Author Topic: Re: CVS Builds  (Read 64180 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
In both logs it's looking for homesick", with the double quote on the end.  That's why it's not finding homesick at least.  If you are using a mod.ini for that (or just the launcher) make sure it doesn't have that extra ".

Not sure about the bmpman error but that Assert() is probably coming from bm_is_compressed() so something is strange there if that's the case, those problems were supposed to be fixed already.  If it keeps happening then create an empty debug_filter.cfg file in the same directory as the game binary and try a debug build again.  When you get that same Assert() post the log since it will have extra bmpman debugging info.

The Herc model in the current 3.6.8 set does spit out warnings but that was fixed and should be fine in the final 3.6.8 set that WMCoolmon puts out.

:) Hi there it's me again, finaly got the display weapons working thx Wanderer. another question again for
u guys, Engine Glows and thruster effects, it seems you get to see engine glows only at a certain angle in external view. I was going through the WIKI and there is a portion there that say's "Thruster Effects" do I have to define what bitmap to use or thruster radius in my ship tables ? I used to define thruster size and length for the model in Modelview, is this being overriden now by the new set of lines for thruster effects mentioned in the WIKI ? Thx.
PC Specs
=======
AMD FX 6300 6
Core  running @ 4.3 Ghz
Windows 10 64 bit
24 Gb DDR3 memory
750 Watts Thermaltake PSU
AMD R7 370  Graphics
Corsair Air 240
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I am Death Incarnate :mad2:
Sorry but.......You have a focus of a shotgun :P

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
The lines about thrusters in ships.tbl are related to general species information (species_defs.tbl) and act as an override for the general species thruster information. All three species, Terran, Vasudan, Shivan, have different thruster effects and with this optional feature you can alter the used bitmaps from the general scheme the species use. AFAIK it does not override any data found from .pof file (Modelview). In .pof data data you can alter the diameter of the thruster effect.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

:) Hi there it's me again, finaly got the display weapons working thx Wanderer. another question again for
u guys, Engine Glows and thruster effects, it seems you get to see engine glows only at a certain angle in external view. I was going through the WIKI and there is a portion there that say's "Thruster Effects" do I have to define what bitmap to use or thruster radius in my ship tables ? I used to define thruster size and length for the model in Modelview, is this being overriden now by the new set of lines for thruster effects mentioned in the WIKI ? Thx.

I second that. Since the species stuff has been worked over all thrustertrails (not the thrusterglows) are gone. It has been mentioned several times in this and other threads but never (or i havn´t found it yet) been commented by anyone. Is the missing of the trails intended or is it a bug? Will it be worked over? Does anybody see the trails since (let´s say) 1126? Am i the only one interested in this?

So many questions and nobody answers :(

;) ;) ;)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Is the missing of the trails intended or is it a bug? Will it be worked over? Does anybody see the trails since (let´s say) 1126? Am i the only one interested in this?
I think it was fixed (I worked on it after the species change over) but then broke again, at least in part.  It's on my list of things to fix this week, so it won't stay broken for much longer.

I second that. Since the species stuff has been worked over all thrustertrails (not the thrusterglows) are gone. It has been mentioned several times in this and other threads but never (or i havn´t found it yet) been commented by anyone. Is the missing of the trails intended or is it a bug? Will it be worked over? Does anybody see the trails since (let´s say) 1126? Am i the only one interested in this?

So many questions and nobody answers :(

;) ;) ;)

Same exact problem for me finally some other people mentioned it which is good (well not good, but for me it is at least)

I was starting to wonder if it was just me with the issue.  It really can get kinda ugly with it being like it is now.
how do i shot gun???

Offline Fenrir

• ?
Oh, good. Other people have it too. I was beginning to think I was the only one when my post went completely ignored.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Engine glows are working for me, but not the trails.
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Well the thruster problem was two-fold it appears:

1) The defaults for secondary and tertiary glow entries for each species weren't added back to the default table (built in) after they got removed.  That brings up the point of adding TBM support to species_defs, but that's something to worry about later.  That was the main problem for both the secondary and tertiary glows, although the second problem also affected some of the images...

2) In the 3.6.8 MediaVPs (at least the version I downloaded) there are TGA and PCX versions of the various thruster glows but the TGA versions appear blank, just being a transparency layer.  The PCX versions still have the real thruster graphic though so removing the TGA versions got the primary thruster glows working again for me.

And that was it, they are working perfectly again for me know.  The minor code fix will go into CVS whenever the server comes back up but the MediaVP issue is something that WMCoolmon will have to check on.

