Author Topic: Thinking on Shivans...  (Read 13259 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The damage the Capellan supernova would do to surrounding star systems is variable. Perihelion is quite correct that a supernova of a nearby star could cause serious damage to surrounding planets. Supernovae much further away are suspected of having caused mass extinctions in the past by stripping the ozone layer away. Wiping out Earth is quite possibly a reason behind the Shivan's actions.

The thing is we don't know how the Shivans made Capella go nova so the damage it can do to Earth can be more or less than that of a regular supernova.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

@ngtm1r

Well, I was a bit tired when I wrote that, but where do you feel I'm "contradicting myself?"

I think Kara's hit the nail on the head.  We don't really know how intense the explosion was.  However, the explosion doesn't need to be nearly as potent as some of you seem to be supposing.  It doesn't have to destroy the planet to trigger an extinction level event.  Biological life is ridiculously fragile, really.  There would be a burst of neutrinos (that probably wouldn't effect much except to really excite geeks like me).  The X and Gamma-Rays would continue for several days.  No clue how intense they would be since we're not talking about a naturally occuring event.

Just as a "Hey, this is kinda neat" aside, Capella is a binary star system.  The two stars are about 3 and 2.5 solar masses respectively according to current measurments.  I haven't checked this in many years, but I'm pretty sure that neither Capella star is massive enough to supernova naturally.

I suspect that you could arrange to shield major population centers.  That's not the problem.  The problem as Kara pointed out is that the burst would be damaging the atmosphere and surface of the entire planet.  Also important, the burst could be a destabilizing influence on the local sun.  Not that it is going to cause other suns to supernova or anything silly like that, but it might cause some pretty nasty local flares.  The recent spat of solar activity we've witnessed in real life is a walk in the park compared to what a star like Sol is capable of doing if sufficiently pissed off.  There's some evidense to indicate that it may have been a lot more "variable" in the past.

A sufficiently advanced civilization could probably engineer a way to protect planets from a supernova throwing their entire economy into it.  It is debatable whether or not the GTVA is sufficiently advanced.
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I checked into Capella a while back. Capella isn't large enough to go supernova by natural processes and it's in the wrong part of its life cycle at the moment anyway. Capella A is only 3 times heavier than the sun but would need to be 10 times heavier to undergo a supernova naturally.

If you want to hear something really interesting though at 3 Stellar masses it's just large enough to form a black hole if you can get it to go supernova. Gamma Draconis on the other hand at 1.7 Solar Masses isn't large enough. Make of that what you will.

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
Unfortunately for that theory, the formation of a black hole is dependent on the mass of the core after the supernova rather than the total mass.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm well aware of that but we have no idea how much of the stars total mass was actually ejected. The Shivans could have done the damage they did in the cutscene and only used a few percent of the stars total mass.

Well, you might get a black hole if the way they caused the star to supernova was to turn off the Pauli exclusion principle inside the star.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
You guys think way too much.

Yeah, well, I really don't want to do my work right now.  Boredom can be a profound motivator.  ;)
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You guys think way too much.

Bouncing ideas around gives me ideas for my own campaign :)  That alone is enough to make it worth it :)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Trust me, if you don't know it by now, discussion is hardly going to make it work.

Besides, who told you you can make your own campaign? I want you on mine damnit!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
:) I'm already oversubscribed. So many good campaigns, so little time unfortunately.

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
When they all finish? Or most of em anyway.

How many have you got currently?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Apart from the two in my Sig I'm also working solo on TMA and with the BSG team. I'm not looking for any more :)

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Well maybe when you finish those ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Thinking on Shivans...
Actually it goes around them, not having enough force to take them out in a blow, but I'm sure the planets cooked to disintegration after an hour or two.

The atmosphere (or at least the yellow stuff) goes around the planets.  The white shockwave obliterates them.  It's suggested by the shockwave effect, and it's confirmed if you look closely at the few frames of the "planet perspective" after the shockwave passes.  The planets are nowhere to be found.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
No. There's no visible fragmentation of the planets, but there is of a Moloch and and Deimos? Not buying that one, sorry...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
There is visible fragmentation of the planets, and there is visible fragmentation of the capships.  Everything gets disintegrated into little tiny bits and blown around.  Watch the movie again - I just did.  Everything hit by the white shockwave disintegrates.

Offline starfox

Perhaps the Juggernauts boosted the Supernova beyond "usual"...
Any idea where I could download that "Capella goes boom video"

http://oregonstate.edu/~plankerj/FS1movies/
Here are FS1 movies, but FS2 ones are no longer there...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006, 02:07:16 pm by starfox »
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Freespacezone has them but I think it might still be out of bandwidth (it was when I checked yesterday).

The link's on the cutscenes page of my FAQ.

Offline watsisname

Goober is right, the red shockwave blows off the atmosphere and rings (and more than likely killed every living thing on the planets) but the bluish-white shockwave completely obliterates what was left.  It looks to me like you could say that the red shockwave came from the outer layers of the star, and the blue shockwave was the "detonation" of the core.  I doubt that is scientifically accurate, but heck we all know that Freespace is not based on real physics. ;)

In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.