Author Topic: A question about Ship Flags  (Read 2860 times)

A question about Ship Flags
What do the "capital", "Big Damage", and "Supercap" flags mean?
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
"capital" says it's a cap ship. "supercap" says it's a juggernaut, etc. i'm not sure about the "big damage" though.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

...You don't need flags to tell it's a Capship or Juggernaut.

Do they have any effect on the damage Anti-Capship bombs will do to them?

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.
...You don't need flags to tell it's a Capship or Juggernaut.

well, actually, i have some experience with flags.

usually, the "capital" and "supercap" flags tell the game which subspace sfx to use. it's also good for the techroom, so when you have a capship, if you have the "fighter" in techroom database (or whatever), it'll zoom out to where it's hard to see. if you put the "supercap" in techroom database for a Colossus, it would be at the perfect zoom.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Ah, you're right. Thanks.

Now what about the damage?

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
don't ask me. :D

i'm trying to figure that out myself, actually.

[EDIT] i THINK "Big Damage" is given to corvetees and up since they have more than 2 anti-capship and anti-fighter beams.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 03:24:12 pm by 2299 »

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Capital and SuperCap affect the AI and generally how the ship is treated in-game.

Big Damage means fighters can't bring the hull below 20% or something.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2005, 03:27:12 pm by 158 »
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
We're both right, then. :D

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Carl

Big Damage means fighters can't bring the hull below 20% or something.

IIRC it means weapons without the 'huge' (or something like that...) flag can't damage the hull under 20%.

I have a feeling the ship-type flags are used for the AI, both in terms of how the ship flies, and also how other ships target / prioritise targeting it.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:nod: i think he's got it.

The Reason I ask is because A Harbinger bomb is only supposed to do 3200 (3.2%) to an Orion, yet it does variable damage ranging from 4% to 6% to an Orion ingame. I'm trying to figure out why.

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
It depends on how fast it's going.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Err, for the record, Big Damage protects at 10%, not 20.

(Many a Moloch survived the main campaign for that reason alone.) :mad2:
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Originally posted by Carl
It depends on how fast it's going.

Eh? How fast it's going?

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:wtf: then why do I deal at least 10-15%+ damage.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
so if you start poinding a molocch with a subach you can get it down to 10% but no further?

What about supercap, do weapons need this flag to hurt supercaps, i cant kill a sath with helios's at all.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
i thought Big Damage made it possible to be targeted by beams...? you don't see Collosus taking out bomber wings with beams often, do you?
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Big damage does...absolutely nothing. Except that any ship with it will only have 5% damage dealt by flak.

capital and supercap flags basically make a ship targettable by big weapons (ie heavy beams).
-C

What about the bonus damage? I still haven't gotten a clear answer as to why the Bombs deal more damage than they should...I'm not sure what Carl meant...

FUKOOOOV!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Looks like damage depends on the hull strength of the object being hit.

On a side note, shiphit.cpp is a very interesting file. Especially the bottom of it. :D
-C