Author Topic: Yes, it's 3.6!!  (Read 29901 times)

i tell you one thing i have had this great of a smooth frame rate since the original FS2.... with every on it plays decently well... only problem i think is when i use certain GFX, the weapons arent transparent and u see BLACK backgrounds around the weapon, or flak, it looks uber wierd and coll to a degree but it is a defect, but mind u this is only when half the settings are on... when its maxed out it doesnt happen...

my nominal framerate with just fighters and small cap ships is 20-35FPS, with larger caps it tends to get a whee bit boggy... but thats system related...

ONE PROBLEM i still have is the ETS system, i cant agument power from shields to engines or weapons... i dunno if this is a bug still in the game or a controll setting is incorrect...

Good job on the launcher and the installer.

Launcher could do with a little more feature explanation but I am fine so far.
About to dive into game to check the rest out :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

I got teh 3.6 to work fine (though the load timt is twice as long as normal, no biggie).

I gto ONE problem though I re-downloaded all the new Trek stuff Onmi made to try out and made a folder called FSTREK. I typed in the command line -mod DIRECTORY and hit MOD button bt when I choose that directory it says "mod name can't contain spaces"!!? I went back and added FS_Trek like in the wiki example and still same error?? What can I do?
Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide target selection !

ICQ#: 5256653
[email protected]

Projects: Gundam TC, Trek BTFF, REF, and Beyond Redemption
http://photo.starblvd.net/Star_Dragon

@Any admins reading this:

Why is this not on the front page as news?

I submitted the original post as a news item, but that didn't do anything.  Shouldn't we put something important like this up for public consumption?  Not everyone reads the forums.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Generally a great build, fixed a lot of the problems I had with the game, infact only the biggest one out of the lot remains.

That's pretty significant considering I had a particularly long list ;)

However, when I say 'biggest one' I do mean it :/

Frame Rate Stability...

My System will display a lot (and I do mean a lot) of ships, on screen, in a mission, with all compie spec taxing flagson at 85 FPS and hold there very stably.

However, as soon as I get within ...30m? on a fighter, or a longer distance on a larger ship -- it drops to 42.
I don't get frame rate problems from explosions or after burner trails, or anything like that, but as soon as I'm in close proximity to any ship and it's on my screen, my frame rate cuts in half.

Now, for someone that spends most of his time dog fighting people / AI at about 20-50m distance, this is extremely annoying, because it means that when I need my smoothness of turn to assist in my accurate aiming the most, my frame rate either drops or jumps up giving a short 'jerk' -- screwing my aim when most vital.

...Any ideas/recommendations?

Sys Specs;
Athlon AMD 3000 XP (400 FSB + mobo to match FSB, can't be arsed to find mobo box atm but it's a Nforce2 chipset).
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro 256 MB DDR RAM Card.
512 MB PCI 2600 DDR RAM.
SB Live! Value Card.

Active Flags;

E:\Games\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_3_6.exe -spec -glow -pcx32 -jpgtga -d3dmipmap -cell -ship_choice_3d -fps -show_mem_usage -snd_preload

Graphics;
Direct3D8 "Graphics" drop down.
Radeon 9600 Series Adapter drop down.
1024x768x32 Resolution drop down.
D3DMultiSample_None Antialiasing drop down.
General Settings 4. High.
Use Large textures Flag on.
Fix Font distortion problem Flag on. (probably don't need it but hey).

Audio;
Direct Sound

No Joy :p
Clues/Hints/Tips? :p
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
Wait.......
Since 3.6 is out.......
Shouldnt we be spamming it everywhere???
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Not with all the problems people are suddenly having. :sigh:
-C

It's a brand new release, with some new features, and you expect it to run too...?

My god, you've been captured by the Linux community!

*snickers*

Seriously, I'm sure you guys can iron out the problems soon enough.
$quot;Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.  And I'm not sure about the former.$quot;
 - Albert Einstein

$quot;It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.$quot;
- Gen. George Patton Jr.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Lightspeed
What are you waiting for?? Hit the highlight buttonZ!.

I've gotta download the thing first, silly. ;)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline WMCoolmon

Originally posted by Moonsword
It's a brand new release, with some new features, and you expect it to run too...?

My god, you've been captured by the Linux community!

*snickers*

Seriously, I'm sure you guys can iron out the problems soon enough.

See, there's been a preliminary release version drifting around since E3...which did have more bugs, to its credit.

Anyway, if I had been captured by the Linux community, we wouldn't release builds - just CVS snapshots, and heaven help you if one of your build libraries ('Cause you have to compile everything in Linux) was off by a version or two, because there'd be at least one mutual dependancy somewhere. :p
-C

You might not need to use linux to compile it. Taylor and I are still working on it. :)

Offline übermetroid

• Current Father Of Samus
  • He who dares wins.
Question on the new set up...  When I double click on the "features" it opens a window in Internet Explorer.  Anyway that can be changed to what ever is the main web browser?  

I am using firefox and that is alittle annoying.  :D
"This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time."

Offline jdjtcagle

• Already told you people too much!
lol, it does the exact opposite to mine :)
"Brings a tear of nostalgia to my eye" -Flipside
------------------------------------------
I'm an Apostolic Christian (Acts: 2:38)
------------------------------------------
Official Interplay Freespace Stories
Predator
Hammer Of Light - Omen of Darkness
Freefall in Darkness
A Thousand Years

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
ummm.....whats the latest build of FRED? the current one which i have doesnt seem to display briefing icons in the main window inside the editor.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

3.6 runs really slow, and its not just with the new explosions either. Opengl crashes at the start of missions.

Offline WMCoolmon

The latest version of FRED AFAIK is in this zip. :)
-C

Offline diamondgeezer

For the record, 3.6 appears to rock a fat one. Unlike previous builds it doesn't rape my memory until it bleeds - I can actualy enter and exit the game as many times as I like without the need for a restart. Yay!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Just a tip dg - and for anyone unaccustomed to the antics of Win2k/XP - start the taskmanagger and kill explorer.exe in the processes tab.

Now enter the task tab and select new task, type in: explorer.

You've just restarted the main browsing applet of your OS. - That solved a lot of problems for me, including some impossible codec or low level system component installs. (I had to kill it while some components were being written over).
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
Hey you just reminded me of all the work I have to do on my MODs ... yay ... :blah:

cool btw :lol:
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Good work guys :)
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi