Author Topic: Inferno: Alliance Released!  (Read 120788 times)

Offline Dysko

Re: Inferno: Alliance Released!
The media vps might be overriding our effects
But I used a mod.ini which used the "mediavps" folder! :nervous:
And it worked very well, apart from the standard "FreeSpace SCP" preloading screen showing up instead of the INF:A one.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
The media vps might be overriding our effects

I try what you said earlier, and no result. The ani for explosion is still varying. >_<

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You shouldnt be using the mediavps with INFA, they may screw a few things up.

Offline Dysko

You shouldnt be using the mediavps with INFA, they may screw a few things up.
On my PC, they don't screw anything (only the preloading screen, as in the post above).

Offline Centrixo

Darth is correct, i tried it and its fine.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
It's still not recommended

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft
I can confirm that using only the mediaVP's will cause Inf:A to crash, every single time. 

And nice to hear the Beta Mainhall track in the mainhall screen!   :yes:  Works out pretty nice!

I can unconfirm your confirmation, Nix, as I use my medias with no problems whatsoever.

Ditto about betamainhall!
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Kaboodles

• Kill the meat. Save the metal.
I replaced the INF_Effects vp with mv_effects and the patch because I didn't like the explosions and have had no problems so far.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Simply don't use the mediavps.

Anyway,something strange happens when I use FRED.I wanted to add INF:A ships in Steadfast(replacing some Lokis and Claymores with Angels,for example.I hope the game won't crash due to some problems...)but when I open FRED I see only the INF:A shiplist!

-mod Steadfast_Episode_One,INFA,INFR1,mediavps

It should be ok. INF:A entries have been added to Steadfast ones in the tbl. FRED should show up a normal Inferno R1 shiplist with the changes I made...what's wrong?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Dysko

Anyway,something strange happens when I use FRED.I wanted to add INF:A ships in Steadfast(replacing some Lokis and Claymores with Angels,for example.I hope the game won't crash due to some problems...)but when I open FRED I see only the INF:A shiplist!

-mod Steadfast_Episode_One,INFA,INFR1,mediavps

It should be ok. INF:A entries have been added to Steadfast ones in the tbl. FRED should show up a normal Inferno R1 shiplist with the changes I made...what's wrong?
It happened to me too. Simply extract Steady's tables to the data/tables folder.

Bloody hell !!!

---- alarm ringing ---- rushing to download stations ----
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wagh'nagl fhtagn.
Ïa ! Ïa ! Cthulhu fhtagn ! Cthulhu fhtagn !

Isn't it time for this to get a highlight?  Anyone?  Admins?
"Wouldn't it be so wonderful if everything were meaningless?
But everything is so meaningful, and most everything turns to ****.
Rejoice."
-David Bazan

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Our effects are either SCP effects or made by DaBrain and like all INF files are installed directly in the data directory as your not able to use the media vps on a standalone mod. There are no VPs for the core files of the INF mod.

I just installed the original Inferno. I have a CD retail install of FS2, updated to SCP. Are these files correct and up to date?

Sorry but I'm confused between all the different websites and threads, etc.

Thanks,

Huggybaby

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Huggybaby: Yeah your in the wrong thread but those files look right to me.

High Max: Extract what you want from the mediavps and use a mod directory to overwrite the core data.

Offline neoterran

I replaced the INF_Effects vp with mv_effects and the patch because I didn't like the explosions and have had no problems so far.

I agree. I can't fathom why the Inferno team changed the SCP explosion effect at all. Especially when the explosions are of lesser quality than the SCP. I can only pray that they don't integrate the explosion effects into the main INF SCP core file when released. If they do, we may not be able to overwrite the effects when playing INF SCP. So it is best to keep the effects as a separate file like they did in INFA to give us the option of using the SCP effects for INF SCP for those of us who like the SCP effects better. Who made these explosion effects? I don't think Woo did. Will the file format be the same in which the effects are not in the core file and have their own VP like in INFA, Woo? I hope so. :eek2:

I don't think they're of lesser quality. Actually they're closer to how explosions in space look where there is no oxygen to feed them and you certainly wouldn't get the silly atmopshere fire explosions you see in regular freespace 2 scp EVER in real life. I actually like the puff of green smoke at the end there.

As far as not being able to overwrite effects, that's just silly. As long as you have a vp editor and spent a little time understanding how things work, you can modify any released campaign to look how you want. Laziness, is not an option here.
Official Taylor Fan Club Member.
Chief Grognard.
"How much code could a coder code if a coder could code code?"

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I think you've got something missing in the Apollo. Look at the attached screenshot. It's just the 1st mission.

I have all five vps (1_HTL.vp, 2_INF_Core.vp, 2_INF_Effects.vp, INF_Alliance.vp and Warble_FS1OGG.vp), I've installed them in its own folder with no reference to media vps folder in MOD.INI, I'm running Taylor's latest build (Hoopla ie 3rd version of RC7.9x) and I've started the mod with a new pilot.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 22, 2006, 03:43:08 pm by ARSPR »
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
No nothings missing there, I tried to stop the Apollo thrusters from going through the top of the ship. There seems to be a minimum size limit for when the engines are on.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
You'd make a mod directoy called override for example and put your effects.vp there, then you turn it on and off at will via the launcher. If that doesn't work you extract the effects.vp into override\data\effects and that will load before the main data files.