Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211523 times)

Offline ShadowWolf_IH

• A Real POF Guy
    • CoW
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
OK people....i think enough is enough.  Is derek Smart arrogant?  yes he is.  Is also pompous and self important?  Yes he is.  However.....did he get flamed before he even got into this community?  Yes he did.  By every damned one of us.  I hate to say it, because god knows i love HLP and FS, but we were wrong.  Maybe he can't do a good job on FS, hell some of us can't, and we like to consider ourselves Guru's.  From his post earlier, he is going to try to contact the people at [V].  Who knows, if they are interested he may even go to them for devolpment.....wouldn't we all feel like a right bunch of morons then?  

Here's the deal....yes he came in flaming.  Well so would i.  It was just as wrong of him to come in flaming like that as it was...oh i don't know....us to start flaming anyway.  Christ almighty we are all adults here...or close to it chronologically.  Time to act like it.  I'm sick of all the Derek Smart threads.  If we want to talk about pre empting him in a business decision that's one thing, but can we stop the bashing?  It wasn't called for when he bashed us, it wasn't called for when i bashed him, it still isn't called for.

Am I a fan of Derek Smart?  No.  Have I been converted to his way of thinking?  No.  Do I think we should kiss his ass?  No.  But the simple fact is, that if you go to page 1 and start reading, he was flamed before he got here, he came in angry and flamed back and a war was started.  We (meaning some people at HLP) started this crap.  

I am sure that some of you will no doubt be flaming me in about 2 minutes, but i don't much care.  Some of the things he said were uncalled for, some of the things i said to him were uncalled for, and alot of what we've said to him is uncalled for.

Everyone blew it on this one.  Me included.  This bull**** is killing the reputation of HLP, we expect to get help funding a venture to buy the liscence to a game.  If i was someone who was being asked and i read these threads i would say hell no, if you are too immature to even hold a debate with someone about the abilities that they posess and lack, then you sure as hell aren't mature enough to hold the liscence to a game.  

So let's simply pat each other on the back, because while we were busy being big shots in our own eyes and telling derek off, we were giving him all the ammunition he needed to screw us if he wants to.  We as a community had better wise up real fast, because we can't afford to keep blowing it like we did this time.

We should all be ashamed of our actions.  From Me, to all of you, and to Derek.  HLP, Derek Smart, certain individuals at AV.  We all should be ashamed of how we handled this.  We all had a chance and we all blew it, right about now i am thinking that cost of all of our indescretion on this matter is far too high.

Am I a fan of derek Smart?  no.  Have i been converted to his way of thinking?  No.  I am a member of HLP, and as such i helped screw us all, just like the rest of you, just like Derek Smart.  

I'm done with these threads.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 03:17:08 am by 820 »
You can't take the sky from me.  Can't take that from me.

Casualties of War

Well, if this *does* somehow go through (in the alternate reality where Argentina won World War II) at the very least he'll most likely be digging his own grave.

In any case, I'm still certain he's not going to do it. Relax, enjoy your "I Got Flamed By Derek Smart On The Inter-Net" t-shirts.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 03:27:43 am by 794 »
"I think they all look great. None of the appendages look like a dick."
"Your mind hurts me." - Shrike

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
OK people....i think enough is enough. Is derek Smart arrogant? yes he is. Is also pompous and self important? Yes he is. However.....did he get flamed before he even got into this community? Yes he did. By every damned one of us. I hate to say it, because god knows i love HLP and FS, but we were wrong. Maybe he can't do a good job on FS, hell some of us can't, and we like to consider ourselves Guru's. From his post earlier, he is going to try to contact the people at [V]. Who knows, if they are interested he may even go to them for devolpment.....wouldn't we all feel like a right bunch of morons then?

Sorry...what? I was online, and I posted, and while I wasn't bubbling over with joy (In fact I was quite negative and pessimistic about everything) I didn't have anything against the guy. It was *after* he started flaming people that I got annoyed.

My major beef now is that he seems to be into making an example of the HLP sinners, and stirring up a righteous fury against us because he chose to see the worst posts in the worst way.

Now, if he were to get the old :V: dev team back, and throw himself at the mercy of daveb...I wouldn't really care. I mean, at this point, all he's done is really degrade himself as a person in my eyes. I have no clue what his programming skills are and what the end result of him building Freespace 3 would be, but I think he's explicitly  stated his opinion regarding the projects at HLP.

So personally, I think if he gets the rights, from what he's said we have a lot to worry about. But if someone else gets the rights...I'm liking that.

Derek Smart is welcome to build Freespace 3 in my eyes - just as long as he doesn't soil the name. But I think he's far too immature to be entrusted with the license. If he wants to prove me wrong and  try to make peace with us, I'll happily stand corrected.
-C

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
That's your opinion Shadow, and it most certainly does not tally with mine.

