Author Topic: The size of the GTVA  (Read 7484 times)

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp

Originally posted by Ace:
I'll need to check, but each convoy ship carried at least several hundred thousand or so.

No way in hell could you fit that many people inside those ships.  A thousand, maybe two each.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
1. Despite the fact that the last convoy jumps in only a little before the nova, only about half of the convoy actually gets to the node, they didn't appear to be much in a hurry...
2. Who said that most of the Capella people survived anyway? Half is a bit high, I agree partially
3. They had longer than a day. The evacuation began immediately after the first Sathanas popped up, it would have taken quite a while for that army of slow-moving Sathani to gang up at the staging area, disperse through the node, travel all the way to capella, and finally fly the long stretch to Capella's sun (they never mentioned the Juggernauts taking it in warp stages, in fact indicated slightly the contrary, so that must have taken days...) Capella's population had quite a long time to get the hell out of the way, and since the entire Terran-Vasudan fleet was presumably involved in helping out, I think the efforts of half a galaxy would transport most of the Cappellans out in time...

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
12 convoys an hour? That seems to be overdoing it a little... Since the last pre-supernova was the desperate final evac. I personally wouldn't say more than five at the earlier stages. So for the high estimate let's 7.5 days with 9 3000-ppl convoys an hour. Note that this would a more optimistic estimate, so...

4,860,000 would be the number. Still *just* 4.8 million people - yikes if you think there were billions.

------------------
[Looks at his XWAU Orders... Keep a high profile.]
X-Wing Alliance Upgrade Project Public Relations. No, XWA won't suck anymore!
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
No way in hell could you fit that many people inside those ships. A thousand, maybe two each.

In SM3-06 the entire convoy (two Argos, a medical frigate, and a Triton freighter) has an amount of "several hundred thousand" as mentioned in a failure debriefing.

I'd guess that the medical ship contains 100 thousand and each Argo contains 50 thousand.

That of course is guessing that "several hundred thousand" is 200,000. More then likely the number was higher.

------------------
Ace
Staff member FreeSpace Watch
 http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Which is blatantly unrealistic.  A Hippocrates can provide medical care to 'several thousand patients,' cramming 100,000 people inside a ship that size would be impossible, simply from a volume standpoint.  An Argo, at a mere 171 meters long, would likewise be patently incapable of carrying 50,000 people.

Any evacuation effort would be hampered by several things.  Firstly, the transport capacity of GTVA ships.  There is a finite number of people you can cram into a ship, beyond which you'll run into casualties simply due to transport.  Secondly, there's getting them into orbit in the first place.  Ships like the Hippocrates are obviously not designed to land on a planet, which brings us to point 3, that being moving the people to the ships in the first place.  How long do you think it would take to load even 1000 people into a transport, launch into space, rendezvous with another ship, transfer them over, then repeat on the other end?  Finally, judging from the condition of many of the transports, they wouldn't be able to make more than one or two trips, you can't do repairs in the middle of an evacuation efforts.
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Well Shrike, go yell at Mike Breault at Volition for making such a blatantly unrealistic line in an FS2 mission  

------------------
Ace
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
I'll yell at him for the 500 tons of AM in a Tsunami as well.  

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Naturally sizes are going to be averaged... huge ships shrunk and tiny ships expanded... this is perfectly natural and used for the sake of convienience (Imagine trying to pass a ship that really could fit 50000 people, what with all the other stuff a ship rtequires, as well as life support, it would be as big as a large city and take a  boring 5-15 minutes (if you think this is acceptable time, time yourself during a game, time sense gets expanded to the point whee 30 secs seems like 5 mins.)just to pass in front of on even the fastest fighter... A game with the actual scale would not be packed with action or indeed fun at all, it would be boring and seem unrealistic.
Also, another thing to consider, just because a capship is so big in proportion to your fighter, often throws off your idea of scale... look at the game in the outside camera mode for once, see how tiny that little cockpit is compared to your fighter and then how big compared to a destroyer- they really would have quite a volume.

------------------
So sayeth the Human Crab.

Left Behind:
 www.wpierce.com/wlp/FS2/lbmain.html

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
The Colossus had a crew of 30,000 don't forget, and that wasn't an enormous part of the ship's volume.  However, the ships involved in the evacuation were not particularly large, really.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Like I said- the game is not really to scale. Although generally they say that there are a few hundred people in an Argo- which looks right, particularly since refugees would be packed in like cattle.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
The Colossus is ridiculous, however. It is NOT 3 times the size of a Hecate!

Offline Grey Wolf

By volume however (note:these are bound box sizes)
Hecate: 4.073284664 Cubic KM (1532/1223/2174)
Collosus: 19.352792836 Cubic KM (1327/2204/6617)
So you see, the Collossus, even considering it's only ~1/2 the size of it's boundbox, is ~3 times the volume of the Hecate by my estimate.

------------------
Webmaster of GTD Wolf

Visit the GTD Wolf Forums here

Any and all Bosch Beer is hereby stolen - ahem, confiscated - by the GTVA - No, ensign, don't get out the cups yet - and must be sent to the GTD Orion Class Destroyer, the GTD Wolf - Corporal, I said we wanted pizza, not hamburgers! - stationed in this system. Any reluctance to comply and we'll make you our pinata - ahem, PoW - until further notice.
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
Like I said- the game is not really to scale.

Also, FreeSpace ships are to scale.

All vessels are within meters and are accurate to one another in this respect.

FRED2 also operates within a meter scale, FreeSpace 2 craft as well as FreeSpace ships are all built to work in the proper scale.

Perceived size often is smaller then actual ship size due to angles or in many cases poor mission design with 3rd parties.

(for example, the FS1 demo gave the impression that the Fenris was massive due to the initial angle)

------------------
Ace

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited 08-05-2001).]
Ace
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
  the Fenris is massive.. take a Serapis and fly right next to it and look at an outside view.... hehe

Its kinda like Independence War 2, you think all the ships are so small(and you being small as well) but they are rather large!

------------------
    -Director of the staff of Hidden Terror.
   -Fleet Admiral of The Ancients Armada

The fear always controls our attitude, let us fear no more!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
However, the cockpit view (the one everybody has to use, so it's what matters) is not. It's larger than the actual fighter. Which does tend to give a diminished sense of scale.

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
  yea thats probably right.... it should be narrowed down a lot, not this huge thing  

------------------
    -Director of the staff of Hidden Terror.
   -Fleet Admiral of The Ancients Armada

The fear always controls our attitude, let us fear no more!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
And besides, it doesn't matter that they talk about the meters, etc. If a fighter ship needs that much stufdf just to support a single person, than a ship holding 10000 people would need to be 9000 times as big at least. Which the capships aren't.

Offline Grey Wolf

Orion: 1073144856 m3
Erinyes: 3640 m3
1073144856/3640=294820.0154
As you see, the Orion's volume is 30000x larger. Also, you must remember, most of the space is taken up in a fighter by engines and munitions, which would not take up as much room in a destroyer.

[This message has been edited by Grey Wolf 2009 (edited 08-06-2001).]
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009:
Orion: 1073144856 m3
Erinyes: 3640 m3
1073144856/3640=294820.0154
As you see, the Orion's volume is 30000x larger. Also, you must remember, most of the space is taken up in a fighter by engines and munitions, which would not take up as much room in a destroyer.

[This message has been edited by Grey Wolf 2009 (edited 08-06-2001).]

lol, I doubt the erynies is 3km3 lol
SCREW CANON!

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Stop being right, dammit! How about an Argo?