Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211257 times)

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
General Public Licence. OK.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Originally posted by NeoHunter

Stop that!

Stop what?! :blah:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Why didn't you point out your problem?

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

I'd be willing to contribute my 50 bucks, if that would even increase the income marginaly.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
[q]Why didn't you point out your problem?[/q]

My problem was he asked a very strange question about Smart buying the SCP code which is impossible.
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Originally posted by TopAce

That's a good point, but who told he would want to use any of our models/textures/missions?

I'm not saying he does, I'm just saying that if he wanted to use them he would contact the creator and ask permission.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Flipside

I'm not saying he does, I'm just saying that if he wanted to use them he would contact the creator and ask permission.

Yes, it's obvious and I am pretty sure he knows it.

@vyper: Since he is not interested in it, yes, it is strange.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
This is the license under which Volition released the SCP to us:
Code: [Select]
/*
 * Copyright (C) Volition, Inc. 1999.  All rights reserved.
 * All source code herein is the property of Volition, Inc. You may not sell
 * or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the
 * source.
 */
So the only way he could "use and derive from the SCP" is if he released his game for free.

Offline rybiz

:no:  This post is directed at Derek Smart

I cannot believe the way in which have handled your responses to this community's concern of you attaining the rights to and developing the Freespace licence, particularly those in the adreniline vaults forums.

I have played some of your games that you say "surpass what this community is doing by a galaxy" ( forgive me if I paraphrase).
I can respect what you TRY to do as a businessman and a developer,believe me I really wanted to enjoy your games, I wish they were as good as you think they are,but frankly I think they are all rubbish. You and your development team are crack amauters as far as I am concerned, playing in a league that is a galaxy ahead of what you are capable of. This group of "teeny leetle" people have a vested interest in what they have been working for some time.

My suggestion to you is rather than aquiring a licence to a succesful series to "develop" a sequel , you should aquire the rights to a game engine that actually works. And rather than flaming the community that loves the game and would probably buy your game IF you did happen to create a winner, why not work with them.

I invite you to take a look at the Egosoft forums for thier "X" series of games. You could learn a little about how a person in a Dev position should relate to the people that buy these games.
Also note how they actually patch thier games, and not only fix the problems with what they have done so far, but give extra content with their patches. Something that allways seems to be missing after you release crap on the market and actually charge for it.

And on one last final note; if all of yourgames have made money , then you are a crook. I dont think that releasing such garbage would fly in any other industry than your beloved crap indie game market.

Thanks

Rybiz

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Rybiz, some of your post shows you're misinformed. Derek Smart has actually released patches to his games, particularly the original Battlecruiser. The original was released pre-alpha or so, but he released a patch a few months later which added features and made it playable.
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
He's stated his opinion, and I, for one, am glad to see people from outside giving a voice of support for making FS3 as good as it can be, whether that be in the hands of Derek Smart or anyone else :)

Offline magatsu1

Originally posted by Kamikaze
The original was released pre-alpha or so, but he released a patch a few months later which added features and made it playable.

It's the "Rush the release and patch later" syndrome that is ruining the PC market, and it sucks.
Blitzerland: Knows what he's talkin' about

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
:welcome:
rybiz
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
Dang, I get sick for 3 days and I missed the meltdown?  Dang...

This whole thing is pretty silly, anyway; Derek Smart is just sad nobody 's flamed him in months, and he wants to stir the pot a little. He's not going to buy the license; I doubt he actually has the raw cash-money to outbid HLP (and what's the current bidding going for, anyway? $1500?).
"I think they all look great. None of the appendages look like a dick."
"Your mind hurts me." - Shrike

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
... :wtf:

Keep in mind that the current HLP pot is at $0.

Originally posted by Stryke 9
... :wtf:

Keep in mind that the current HLP pot is at $0.

See what I mean? There's no way he could outbid that :p

Seriously, nobody is desperate enough to sell to Derek Smart. Interplay isn't going to sacrifice whatever dignity it has left.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
It just got kicked out of its offices for being a deadbeat. What dignity?

Though I think Smart's still speculating about it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 01:19:04 am by 262 »

Originally posted by Stryke 9
It just got kicked out of its offices for being a deadbeat. What dignity?

Let me put it this way: even hobos want to die with honor.

Although, seriously: what does Smart have to gain from acquiring Freespace? The love of the community - oops, screw that. And he's already more or less said that if he does get the license it's going to be in the vein of the Battlecruiser games. He's already completely dedicated to the BC series; if he somehow acquired Freespace, all that would mean he has to either work twice as hard to develop the game, or scrap the existing BC universe and risk alienating his small core of fans. Nobody is that stupid, not even Derek Smart.

With that in mind, I see three alternative possibilities:

1) Smart is genuinely interested in the license, but more as a "badge of honor" rather than as a serious venture.

2) Smart wants to scare someone else into buying up the license, thereby sparking a revival of the genre in which he, Derek Smart, will receive prominant focus.

3) He's just stirring the pot because he can.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
never underestimate the stupidity of other people.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together