Author Topic: Ship size and role in the FS universe.  (Read 32901 times)

Offline Zarax

Ship size and role in the FS universe.
Not if it's well planned ;)
The Best is Yet to Come

Originally posted by StratComm
Bah, no offense to the Inferno crew, but R1 v1 was the uncanon of the uncanon.  And with a new version coming, anything from the old R1 is questionable.

Remaining true to canon has never been even a slightest consideration for us, IMO there's so little backstory to FS2 that it wouldn't be worth sticking to in any case just for the sake of it.

Regarding fighter launches, my vision of Inferno's carriers was one where the internals of the warship were dedicated to storing large amounts of fighters, typically 200-300 fighters, bombers and support craft. These craft would be brought to the launch bay as necessary, hopefully inside one minute, to be armed and crewed (in about another minute) before take-off. Whereas destroyers of the past could accomplish the same thing, it would take much longer because the systems for storing and arming ships were largely manual and improvised as opposed to automatic and modular. New destroyers in the Inferno timeframe would still have a small fighter complement of 1 or 2 fighter wings on permanent standby to provide some flexibility should the warship enter an unknown situation. This arrangement would still leave the internal space inside the ship free for large reactors, heavy weaponry, massive armour plating, redundant systems and bulkeads, and extensive damage control, etc.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Zarax
Can't remember, but who forbids to make some that long?
That's what modding is for...
And Q2: Why then the enemy (be shivan or NTF) seems to always be capable to launch a nearly unlimited number of ships?

A >15 minute mission is a monumental pain in the tits if you die near the end.  Simple gameplay issue.......

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Clever mission balancing can solve it. Otherwise ignore any missions which take more than 10-12 minutes to complete, You are not used to flying for that great amount of time. After 8-9 minutes, you inpatiently start glancing at the time indicator.
This is my own opinion, I know that some people like extremel long missions when the greatest chance of dying or losing the whole mission is at the end. Take any of the Derelict missions.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

10 - 15 minutes are fine for some types of missions. In my campaign there's some boring cargo scanning missions and they last about 15 minutes, but the player should only have to play them once (unless they really, really suck) so it should be okay.

Offline Fergus

Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
10 - 15 minutes are fine for some types of missions. In my campaign there's some boring cargo scanning missions and they last about 15 minutes, but the player should only have to play them once (unless they really, really suck) so it should be okay.

No offense but I honestly don't think that putting in a cargo scan mission of more that 5 mins is a good idea (I personally find them incredibly infuriating "Why do I have to scan it?  I want to SHOOT it!"-not that I'm prone to much rage) especially if it is boring as you say.
Generic signature quote blabber

Well, that's initially the player's job, scanning. Because it's a time of peace and they got little else to do. I've got lots of chatter between the wingmen to keep the player interested. It's more of a character-building bit, than a real mission. Introduce the player to the characters + factions in the story with a few smugglers or some other action along the way.

Sometimes I also have a scan mission turn into a red alert mission where they go bust up some pirates or something more fun like that :)

Offline Zarax

Well, that's true if you only have to scan stuff... But think about FS2 mission 2...
It starts with a cargo raid/inspection but evolves into something much more interesting ;)
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline Fergus

Maybe have a pirate raid? or Alpha and cruiser jumping into pirate den and chat between enemy craft arriving.
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline Zarax

There is plenty of room for many mission types... Just add some imagination and you're ready for that ;)
The Best is Yet to Come

Well when I'm designing my mission, it has to have one purpose for certain, that being it advances the story. If the mission does nothing but is just some self-contained scanjob then there's little point for its existance.  Now some missions may advance the story more than others, but that's the way it goes.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Themain use, IMO, of missions like scanning ones is to either build up to/contrast with the impending 'action', or to allow further exposition of the plot (i.e. more room for wingman chatter)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
And more likely that wingmen will actually be alive.  Long missions can be ok as long as the ending isn't easy to fail, otherwise you really should be using a red alert mission so that the player can pick back up after the chatter rather than sitting through it again.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The problem with long missions is - and with most space shooters so far - is that you can't just bog out when you've taken too much beating or retreat to a carrier for a spare ship.

In WWII some pilots (during the airwar for England) got shot down multiple times, only to take-off for the fray once again.

A long (quite long) mission is far from impossible if ejecting and/or switchin ships/emergency repairs are a possibility.

That way engagements can take a lot longer, and succesfull completeion of all objectives - and staying there all the time - are not necessary to pull it off as a victory.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Zarax

Well... Disregarding canon a bit now it is possible to do battlefield repairs...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The support ship?  That solution never made sense to me, as you'd need to overhaul the fighter in a lot of cases to repair major hull damage.  It also makes the mission as easy as the player wants to make it, since all he has to do to get a new lease on life is to call in support.  Flying over to your carrier and docking with it for repairs and having your fighter launch back out again, on the other hand, is much more plausible.  Flaser makes a good point, but it doesn't resolve the issue with the way Freespace is structured.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline Zarax

I never said full or major repairs... The support ship should only be able to jury-rig stuff and sealing a few scratches... There are veichles capable of that today, so why not in the future?
So, the player can call a support ship, but it won't grant him a new lease of life rather than just a few extra points to keep the ship from getting into pieces...
The Best is Yet to Come

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Except that currently, vechicles that can do that are slow in getting the job done and have manipulators that can actually work on the damaged areas.  The support ships don't; I've always assumed that Freespace fighters use modular subsystems so that if one is destroyed the support ship just drops another one in.  It may have a manipulator arm that comes out of the bottom when it docks, but that wouldn't do much on the outside of the ship.  And lets face it, what's that 10% hull integrity going to do in a 15 minute battle anyway?

Support ships use nano-bots as far as I know. Not modular replacements.

Offline Zarax

10% can help you to withstand a few more hits that makes the difference when needed...
Anyways it's up to the designers to make interesting missions... If they happen to be 20 minutes long and be well done at the same time it's fine for me...
The Best is Yet to Come