Author Topic: Model and Normal Maps Status  (Read 144905 times)

Offline Darius

Re: The Big Normal Maps Thread
The Artemis D. H. has a different tail structure. I expect it'll only make a minimal difference to it though.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
It needs a completely different normal map, but that one is done already too.

Here is another one:

--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Which is actually better on system resources?
That all depends on just how far you want to go in terms of detail. If you intend to have all the hull plates and other details look 3d, go with a normal map in preference to modelling in that detail, because if you modelled it all in you'd be looking at thousands and thousands of extra polys.

However, normal mapping is currently best suited to only that kind of detail. If you need larger or more complex detail, then you'd be much better off modelling it in. An example of this is the Arcadia - even its small detail is too big to accurately portray using normal mapping, so I'll be modelling it in using detail boxes and stuff.

Basically: modelling it in is far less resource intensive than adding a normal map, but only up to a point. Beyond that point you'd be wasting thousands of polys where a normal map could be used instead.
Another thing that matters is engine upgrades.  Since memory usage from textures and effects has been one of our biggest problems, that area has received most of the work over the past couple of years.  Memory handling is now far superior to what it used to be.  The problem, is that now it can't get any better.

Geometry rendering has barely been touched though, and is extremely inefficient.  And for 3.7, fixing that is my primary concern.  It will likely take of couple of versions to actually get everything updated, but it will be worth it.  The collision detection code is also pretty crappy in the efficiency department, but there are some changes that could be made there to improve things as well.

What this all means is that normal maps can only slow things down.  More memory used means higher hardware requirements, which translates to it running slower for a lot of people.  Using more geometry on the other hand, will slow things down now, but in the future you could probably triple the geometry used on a ship and have it run at the same speed as it does now, if not faster.

So my advice has simply been to be selective about using normal maps.  Use them where you need them, not where you want them.  Some ships will do far better with a normal map than with more geometry, so go with a normal map there.  Other ships can benefit from a normal map, but to such a small degree that unless you are looking at the ship in the Lab you really aren't going to see any of that detail.  In cases like that you are only wasting memory, and more geometry detail would probably be advisable.  If you add more geometry and it gets slower then don't worry about it, because we've got a lot of room to work on the code to make it better.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
And also in addition to normal maps, take notice that Taylor has also added parallax mapping (-height).  :yes:  :yes:

Nevertheless, I really feel that in a game like this one, a space simulator where you don't move slowly and quite near other models to look at, (opposite to a FPS and room walls as example), parallax mapping IS THE GREAT LUXURY.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

And also in addition to normal maps, take notice that Taylor has also added parallax mapping (-height).  :yes:  :yes:

Nevertheless, I really feel that in a game like this one, a space simulator where you don't move slowly and quite near other models to look at, (opposite to a FPS and room walls as example), parallax mapping IS THE GREAT LUXURY.
Of course, so long as it's an optional feature that isn't being enabled by default, where's the harm in including it?  Some of us have the speed to burn on graphic niceties like that.  Yay upgrades.
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Do the Moloch. :p
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Partially, I already did. ;)

Anyway, maybe you should give it a try too.

(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I would if it worked on my card.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline bkd86

Has anyone done normal maps for the asteroids? That would/could make a huge difference in them.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
Partially, I already did. ;)

Anyway, maybe you should give it a try too.

Nice.

In truth I need to remodel that thing, I might get around to it soon. Because a ton of the work done on the model, could now be done with normal maps(ribs). If you can DaBrain, after your done with the normal maps, post a screen of the Non-HTL model, I wanna see how the ribs look fully normal mapped.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline teistiz

Has anyone been working on removing the existing shading from the MediaVP textures? When using normalmaps the usual colormap textures should _not_ contain any attempt at simulating lighting except ambience or the combination will look pretty horrible. I tried the nm_test.vp and noticed the Deimos corvettes still had the cartoonish shading in their colormaps while at least one of the textures it used had a corresponding normalmap. The result didn't look very good (well, ok, the Deimos textures never did).

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
We don't have self shadowing re-implemented at this stage, so in some cases painted on shading is still necessary. Certainly the pseudo directional lighting that I've always been painting onto hull plating needs to go (wow that will take some getting used to ;) ), but at this stage places that wouldn't get much light such as some recesses, tunnels, holes and other various typically dark places will still need to be shaded as such on the map.

They should be kept as a separate layer though in case self shadowing makes a return, meaning most of them could be removed.

Oh yeah, and I've recently figured out how to bake ambient occlusion maps in blender, so I'll be overlaying that on all future textures because the fake shading it produces looks great. :D (and can't be done by normal mapping)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline teistiz

but at this stage places that wouldn't get much light such as some recesses, tunnels, holes and other various typically dark places will still need to be shaded as such on the map.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant by mentioning getting rid of the shading except ambience in my post. Maybe it doesn't need to be as exagerrated as it is on some of the stock textures but removing it completely wouldn't look good either imho.

The ambient occlusion map's a kind of fake radiosity for ambient lighting, right? That should look pretty nice, at least on the smaller craft that it can be used with - the capital ships' use of repeating textures would probably make it impossible unless someone added a second set of texture coordinates.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Oh right. I assumed by 'ambience' you just meant having the map 100% uniformly lit. My bad. :)

And yeah, here's what the baked AO map looks like on the cockpit model:

(Ignore the stick - I messed up a bit there. Easy fix though.)
There's no lighting or shading or AO applied in that scene, just the baked texture displayed at 100% brightness - without it you'd just see a solid white outline. Overlaying this texture on the actual base map shades everything very nicely. :)
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

There is an Idea,  Normal Maps in cockpits.  I'm sure WCS would look into that once they are able to move instruments around.

Yay, and I just got to Bearbaiting again yesterday, what perfect timing!
Everything is better with monkeys.  Even pie.

That is the best first post I have ever seen.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If I got this right, normal mapping is best used for fighters/bombers that don't have many polies allready and for metal panel like textures.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
It's more of a per-ship decision really.

The Lucifer for example will benefit greatly once it has a final normal map because all the small-medium detail present on the UV map will be really brought out, whereas on something like the Ravana, Demon or Sathanas it won't be as noticable due to the relatively tiny details combined with the texture tiling. The Arcadia might benefit a bit, but it probably won't be a big enough difference the cost of a huge normal map for it (since I'll be UVing the thing).

Basically there aren't any set-in-stone rules for which types of ships are worth the effort and which aren't. :)
Twisted Infinities

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
So.....where can we get the final normal map pack/updated map pack as they come out?