Author Topic: Classic campaigns: Awakenings / Destiny of Peace  (Read 16880 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Classic campaigns: Awakenings / Destiny of Peace
Destiny of Peace: This Post

Three years have passed since the collapse of the Sol jump nodes. The Galactic Terran Alliance have just successfully completed their counterstrike against the confused Shivan forces. But now,  things are going bad for the GTA. Shivan ships are pushing back in to reclaimed systems, in higher numbers than during the first months of the Great War. With the Terrans and Vasudans still recovering from the loss of key bases and ship yards, the Shivans are preparing for the next great push over.

You are one of the many pilots stationed at Galatea Station in the Vasuda system. As a seasoned veteran of the 14-year war, you look at your new assignment as one of confusion, as you are now sworn to protect the very system you vowed to destroy. Things go slowly on the station. You spend most of your time protecting the construction of the Vasuda 5 Shipyards, the largest Terran-Vasudan shipyard ever built. From the new shipyards, the T-V alliance plans to take the  fight to the Shivan homeworld.

While conducting a routine attack on HOL cruisers near the jump to Antares, a pair of GTD Orion class destroyers jump out of the middle of nowhere. Where did these ships come from? What happened to the crew? What will become of the GTA? These questions are answered in Awakenings.

The FSPort team is pleased to announce the release of the classic FS1 campaign Awakenings, ported to FS2.  We figured you guys deserve something to tide you over until Silent Threat: Reborn. ;)

Download links:

Awakenings Campaign (112 kb)

Awakenings Voice Files (18.5 mb)

Awakenings was originally created by Nathan "Dynamo" Hoying (website http://www.descent-freespace.com/awake/).  The ported version requires the Freespace Port v2.3 and is compatible with retail FS2.

Some caveats.  This is somewhat of an "informal" port, as it's missing the background graphics and the Orion nameplates.  It's also balanced somewhat on the hard side, an artifact of the FS1 engine and tables.  (We recommend playing on Easy.)  We were planning to hold off on the "official" release until v3.0 is out, but considering how long the missions have sat around in the internal (since summer 2003) we figured you'd rather have an informal release than wait another year or however long it takes for the "official" version. ;)

Happy playing, and Merry Christmas. :)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 10:07:03 pm by Galemp »

Offline Nuclear1

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

*download immediately to go jog more memories* :D
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Cool....(goes D/L).....oh and "Merry Chirsmas" everyone....now i know its bout 24 hrs early but........ ;7

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
erg, another poster wasting the . databank. :shaking:

i don't think i've played this campaign before... huh. must've missed it, i guess. anywhoo, *downloads* i'll play this after i kick the lucifer's ass in subspace. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List
Goob, you forgot to post info here  :D
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Selectah

• Unsuspended
Yargh... beat me to it... I wuz thinking about a Selectah Christmas Extravaganza, like releasing DOP and Awakenings on X-mas eve... You guys, I swear....

Merry christmas to those who celebrate it.

Cordially,
- Selectah

Selectah Fan Club Member

disregard this post

So I take it this is a classic?

Is it any good?
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
One of the best..... for FS1 tho.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Goob, you forgot to post info here  :D

I wasn't sure about that considering we didn't make the campaign ourselves.  And in any case, this isn't the final release of the campaign - that'll come after v3.0 is out. :)

Offline Skippy

• It's not a bug, it's a feature™
    • FS/FS2 Campaigns List

I wasn't sure about that considering we didn't make the campaign ourselves.  And in any case, this isn't the final release of the campaign - that'll come after v3.0 is out. :)

OK, thanks for the info, I'll wait :)
MACHINA TERRA | FS/FS2 Campaigns list
Specs: Core2 Duo 2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 160GB HD, gfg7700 (Asus G1 Laptop)
Q9550, 4GB DDR2, 2x500GB HD (RAID1), RHD4870, X48-DS6, Corsair 620HX (Desktop)

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Erm, any chance of getting those files from somewhere other than Fileplanet? It really doesn't want me to be able to download the voice files.
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Nuclear1

EDIT: Nevermind this post.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 10:00:11 am by nuclear1 »
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Are those voice files needed or are tehy optional?
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I know it isn't really your fault, but I did save all the convoy ships in the first mission. Omega 2's engines got knocked out, so I didn't credit for saving it, though it survived.  :sigh:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005, 09:39:21 pm by ngtm1r »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
This campaign's one of the greats, and it'll be nice to be able to play it all shiny-fied in FS2 without having to worry about switching out table files in FS1. :p

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I'm not impressed no more...very nearly every ship that would have beams in FS2 does, and EVERY ship that would have flaks has those too. Seeing the Hammer rip my wing apart with flak fire really, really kills the enjoyment.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Oh goodie, the best FS1 fan campaign has come to FS2_open :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
I'm not impressed no more...very nearly every ship that would have beams in FS2 does, and EVERY ship that would have flaks has those too. Seeing the Hammer rip my wing apart with flak fire really, really kills the enjoyment.

This is presumably because the ships are inheriting their default weapons from FS2.  Destiny of Peace has this issue too.  Does someone have a copy of the original FS1 ships.tbl?  It shouldn't be that hard to fix.
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I have silent threat ships and weapons tables that from i got from Spicious. I used them to build the FSwiki databases and specific weapon and ship pages (FS1 and FS2). Tables can be found from here: ships and weapons
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Thanks Wanderer!

This XMT file should clear up the weapons issues.  Basically, if the mission author doesn't specifically define what weapons a given ship has,  it takes the default weapons from ships.tbl.  The Port ships.tbl has FS2 weapons in the default slots.  All the XMT file has in it is the original default FS1 weapons.  Thus there should be no Subachs or beam turrets in FS1 missions once this is installed.  Stick in your FS1 tables directory.  Latest CVS build required.

http://www.fileh.com/NelsonAndBronte/FS1_defaults-shp.zip

If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.