Author Topic: Capella story question  (Read 15761 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Re: Capella story question
I dunno, Mebbe, mebbe not <suggestive>
Some have more than one exit dont they, like a normal lagrange point...... :confused:

Nope.  Point-to-point.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Well whoop-de-frickin-doo.
 :sigh:
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

I dunno, Mebbe, mebbe not <suggestive>
Some have more than one exit dont they, like a normal lagrange point...... :confused:

Nope.  Point-to-point.

You sure? Quote from FS1: "There are dozens of star systems off of those nodes, and the Shivans will likely have to examine them all."
Given that about...40 star systems are on the GTVA Nodemap, and Admiral Wolf was talking about just a couple of jump nodes, this seems to say that at least some subspace tunnels have multiple exits.
It's moot anyway. You'd think that blowing up one entrance/exit would destabilize all of them.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
They blew up. A f***ing. Sun. Fear is a powerful motivator, and hence i'm thinking Command wouldn't have even waited for the surviving civilian ships to exit the node before they bloody collapsed it! There is no doubt in my mind the Security Council and Command ordered the Neried deployed...

...Of course, given the potential scientific benefits of having access to a freshly-formed Nebula, as well as the economic prospects a nigh-on infinite supply Nebular gasses would hold, it wouldn't surprise me if a group, possibly the GTVI or some such, faked the deployment and then kept the site, and the still-open node, under lockdown to any non-GTVI personnel. Mmmm, I love the smell of conspiracy in the morning. :)

I guess there was no point in waiting, as any civilian ship there would be doomed anyway. They would have probably waited for the ones already in subspace though, considering Petrarch's comment that "command is committed to getting every last Terran out of the system" (I won't get into why he didn't include Vasudans though, probably used to work for the NTF or something :p).

Fear is certainly a powerful motivator for an individual, but for the whole Security Council organization? It's a good thing they have the GTVI to keep their heads for them. :D

Good point. GTVA didn't really know what the hell shivans are capable of. As statet earlier, they blew up a ****ing star! How could they know what would start coming trought the node next? Even without the juggernauts, I doubt GTVA fleet would have been able to stop the shivans after Capella. You just can't take that kind of chances when there are two civilizations at stake. No matter how much pink swirling smoke you could get by leaving the node open.

No one in GTVA really knew what the hell was going on when Capella blew up. But they knew that blowing up the node was their only effective way of stopping the shivans.

Not exactly, considering that they are known to be capable of making jumps without nodes. Although I think if the Shivans can indeed move around in the system after the explosion, then it makes sense to close off the node. A "temporary measure" is better than nothing. The question was really whether the Shivans could do that even if they wanted to, but I think the answer to that could be in the affirmative if that nebula density thing is taken into account.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
They would have probably waited for the ones already in subspace though, considering Petrarch's comment that "command is committed to getting every last Terran out of the system" (I won't get into why he didn't include Vasudans though, probably used to work for the NTF or something :p).

No vasudan civilians in the system most likely.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
What's with the Vasudan civvy freighters escaping the system in the last mission then? You know, the ones carrying diaries

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Maybe they're military diaries :D

Offline Nuclear1

Command deployed the GTD Nereid to collapse the Vega-Capella node at the end of the campaign. By the time it enters the node, the final mission was over at least two minutes ago. However, in the ending Petrarch says that they sealed off the system anyway. So what I'm wondering is, why? What was the point of continuing with that plan when the supernova explosion had quite obviously vaporized everything near the node and would span the entire system within minutes?

My guess would be that it was to make damned sure.

What's with the Vasudan civvy freighters escaping the system in the last mission then? You know, the ones carrying diaries

The journal in that cargo container is a Red Faction reference, actually.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
And descent...

unless there's a Dravis in Red Faction :nervous:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The leftover gases would probably be super hot for thousands of years and no ship could go through there anyway.

Except spreading a solar mass across a system (or several light years) gives very low density, so the gas can be as hot as it wants and it's not going to mean ****.  Some of the nebulae in FS2 were quite energetic (lightning bolts and all) and ships weren't melting left and right.

But those nebulae were millions of years old. This one is fresh and VERY hot. It takes VERY MUCH time for it to expand to the size of the older ones and to reah such low density.
NOTHING in a system survives a supernova....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The final cutscene shows us that the Deimos and Moloch have the ability to survive the initial blast wave from a super-nova

The ships were fried and left as floating, useless hulks. (hard to belive that the crew survived either.. the temperature inside the ships)
And then came the second wave....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
But those nebulae were millions of years old. This one is fresh and VERY hot. It takes VERY MUCH time for it to expand to the size of the older ones and to reah such low density.
NOTHING in a system survives a supernova....

well that's what I originally thought, so I don't know. Is anyone here actually knowledgable about supernovas and could clear this up?

And descent...

I wonder what he writes in his diary.

"It is not for me to dwell on the mistakes of others, but to correct them."
"Poor material defender!"

:rolleyes:

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
one thing i know, subspace nodes are point to point. CBANIM's show it as that, and the missions that take place inside of nodes are like that.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Plus if they're not point-to-point The King's Gambit becomes rather ridiculous.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I say again:

Admiral Wolf: "There are dozens of star systems off of those nodes, and the Shivans would likely have to examine them all..."
And descent...

Didn't Dravis die, though? I know he does in the books, didn't ever finish D3. And Red Faction was supposedly after that, and was originally titled "Descent 4".

The final cutscene shows us that the Deimos and Moloch have the ability to survive the initial blast wave from a super-nova

That wasn't a blast wave that was a heat wave. There's a signifcant difference.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Didn't Dravis die, though? I know he does in the books, didn't ever finish D3. And Red Faction was supposedly after that, and was originally titled "Descent 4".

There are Descent books? :eek:

Yeah, he gets pumped with guidebot flares at the end of D3.

Yeah there are a trilogy, based on the games but with a much better story. They are by author Peter Telep.

And Dravis dies the same way in the books BTW.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
There are dozens of star systems off of those nodes just means that there's a couple of systems with more than one node in it which happens all the time in fs
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
well that's what I originally thought, so I don't know. Is anyone here actually knowledgable about supernovas and could clear this up?

I did actually submit a question along those lines to Ask An Astronomer a while back. The answer I got was that the nebula would remain hot for hundreds if not thousands of years. Unfortunately I didn't get much more info than that.

Maybe someone should submit the question again in a bit more detail :)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
should have asked the astronomer on the rate of expansion of the nebula

SMBFD