My opinions on DS are my own, but take a look at the order of flames chronologicaly, unless you are this Utnayan character, who was the only person trolling before DS and his henchmen started deliberately baiting members.

Don't sell us short, and don't assume that just because we are strong characters that we start every argument ;)

Flipside

Edit : To further elaborate, if I walked into a bar in Ireland and said 'Give me a beer you bastard IRA member and make it fast because I'm English, the police report would probably define it as suicide.

Anyway, that's my piece.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 04:55:33 am by 394 »

Originally posted by ShadowWolf_IH

So let's simply pat each other on the back, because while we were busy being big shots in our own eyes and telling derek off, we were giving him all the ammunition he needed to screw us if he wants to.  We as a community had better wise up real fast, because we can't afford to keep blowing it like we did this time.

We should all be ashamed of our actions.  From Me, to all of you, and to Derek.  HLP, Derek Smart, certain individuals at AV.  We all should be ashamed of how we handled this.  We all had a chance and we all blew it, right about now i am thinking that cost of all of our indescretion on this matter is far too high.

You really think the type of guy you've just described NEEDS an excuse to 'cut us out' of whatever he's doing? No, he'll have already decided on his vision and he's not going to cater to our views unless we start licking his balls wherever he treads. If he gets the license then our fate was sealed the moment he made that first post.

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Well I think its time to let these threads die, everyone has had their say, time to move on and enjoy life :D
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Wondered what was the fate of Admiral Bosch ? he became DS :D

More seriously, before thinking of buying a licence of FS, why not thinking about funding those who pay for the hosting service of FS2Net ?

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
A little back to the 90 page-long guide: I think even FreeSpace's guide MAY be that long, but a guide is not designed to be read first after you bought a game. You only need it when you do not find your way around or some questions come up(let's guess, you do not know how to change your weaponry in the weapon selection). In case, you pick up the guide and open it in the appropriate page. After finding the solution, you put down the guide and continue playing.

If you HAD to read 90 pages BEFORE starting to play just to know what the whole game is about, a 90 page-long reading is long, indeed.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Inquisitor

DW-Florian: I pay for that. I accept donations via paypal, though, if you feel compelled ;)

Right now, all the Derek insults are blurring. It is becoming noise. People might as well put it in their sigs for all the attention anyone is paying to it.

3 days of "Kill him!" tends to numb the senses ;)

On a brighter note, the avault thread has one of best collections of FSO screenies I have seen in a while, someone should make sure they end up on the FSO site...

Oh, that would be us SCP guys...
No signature.

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Originally posted by Inquisitor

On a brighter note, the avault thread has one of best collections of FSO screenies I have seen in a while, someone should make sure they end up on the FSO site...

Oh, that would be us SCP guys...

Indeed, when I saw them I think I was blind little while it was so so..:eek2:
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
The nebula background on Smart's pictures suck. I do not have any problem with his models, though. But of course, KARMA's Fenris, Bob's Deimos and Nico's some fighters rule them all.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
All I can say is wow... Simply wow... I'm away for a couple of days, and the wampa really hit the fan. My eyes are bleeding from this whole thread, but hell what a read. I just can't believe it. Insane. Totally insane. And on Freespace 3... Well, lets see what happens. From what I've read and seen, I can't say much for his attitude, but hell who knows... It might be good. I'll give him the benefit of a doubt.
I have returned... Again...

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
ARGH! My mind is melting...he's trying to turn Freespace into another Battlecruiser/Universal Combat game!

:hopping: :hopping:
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
No. He's stated clearly enough that he wont do THAT.

LOL, this is the longest thread I have seen in like 2 years.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
well, it seems that the PCpowerplay forums are a buzz with this info.. not like here or avault.. but going alright nonetheless.. which is good, since PCpowerplay is a major PC gaming mag here.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Inquisitor

Link?
No signature.

Offline TheVirtu

• Firedancer
    • http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Originally posted by Dark_4ce
No. He's stated clearly enough that he wont do THAT.

You been reading Avault?
Project Leader of the Ascension of Beyond Campaign
"There was a time of peace, this time is over, peace will be paid for in blood."
Site Director of the Auto Assault Outpost- http://autoassault.edgegaming.com
Site Director of the Darkspace Connection - http://www.3dap.com/darkspace
Former Webmaster of i82.co.uk - Shut Down 2/12/03
"If HLP wants your developing, they'll promote you to Senior Engineer, now shutup and focus!" - Shi
Think of the Coke machines! What did they ever do to you![/b]

Offline Inquisitor

Yeah, most recent is a hint that he'd do something like freelancer for the backdrop of the game. With stuff happening all the time instead of just mission based scripted events.

Something that people wanted the SCP to do at one time, incidentally.
No signature.

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
Oh... Did he add some more? I did read some of his posts on avault that stated that he wanted to steer away from making it like BC or UC.  I'll go check it out.