Author Topic: How do YOU play Freespace?  (Read 17023 times)

Offline Unidan

• http://unidan.stickserv.net/
How do YOU play Freespace?

Originally posted by sandwich:
Hmmm... I see a lot of you use the Precision Pro 2. I have one question for you: does it have the "shift" button that version 1 has - the button that effectively doubles the commands that you can assign to the joystick's buttons? Cause from what I can tell on the box, it doesn't, which is why I haven't bought it. 8 buttons are nice, but 16 buttons rule!

For example, I always have the trigger as primary fire, and the "shift"-trigger as toggle primary weapons. Very handy. I couldn't play w/o it.

I don't think so. Here are the controls on mine:  Trigger  Thumb Button  Little thumb botton  Other littlethumb button  4 Base buttons (the ones on the bottom)  Throttle  8-Direction POV hat

Even though it dosen't have a shift button you can program macros. example: I can program button 5 to fire my primary weapon, then equalize shields then fires secondary weapons and finally engace subspace drives, all with the touch of 1 button
I'll think of a siggie later..

A type D-14 Neural Interface Helmet, and when that doesn't work, a 7 year old mouse with a keyboard.
Culloden - 16th April 1746

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Unidan:
Even though it dosen't have a shift button you can program macros. example: I can program button 5 to fire my primary weapon, then equalize shields then fires secondary weapons and finally engace subspace drives, all with the touch of 1 button

That can be done with the Precision Pro Mk I - plus it has the Shift button.  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html

Originally posted by Stryke 9:
Then get out!  

No.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Neon

Keyboard...

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
MS SW Force 2 all the way baybe  
hmm.. .a real time voice communication would be nice too
Habeeb it...

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...

Originally posted by Eishtmo:
No.

Gotta love those flat out denials...  

------------------
nobody knows i'm strange...

A first generation Sidewinder pro.

he-he, had that stick ever since my old 486.
I told you that It would be done by November, well, mostly anyway...

I'm working on something new... shhhhh, it's a seceret.

Offline ^Graff

I use a Wingman Extreme.  I'm happy with it since it's the first stick that I've had more than a year without it breaking.  I also like the twist ability, although I don't use it nearly as often as I used to.
Originally posted by Anduril:
Dang, Graff, you good.  :)

Offline Crazy_Ivan80

• Node Warrior

Originally posted by Thunder:
I use the Saitek Cyborg 3D Joystick (the best available for us lefties), and the keyboards numberpad section. This allows me to do virtually everything with minimal hand movement.

Lol, I know the feeling...
I use the Guillemot Force Feedback Joystick (designed for use by left or righted handed people)
A huge beast of around 4 kilo and a lot of buttons, a throttle, a rudder and a hat (where would we be without one, it's so useful when looking at those cap-ships going boom while runnign from the blast   )

It came from outer space! What? Dunno, but it's going back on the next flight!
Proud member of Hard Light Productions. The last, best hope for Freespace...
:ha:

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by Crazy_Ivan80:
[Ba hat (where would we be without one, it's so useful when looking at those cap-ships going boom while runnign from the blast   )

[/B]

I gave the hat all my targetting commands :รพ
SCREW CANON!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Ok, original question:

I can't play Freespace... something about my PC not able to detect 3d Acceleration after numerous attempts to fix it...

But starcraft still woks
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Raa Tor'h:
Ok, original question:

I can't play Freespace... something about my PC not able to detect 3d Acceleration after numerous attempts to fix it...

But starcraft still woks

I don't see no question there. :-/

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...

Ok, original question:

But starcraft still woks

Starcraft is great...

Offline Alpha

• PPCGeeks.com
ONLY Keyboard here

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
Logitech Wingman Extreme w/ keyboard.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Depending on whether I'm feeling adventurous or murderous, I'll go with my Precision Pro or my keyboard (respectively).

Of course, my abacus is always handy. I think it was you who first said that, Eish...
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Force feedback all the way, theres nothing quite getting the hell knocked out of you by flak whilst feeling the recoil of whatever gun you're currently blasting away with. Of course the fun really begins when capships are going up, you're close to the blast and your getting hammered with antifighter beams, it just rocks  

------------------
Snack samurai sandwiches!! We slice 'em, we dice 'em, you eat 'em!!
(may contain traces of body parts)

Originally posted by darkage:
I use keyboard, i can do also do everythign whit it.i play most games whit keyboard. I can press the buttons and all the other functions blindly  

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Ok, original question:

But starcraft still woks

Are you using a 32bit video card?  Because I had problems with that - drops back to the desktop after the 3dFx logo.  I had to deactivate detect Glide or something like that.