Poll

Which did -YOU- prefer blowing up capital ships with?

GTB Ursa
13 (50%)
GTB Zeus
1 (3.8%)
GTB Artemis D.H
0 (0%)
GVB Sekhmet
5 (19.2%)
GTB Medusa
2 (7.7%)
GVB Bahka
1 (3.8%)
GTB Boanerges
4 (15.4%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Author Topic: Your favorite bomber  (Read 23549 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
there a several different ways you can win the gautlet. suicidal tactics, long ranged attack, hit'n'run, hide and seek.
lol not sure about hide and seek with a an ursa.

Is there sufficient space in my signature for this?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

there a several different ways you can win the gautlet. suicidal tactics, long ranged attack, hit'n'run, hide and seek.
lol not sure about hide and seek with a an ursa.

No, the STV Gauntlet, not the regular gauntlets. But for STV i usually use Sehkmet, just because it handles a bit better. Ursa I use to snipe in missions like The Cold Sword.

The STV Gauntlet is Shivan Terran and Vasudan gauntlets all in one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 11:28:12 am by [DW]-Hunter »

Offline Centrixo

and uh... where may i find this gaunlet?  ;7
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Maybe if your on EASY it will be that way, but if you play the game at a harder dificulty, the ursa just flat out sucks balls, if you want to do the job right, you need a boanerges.

I'm going to quote Hippo's excellent post on the subject:

Also, the Boag is no more manuverable than the ursa, merely has 10m/s on it, which actually makes it worse for dogfights as its turning radius is greatly increased. The Ursa has a net missile storage of 240, same as the Boag (though less evenly distributed than the Ursa), has a turret, and the Ursa has 70% more armor plus a second primary bank (and 2.5x gunpoints). Ursa wins.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
The Ursa still sucks compared to the Sekhmet.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Ursa has a net missile storage of 240, same as the Boag (though less evenly distributed than the Ursa)

This is a bit misleading, as the Boanerges can carry more bombs than the Ursa, and in the case of the Helios, also unload all of them faster due to the way FS2 rounds up the capacities.

If you did not hear me before goober, you cant lag bomb with 1 helio in each bank :P

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Effectively cheating, anyway.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

If you did not hear me before goober, you cant lag bomb with 1 helio in each bank :P

what does 'lag bomb' mean ?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator

That's true, but not exactly what I was referring to. :p Even if you leave lagbombing aside, it still takes five launches to fire them all instead of six for the Ursa.

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
I prefer the GTB "Flying Brick" Ursa. I don't know what you guys are talking about for playing on anything but easy mode... I always fly the Ursa when I get a chance... I usually play on Insane. Usually its two banks of Cyclopse and one bank of Tempest. Setup with Prometheus S and Subach HL-7 (if you can get the PromS, that is). 3xPrometheus 2xSubach. Load up and have fun!

The point is if you can't shake the Shivans, you're a damn-bad pilot!  :lol: usually you can beat the shivans by loading all power to shields and just being a turret. The shivans won't continue moving when they're at a shooting spot... they will start to move when you turn to face them. Unload on them with tempests and your guns... kill em 1 by 1 or more. Tempests work well. They don't start to move until after you face them. Plus, the Kayser turret is watch in a dogfight... I have taken down several Ulysses by that turret. True, they fly circles around me, though the turret is awesome.

The other thing to do in the mission against the Ravana is to boost power to engines and get to the Vasudan corvette. You can get there with about 60% hull on Insane if you're good. From there, let the corvette slice-and-dice the fighters, then hit the Ravana with all you got!

The biggest thing is to run at 30 m/s when bombing... a large range of speeds is always good; never stop. Take the damage for getting your target, full speed, hit burners, launch when youre near top speed, and pull up. Or, follow the torpedo in! I have alot of fun following torpedos in... there's a good reason you have a strong hull, strong shields, strong guns, strong turret, big banks, and a damn-big ship...

"Be the flak-screen-screen you always wanted to be! Fly the Ursa!"

You can get 95% hits if you fly within 200m of the target and launch easily.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

I'm going to quote Hippo's excellent post on the subject:

Also, the Boag is no more manuverable than the ursa, merely has 10m/s on it, which actually makes it worse for dogfights as its turning radius is greatly increased. The Ursa has a net missile storage of 240, same as the Boag (though less evenly distributed than the Ursa), has a turret, and the Ursa has 70% more armor plus a second primary bank (and 2.5x gunpoints). Ursa wins.

The ursa is a -MUCH- larger target , compared to the Boanerges. The size of your ship certainly counts for something. Thats why the Herc mk II wins over in many a dogfight...it has a very thin target profile for an assault fighter. As far as bombers go, the Boanerges is very sleek for a heavy bomber.

The ursa is a -MUCH- larger target , compared to the Boanerges. The size of your ship certainly counts for something. Thats why the Herc mk II wins over in many a dogfight...it has a very thin target profile for an assault fighter. As far as bombers go, the Boanerges is very sleek for a heavy bomber.

for sure, the boa definitly is a smaller target, also holds more bombs on top of that, which means less rearming, and it takes about 2 minutes to rearm because it has to get to you, load u up and then you have to wait 10 seconds to be able to fire after its done. So what it comes to is turret gives the ursa THAT advantage, while the boa gets a smaller profile and more capasity, and the sehkmet gets a plus for manuverability, but lacks a turret, smallness and not as big of capasity as the boa, medusa gets a plus for slightly for better speed, slightly better manuverability i think (i could be wrong) but still, cant carry helios nor is the bomb capasity as good as the ursa, sehkmet or boa.

offtopic : as far as dogfighting goes, the erinyes is the fighter of choice for dogfights in multiplayer.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 06:43:24 am by [DW]-Hunter »

Offline Bob-san

• Wishes he was cool
  • It's 5 minutes to midnight.
If I ever get to play multiplayer... I'm going to try to dogfight in an ursa! Load up a bank of Trebs, a bank of tornados, and a bank of tempests... a kayser and PromS should be fun too. I'd laugh cause I'd be the biggest target around.
NGTM-1R: Currently considering spending the rest of the day in bed cuddling.
GTSVA: With who...?
Nuke: chewbacca?
Bob-san: The Rancor.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Other than the turret, can it even equip Kaysers?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Other than the turret, can it even equip Kaysers?
No bomber that I know of can

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
The Boanerges can. I suppose the Osiris can too, but it's a piece of junk.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Nope.

If I ever get to play multiplayer... I'm going to try to dogfight in an ursa! Load up a bank of Trebs, a bank of tornados, and a bank of tempests... a kayser and PromS should be fun too. I'd laugh cause I'd be the biggest target around.

You cant use trebs in a dogfight, they arent supplied, neither in TvT, the same goes for harpoons. But Tornados and Tempests ARE supplied.

Offline Centrixo

besides trying to fire a treb in a dog fight wont work anyhow, unless there atleast 800 away from your cockpit and are flying straight. the treb's turning circle is rubbish.
Would you like to have a piece of duct tape shoved up your arse? - 'Duct Tape man', Derelict.

"You never know what your going to find until you take a look" - Snipes, Fs2.

Terwin Castronenves:"Centrixo, your car is slow, bye bye" *zoom*.
Centrixo:*sigh!* Damn!.