Turrets are really only supportive anti cap weapons, Beams are meant to be the heavy hitters.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

I detest them.

That's the point.  The introduction of shields made laser turrets ineffective in FS1 - that's partly why AAA was needed.  It also allowed for an added tactical dimension, i.e. luring enemy fighters into AAA beams.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Indeed, and that was balanced by the flak that had no aim - it effected everything.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

All right, Derek Smart. First of all, let me just say this is some constructive criticism (sp?). First of all, insulting us is only going to make us madder. You are not going to get anywhere by insulting us back. Second, you cannot remove the beam cannons from FS3, if you make it. They play a big role in the FS2 game. How do you expect capital ships to die? Continuous bombardment for five hours by laser turrets? No, I don't think so. Third, what's the point of designing ships from the inside and out? Will there be a mission where you must locate the fighterbay (sarcastic remark)? Next, is that I'm on a two way street with FS3. If you're gonna do a good job, then do it. But if you can't, or you're gonna remove important factors such as beam cannons, then don't. Listen to what the gamers have to say. Remember this quote: By Gamers, For Gamers. We don't want By Derek Smart, For Gamers. We want a true blue sequal. So I suggest you shut up with your insults, and you listen to us for once. It is not your universe. You may have the liscence, but you can't beat the hard work that has been done here. You cannot remove awesome ships like the Gargant or the Archangel. You can't just trash awesome campaigns such as Inferno, Into the Depths of Hell, etc... And if you're so smart, then I suggest you start taking down ideas from here, or it isn't going to be pretty. That's all I have to say.