Author Topic: More proof of evolution  (Read 195539 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
More proof of evolution
Artic fossil shows transitional form of fish moving from sea to land, including the formative armbones.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4879672.stm

[q]Fossil animals found in Arctic Canada provide a snapshot of fish evolving into land animals, scientists say.

The finds are giving researchers a fascinating insight into this key stage in the evolution of life on Earth.

US palaeontologists have published details of the fossil "missing links" in the prestigious journal Nature.

The 383 million-year-old specimens are described as crocodile-like animals with fins instead of limbs that probably lived in shallow water.
[/q]

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Re: More proof of evolution
It'll never be enough for the people who don't believe.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The fraking Vorlons could land tomorrow, show a home video of the past 500 million years and the fundies would scream about how it's all a lie and that they're servants of the devil.

If we're lucky, after that and learning about Scientology they'll deploy their planet killer and put us all out of our misery.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
oh, there is a transitional for between fish and amphibians, but there isn't a transition between fish and the this, and not one between fish and that, and not every single organism ever to have lived is not recorded into the fosil record
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Exactly, if mankind were to die out today, there'd be very little evidence left in 10 million years, possibly some satellites that haven't fallen out of orbit, in 65 millions upwards, who can say?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Exactly, if mankind were to die out today, there'd be very little evidence left in 10 million years, possibly some satellites that haven't fallen out of orbit, in 65 millions upwards, who can say?

I think, offhand, if you took every human being who lives in the world today, you'd statistically expect to have about 2 skeletons worth of bones preserved as fossils.  Fortunately we have enough of a fossil record, though, to prove that the mechanics for the fine-grained steps can happen (for example, there is a very good fossil record for equines, and macroevolution can also be shown by fruit fly breed), and the importance of this is in giving further proof towards the hypothesised steps of evolving into land dwellers from fish, i.e. it evidences that this transition occured.  Whereas the (creationist) alternative is that amphibians just popped into existence from nowhere.

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Having 2 and finding 2 are totally different.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Having 2 and finding 2 are totally different.

Exactly.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Problem is, as far as erosion is concerned, living on Earth is like living between 2 millstones, Fluidic, Tectonic, Abrasive, Freezing, Heating, you name it.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Keep in mind that the whole 'micro/macro' evolution thing is a false distinction to support certain sociopolitcal agendas. There is but one process going on.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Wild Fragaria

• Geek girl
oh, there is a transitional for between fish and amphibians, but there isn't a transition between fish and the this, and not one between fish and that, and not every single organism ever to have lived is not recorded into the fosil record

Don't understand what you're trying to say  :confused:

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Don't understand what you're trying to say  :confused:

That there's not a complete lineage of transitional forms, i.e. if fish is A, amphibian is C, and this is B, we don't have an AB or BC transitional form etc.  Not that, of course, we'd expect to have one given the natural scarcity of the fossil record.

Lawl.  You aren't even debating among yourselves.   :pimp:
"You tell me, Pilot.  I'm informed on a need-to-know basis."

CLBE! - Command Let Bosch Escape!

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
The fruit flies is a good example IMO, I remember they taught that in High School Biology. Go figure.

Found another article on this same thing:
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18734210-401,00.html

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Did you see the fish changing? I don't think so. Evolution didn't happen so shut up!
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Did you see the fish changing? I don't think so. Evolution didn't happen so shut up!
:lol:
-C

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
The fruit flies is a good example IMO, I remember they taught that in High School Biology. Go figure.

The fruit flies one can be unfortunately derided by creationists because 'it's just another kind of fruit fly'.  What they omit, of course, is that there are about distinct 15,000 species that are 'fruit flies', so you can actually show speciation with the experiments.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...

The fruit flies one can be unfortunately derided by creationists because 'it's just another kind of fruit fly'.  What they omit, of course, is that there are about distinct 15,000 species that are 'fruit flies', so you can actually show speciation with the experiments.

Yeah.
To be honest, creationism I don't really have all that much patience with. I'm yet to meet someone in person who believes in it, though I admit I don't go around asking. But if someone is going to simply ignore such a significant part of science without a proper plausable alternative, then good for them. They can go live in their ginger bread house and candy furniture because quite frankly. I don't give a ****. :)
I'd like to believe I could still be friends with someone who believes it, but it would be difficult for me to understand such logic.
/rant

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Yeah.
To be honest, creationism I don't really have all that much patience with. I'm yet to meet someone in person who believes in it, though I admit I don't go around asking. But if someone is going to simply ignore such a significant part of science without a proper plausable alternative, then good for them. They can go live in their ginger bread house and candy furniture because quite frankly. I don't give a ****. :)
I'd like to believe I could still be friends with someone who believes it, but it would be difficult for me to understand such logic.
/rant

I think in quite a few threads Kara shown pretty comprehensively that creationists can't even say what Intelligent Design is, so it's such a nonsensical idea it deserves ignorance.  Unfortunately, remaining quiet can be regarded as tacti acceptance, so we need to keep re-emphasising how idiotic ID and how it wilfully misinterprets, ignores or fabricates evidence depending on how best to attack evolution.  The problem is also that, sadly, it seems to be symptomatic of a general attack upon secular society and human scientific progress by fundamentalist churches, which does have the potential to be very dangerous to all of us.

Offline Grug

• From the ashes...
Dangerous as most things are these days.
I almost have a hatred towards all form of religeon to the troubles it has caused the world. But ultimately, that disgust is at humans due to my own beliefs. Vile creatures we are at times. :(

Hopefully one day we evolve into better beings. ;)