Offline WMCoolmon

That's...bizarre. Is this one of the files you're talking about? It shows fine for me, and I don't remember changing it since the first few VPs.

I'll try to get the current set uploaded as soon as warpcore is back up...they're pretty much bugfixed aside from a Stealth fighter map thing, maybe.

[attachment deleted by admin]
-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
That's...bizarre. Is this one of the files you're talking about? It shows fine for me, and I don't remember changing it since the first few VPs
Yep, that's one of them.  It's just blank for me so I'm not sure what the deal is.  I don't remember this being a problem before either.  I opened it up in a hexeditor just now and I can tell that there is image data there but GIMP doesn't show it, nor does any other graphics utility I've tried so far on Linux or OS X.

Offline WMCoolmon

Well, I have no clue what the problem was. I ran into the same problem with GIMP, but found that simply resaving the files as TGA with IrfanView made them GIMP-readable. So I batch converted the whole lot from TGA to TGA with IrfanView, loaded a couple in the GIMP, and it looks like that fixed it. When I copied the files over it looked like the converted files were slightly smaller than the originals, so maybe there was some kind of alpha channel getting involved.

I've attached the same file so you can try it out under Linux.

-C

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
New one works great.  I checked it out and the other one is a newer TGA format so I'll have to add support for this to the TGA loader.  No sure why GIMP, eog, and OS X Preview didn't like it though.  :wtf:

Edit:  Bah, I quit.  Trying to keep all of that GIMP ml discussion straight while reading was a bit too much.  :shaking:

Although the current TGA loader doesn't properly handle the newer TGA format it's nothing all that terrible and is easy to fix.  That's not the problem here though, the problem images have their alpha pre-multiplied but our TGA loader assumes that it's not.  I'm not sure how to detect it either since no other image format description info is contained in the files, and guessing isn't a valid option (unfortunately).  I don't think that pre-multiplied alpha will work in our case anyway, these images (as used by the engine) use intensity as the alpha (ALPHABLEND_FILTER) so unless someone else comes up with a bright idea or some insights here I'm ready to just chalk up the images as invalid for use with FS2_Open.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2005, 11:05:26 pm by taylor »

Offline Murderous Species

• Immortal
Sorry to bother your minds, but:
Which is the ideal build for the MediaVPs 3.6.8?
And what happens to the download links?
"Expecting a good plot from a certain genre of games, is expecting intelligence from the caracters it presents"- Myself
"Pain is an illusion of the body; fear, an illusion of the mind"- Warhammer 40.000: Dawn of War
"What is it, Alpha 1... CHICKEN?"
"Prepare ship for LUDICROUS SPEED"
"One fairy contains A LOT of vitamins and minerals; to the point we eat them on-sight; they also offer A LOT of resistance when you don't cook them!"
ALICE!!!!!

Offline WMCoolmon

One of the newest CVS builds (anything after the date of the initial release is a good bet. :p)

Warpcore is down right now, so the links for the VPs are broken.
-C

Offline redmenace

Umm use the game-warden back up is it is ok with MathewPapa
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

This is more a request than a question, but would be possible if someone can post the Bitmaps that are used for the Secondary and Tertiary ThrustersAni ?. I can guess some Bitmaps, but some not...and since the TBL was stored internally I can't copy it to a species_def.tbl

(I believe terran is like this, but I don't have any clue about the other 2 species):

$Species_Name: Terran
   +Debris_Texture: debris01a
   +Shield_Hit_ani: shieldhit01a
$ThrustAnims:
   +Pri_Normal:   thruster01
   +Pri_Afterburn:   thruster01a
   +Sec_Normal:   thruster02-01
   +Sec_Afterburn:   thruster02-01a
   +Ter_Normal:   thruster03-01
   +Ter_Afterburn:   thruster03-01a
$ThrustGlows:
   +Normal:   thrusterglow01
   +Afterburn:   thrusterglow01a

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
You just increase the bitmap number, so Vasudan Pri_Normal is thruster02 and Ter_Normal is thruster03-02 with Shivan being thruster03 and thruster03-03 for the same entries.  It works that way for both $ThrustAnims and $ThrustGlows.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Decided to go with XMT support for species_defs rather than make a change to the default species table, since Goober would undoubtedly be sending me a sternly worded e-mail about such an action. ;)

The species_defs modular tables are "*-sdf.tbm" and when a build finally comes out that supports them here is a tbm with the missing entries in it...

Thanks again taylor