Author Topic: Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3  (Read 211131 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Derek Smart wants to Develop FS3
It never really has been consistant.  It's been sort of a "I'll be true to FS style" but with not-so-subtile hints that he'd want to do another freeform with it, which is not at all FS style.  A bit of a conflict, if you ask me, and I don't think he sees it that way.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
*sigh*

I'll quote a line from a famous poem...

"...How did it come to this?"

But hell on the flipside this is better than a spanish soap opera. :D
I have returned... Again...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Heh, leave me out of this ;)

Seriously though, for now, I'm content to sit and wait and see what happens. My own opinions are my own, and I expect everyone on here has their own opinion, but I've said my piece for now, on a few forums, about my own personal opinion of the situation. Since I have no information regarding what is really going on, I can't really jump to assumptions about what FS3 is going to be like.
So for now, I'm taking a step back and waiting to see what happens and find whether my hobby will continue to be something that relaxes me, or whether it's time to find another hobby.

I've had enough stress and concern for now, I've never really been concerned about the 'fate' of FS3, if it happens, it happens, but I mod and participate for pleasure, and I have to face it, it's not bringing me much of that at the moment, which is somewhat like the loss of an old friend :(
« Last Edit: July 19, 2004, 06:10:16 pm by 394 »

Offline Zarax

My final judgment on the thing will depend on the amount of [V] personnel/material he will use...
I mean, with a [V] storyline the software below matters less... I'm sure you get what i really mean ;)
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...

Originally posted by Inquisitor
Link?

Heres the game mag main url, forum seem to no functional at the moment.:wtf:
http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Originally posted by Sigma957

Heres the game mag main url, forum seem to no functional at the moment.:wtf:
http://www.pcpowerplay.com.au

Word of warning...  You have to sign up to see the fourms...  

And they are not that different over there.  Nobody like DS anyWHERE!
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline Inquisitor

Meh, sign ups don;t bug me.
No signature.

Offline Inquisitor

Pretty harmless thread.
No signature.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
He's said that he doesn't want another BC in the most vague, general terms possible, and then every time he's offered details it's been manifestly apparent that's exactly what he's planning.

Mind, this is the guy who could call Venom a crap-spewing Frenchman and then turn around and get huffy at the suggestion he was being insulting, right after apparently taking mortal offense at someone's suggestion that there might be a minor graphical bug in his engine. His perception of what makes a game a Battlecruiser game- his perception of anything- is deeply surreal.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by DSmart [3000AD]
How can I forget the group of people who couldn't make Freespace2 a retail success worthy of its effort? Do you REALLY want to go there?

You know, I couldn't stand by and let that one go unassaulted.  Sorry to burst your little bubble there Derek, but it was INTERPLAY that dropped the ball there.  Yeah, thats right!  YOUR FRIENDS screwed the pooch.  It wasn't Volition's responsibility to publish the game, it was INTERPLAY'S.  If Interplay had actually ADVERTISED the game, it would have sold alot better.  I've talked to people that have played the first game, and never even HEARD of the second one.  I introduced them to it and they were flat out blown away.  In fact, one of them flat out stated that FS2 had the best graphics and gameplay he had ever seen.  This is someone that regularly plays FPS games, completely blown away by a game with (and I quote) "an legacy engine".

For the record, until I heard about this story I had never even HEARD of you, let alone your pathetic "games".  I decided to check up on your reviews and have yet to read a good one.  Freespace2, on the other hand, got RAVE reviews and to this day still has an active fanbase.  Hell, DESCENT still has a very active fanbase, and its been around for what, 10 years now?  I can assure you that after reading what an egotistical dickhead you are, I will not be buying ANYTHING you make or are the least bit involved in.  Same goes for anyone I meet.  Your so-called experience doesn't mean jack **** when you alienate the very fans you're supposed to be catoring to since WE are the only ones that would remotely be interested in your little project.  You obviously never payed attention in any of your business classes.  Don't tell me...you bought your so-called doctoritte online from overseas didn't you?

I may not be working "in the industry", but remember that its people like ME that pay for the games that MAKE your salary.  So go ahead, flex your ego a little more and see how big a check you get next time.  I guarantee you none of it will be from my wallet.

Oh, for those that are reading, I only got to page 10 before I gave up and had to post this.  If someone has already brought this up, or the mods posted a message somewhere in this thread for replies to him to cease, I apologize.  I couldn't sit idly by anymore and let that one go.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
It's ok...
*pats Vertigo on the back*
We feel your pain
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by jdjtcagle
It's ok...
*pats Vertigo on the back*
We feel your pain

Yeah, I haven't been here in AGES.  Hell, I was suprised to see Setekh back.

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Welcome back:)
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Welcome Back Vertigo :)

Thanks for the support, I understand how you feel.

Offline Cabbie

Originally posted by Vertigo1

If Interplay had actually ADVERTISED the game, it would have sold alot better.  I've talked to people that have played the first game, and never even HEARD of the second one.  I introduced them to it and they were flat out blown away.  In fact, one of them flat out stated that FS2 had the best graphics and gameplay he had ever seen.  This is someone that regularly plays FPS games, completely blown away by a game with (and I quote) "an legacy engine".

Agreed. I'm one of those people. I played the first Freespace and loved it but only got part 2 after several years it was released because I did not know it exsisted.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2004, 05:02:47 pm by 1826 »

Offline USS Alexander

• I 0wn TAP
    • http://www.ngproductions.nl
So the license is for sale? how much do you think it costs?

I'm for V it's there little baby so....simpel!
icq 127261564
www.ngproductions.nl
Tapping I3****

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by Cabbie
Agreed. I'm one of those people. I played the first Freespace and loved it but only got part 2 after several years it was released because I did not know it exsisted.

On that same token, there are still alot of Descent fans that loved the first two, but never even heard of the third (and final) game and it's add-on.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Has everyone made their feelings known now and can we move on?  Come on, this has been a giant farce from the minute it was posted.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
Well I calculate more newbies to post and start it all over again. :p
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness