Author Topic: FS3?  (Read 31323 times)

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
Apologies if this has already been linked to here. Hot off the VBB...
 http://vbb.volition-inc.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/015991.html
 http://faculty.concord.edu/manzione/index.html

Hrrmmmmmm?

------------------
ZylonBane's opinions do not represent those of the management.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Noooooo....you are posesed byt the FS3 virus.
*slaps Zylon on the head* wakeup wakeup!!!

Yup the top link was posted here but not the site

------------------

------------------
                                 [email protected]                               Staff member of
Inferno.    
Soc Inferno

Project Rebellion
Gost of the past
iqc 102628858
Pizza rules over pasta!
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline DragonClaw

• Romeo Kilo India Foxtrot
That so called "campaign-map" is the map used in BEL(Behind Enemy Lines)... too bad it got cancelled...

------------------
    -Director of the staff of Hidden Terror.
    -WebMaster of Imperial Productions

The fear always controls our attitude, let us fear no more!

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous

Originally posted by darkage:
Yup the top link was posted here but not the site  
Oops, I guess I accidentally looked for it in the correct forum.  

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Originally posted by RKIF-DragonClaw:
That so called "campaign-map" is the map used in BEL(Behind Enemy Lines)...

Actually the entire campaign bears a startling resemblance to BEL.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TDM/JM

Should clarify that BEL was the campaign I was doing. The map over there is mine. The stuff you read about Vincent-somebody and pirates and Sunspot Corporation, etc., was the direction they were going when I decided to bail out -- I thought my ideas were better, what can I say?  

What Tim's been talking about and what's up at our site are some of the things I was working on in connection with BEL.

Ascraeus, who is Tim's dad

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
    Reset count: 4
[Bangs ZB's head between two very hard rocks]
Already being discussed in several topics. It is not FS3. It does not mean that there will be FS3. All of this becomes obvious in the first .3 seconds of reading the topic.

Also, I really really wanted to do that to someone.
[does it again]

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp

Originally posted by TDM/JM:
Should clarify that BEL was the campaign I was doing. The map over there is mine. The stuff you read about Vincent-somebody and pirates and Sunspot Corporation, etc., was the direction they were going when I decided to bail out -- I thought my ideas were better, what can I say?  

What Tim's been talking about and what's up at our site are some of the things I was working on in connection with BEL.

You could have at least left a 'dear John' letter when you left, instead of simply bailing with no warning.  
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline TDM/JM

Posted this on the VBB:

Tim asked me to put a few more files from my outline up on the site. You can find them at
                                http://faculty.concord.edu/manzione/  

under "New". There's some artwork, a mission map, a briefing, and a couple of mission outlines in sequence with the last ones posted.

On some of the comments made here:

(1) Having been convinced that there would be no FS3, I wrote the outline with the intent of creating a "campaign" FS3 -- the next best thing. But I also knew it would never be sold, and would probably not be played except by people who were experienced with FS1 & 2. Veterans. Like the player-character I created. In any game it's very "artificial" to ramp up skills levels through the early missions -- the real world often hits you with everything on your first outing. You survive, or you don't. So I decided to do it differently. No ramp up; real world.

(2) Besides, what makes you think that the Sathanas or Ravanas are the biggest, baddest ships out there? Or that Dragons are the fastest, or Seraphims the most powerful bombers, or Maras the best all-around superiority fighters? I took FS into Shivan space, where the "real" war is. What the GTVA finds on the Shivan/Andarta frontier are the "front-line first-echelon" units, and they aren't equipped with aging, obsolescent weapons systems like the Sathanas. In the Great War and at Gamma Draconis the GTVA faced catagory-C and rear-echelon guard units. Which is why you can kill 200 Shivan ships in FS2 and still fear Shivan "superiority" -- it doesn't work any other way. In the failure sequence in one of the missions I posted tonight, you can find mention of the "NBTS," what we referred to as the                             Notorious-Bigger-Than-the-Sathanas-Ship," which was never modded. Think about a vast, capship battlefield between the Shivans and the Andarta at Arawn system on the map. That's what the tiny GTVA task force stumbles into towards the back end of the campaign. It's a hell of a mission, too ambitious, maybe, sure, but then I was writing FS3, fer cryin out loud, knowing it would never be made, so I pushed as hard as I could without getting silly about it.

(3) On whether a GTVA task force can survive in Shivan space -- The Shivans have more important concerns at first. Only when the  force reaches the Dyson Sphere at Khrishna on the campaign map do the Shivans realize the possible objective is linkage to the Andarta. At that point the Shivans realign their priorities, and things get tougher.

(4) On my son Tim -- he's bright and talented, and a better writer than I was at that age. He's motivated, and drives me nuts sometimes by asking questions. ("Why do
they have the big eyes, dad? How do you spell 'nocturnal'? Can you read this and tell me what you think? How do I make the smiley face?") But I thank you all for accepting and encouraging him.

Fair enough.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
'ships big enough to have a gravity field'...a remember DaveB or someone at   mentioning this when FS3 was still a possibility...

The frontline war is something I'm personally very keen on......

[This message has been edited by aldo_14 (edited 10-26-2001).]

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
JMS made similar claims about the Minbari capships before B5 started as a series. They'd be so big they would warp the space around them, etc. Of course what he ended up with was big, but not that big.

Oh, and Stryke is a putz. Check out his latest behavior on the VBB for proof.

hey TDM/JM, I can't get through on your link, it tells me the site is forbidden to me.

[This message has been edited by jonskowitz (edited 10-26-2001).]
I told you that It would be done by November, well, mostly anyway...

I'm working on something new... shhhhh, it's a seceret.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person
Ships big enouh to have a really noticeable gravity would necessarily collapse upon themselves under the strain- unless you reinforced them many times more than a standard ship yould be, which means more gravity, which means more density which means... and eventually you end up with nearly solid metal and a few tunnels, meaning you might have just added thrusters to a planet for all the good it does you.

Hmmm... Zylon, if you are going to act like you have a single neuron in that mothballed old cavity you call a skull, you might want to actually SAY THINGS WORTH HEARING/ reading. And keep it to the VBB, this is no-idiocy zone.

------------------
No, I can't remember the last time I posted something productive, mother.

<Ragnarok temporarily offline for sevicing>

Offline TDM/JM

My dad is putitng other things on his site from his work. He's going to have the FS outline on there too, next week and the notes and things he made. He's putting some of my things up too.

Somebody at VBB just said that my dad's been writing all this stuff, including my stuff. People can be dumb. I like Freespace. My dad's helping me. That's what dads are supposed to do, isnt it?  

Tim

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
Zylon, Stryke... STFU, both of you.  
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Stryke 9

• Village Person

Originally posted by Shrike:
Zylon, Stryke... STFU, both of you.  

Don't know what STFU is, but yeah, sorry. I've been easily pissed for the past few days, had to work pretty much constantly all week and thus got no sleep until yesterday.

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
STFU = Shut the F*ck Up.

I don't really mean it, (hence the  ) but chill out, will you guys?

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
bouh, I don't like this plot.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Personally, I love the plot (especially since it fits right in with my camp). Keep the info flowing!

Oh, yeah - the site is down...  

Stryke 9: I don't think I've mentioned anything to you before, but I will now. You can easily get...annoying, to put it nicely. Please try to remember that because we're communicating in writing, facial expressions and body language are useless (except for smilies...). So many of your (hopefully) joking comments can come across as much worse then they (hopefully) were meant to be. So try to tone it down a few notches, ok?

And Zylon - try to be patient with the crazies here at HLP - we may not be as numerous as on the VBB, but we certainly are insaner (that isn't a word, is it. Oh well...) then they.   Oh yes, ummm, yeah. Hi.  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline ZylonBane

• The Infamous
sandwich-- thanks, but my opinion of Stryke was formed entirely by his VBB behavior. His antics here are just the icing on the cake.  

And on-topic... it's a shame BEL wasn't finished. Sounds like it could have been a truly epic campaign.

------------------