Author Topic: Aliens!  (Read 4649 times)

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Game -> Movie
Movie -> Game
These adaptions never seem to work out all that well.  IMO anyway.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Those are good news. :nod:

@Swantz: I agree. Especially when the movies have been going downhilll recently (AVP = BLECH!  :ick:).

I have seen a good book trilogy get adapted from a game once, though. The Descent books. Excellent writing, and the plot expanded a lot.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
Game -> Movie
Movie -> Game

Meh, some are, some aren't.

I would look forward to playing them, I rather enjoyed AvP. And to my shame I quite like the Alien Trilogy when it came out on the Sega Saturn! (Another Guilty gaming pleasure  :drevil: )
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Game -> Movie
Movie -> Game

Well, look at KoToR1 and even 2 (excluding the bit where Lucasarts forced Obsidian to release the unfinished ending of KoToR2 for christmas, ruining an otherwise magnificent game); it's a 'movie' game, yet a great one.

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
I like Aliens.
I am a revolutionary.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions

Aliens like you ;)

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The Aliens vs. Predator series turned out quite well (The games, not the movie - although I enjoyed that a bit, once I shut down my brain). AVP2 is a blast to play on a LAN.

Not too confident in Gearbox, but Obsidian seems to be quite the right team for the job :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2006, 06:33:55 pm by Unknown Target »

I'm not sure what I think about it anymore.  I'm a huge aliens fan, but all the same, an Aliens RPG could turn out very badly.

The big problem is lack of variety.  Facehuggers, chestbursters, drones, queen.  You ain't got too much to work with in terms of aliens.  Which suggests to me they're gonna lean very heavily on the whole 'absorb traits from hosts' super-magical abilities from A3.  And I really don't want to be fighting random encounters against 2 squid aliens and a catlien.  I'm not worried they'll **** all over canon, since Fox does that anyway, just that we're gonna see some really lame ass **** in a desperate attempt to get a decent variety of enemies.  That, or the aliens will just be a backdrop, and most of the combat will be human vs. human.

I'd really rather they were doing System Shock, aliens style, but that ain't happening.

In some of the later Aliens books (not the movie novelizations) they have other aliens to contend with... a bunch of flying things not at all related to the Xenomorphs we know, but powerful enough in their own right to destroy three aerospace fighters in a flash. They live on one of the Aliens' homeworlds.

There was also the "mother nest", the original nest of the entire race, that they see at one point. Queen-sized drones, and a gigantic queen with telepathic abilities. *shudders* :nervous:
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Eh....the EU plays even faster and looser with the Aliens Universe that fox itself does.  I hope it's not gonna be too dependent on that.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com

Anyway, I hope that the main focus is on the corporate bickering/backstabbing with the Aliens themselves being a backdrop and end-threat.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/6171/040809yo0.jpg

Anyway, I hope that the main focus is on the corporate bickering/backstabbing with the Aliens themselves being a backdrop and end-threat.

After that, death is a bless.

(Removed the image tags - no need to quote the same image twice here:// Kalfireth)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2006, 08:47:00 am by Kalfireth »

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I think the trouble is that depending on which part of the Aliens saga you go on - the Alien creature on its own is either the most dangerous thing in your life (Alien / Alien 3) or just a part of a massive wave that may eventually overwhelm your firepower (Aliens).

In the first instance, it's hard to drag out that tension in a computer game. Sure it's worrying at first to see your team mates dying and leaving you on your own but sooner or later you'll get bored of "oh no, it could be round the corner.. but it's not". If it's the option you're going with then eventually battering waves and waves of aliens will grow tedious and samey. The only way I can think of to make that really a "frightening" experience is if ammunition is a rare thing indeed and you're fighting to save bullets as well as your life.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Except I hate those sorts of games, because most all of them seem to fall back on that "we're not gonna give you any guns- LOLZ!" formula, where literally every bullet counts (in some instances it's seemed to me that the developers actually calculated how many rounds they'd give you vs. how many enemies appear).

It'd be nice if they interspersed "OMG MY GUNZ ARE GONE!" moments with "Yes! I finally found a horde of shotgun rounds!"

Offline Maxwell

Aliens, as per the movies, is not exactly good fodder for an rpg.  FPS certainly, but a role playing game needs more than ducking in corners and counting bullets to entertain players these days.
I'd fear whats going to be made will be very flat compared to whats on the market.

The only way I see them hammering this out is to play heavily off the aliens back story (human vs human) and keep the aliens out of the main action. If its canon, humanity would most likely be chewed to pieces anyway.

Offline Centrixo

alien had 4 good films. i played a dos version of thier game a while back and recently, and ive got to say its no where near as good as system shock 2. atleast in system shock 2 you get the erriyness of suicide bots on engineering, hybrids in med/sci, asssassins in deck 5, its all fun and something that just hasnt been recreated since ss2. not even quake 4!. it would be a good idea to not spend the money on something that isnt going to be good.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Sarafan

• No Title
Another alien FPS is good, AvP 2 was good and had a decent albeit short story, the first one was really scary too, now an aliens RPG, it may be something interesting depending on the way they do the Aliens, I think thats the only problem there would be to it, besides there already was an old Aliens RPG if I'm not mistaken too.

Offline Roanoke

Th books also included an Aliens "civil war" bewteen different colonies. That was pretty cool.