Author Topic: Wing Commander Arena  (Read 16590 times)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Just watched that video again, is it me or does the player seem to take more damage in those scenes from bouncing off of stuff than anything else?
What's funny is how every in-game demo is like that. Watch the demos from the Descent games and the devs don't last more than two minutes.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The CIC has a full-body pic of the new Midway...wtf? It looks...evil.

EDIT: And reading about people's thoughts on it in the CIC...creepy how much they're falling for this game. And one of LOAF's comments was interesting...

Originally Posted by XXXXX
I read that and had high hopes. I was expecting WC1 using the prophecy engine, or better. I was not expecting Zaxxon controls on a game that would play on a super nintendo.

--------
That's just the thing, this is far above and beyond anything that would be possible on the Super Nintendo. If that's what you really think, you're missing a huge part of what Wing Commander Arena is. All the high definition screenshots, positive first-hand previews, multiplayer details and such should make this apparent. This video interview/transcript we posted today does a good job of starting to get into this. What few screenshots and videos are available now also should give you a good idea of all the research EA did to get things right in a Wing Commander sense.
--------

Oh my god! It's better than what could have been done on the Super Nintendo! Bow down and praise! :p
On top of that...it looks like they missed a huge chunk of research. Namely that Wing Commander was, you know, 3D.

NOTE: This comment was not supposed to turn this thread into a LOAF-bashing-fest. I was just pointing out something that I found was funny.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 06:56:42 pm by Unknown Target »

Offline CatBomb

NOTE: This comment was not supposed to turn this thread into a LOAF-bashing-fest. I was just pointing out something that I found was funny.
It's not especially funny, because the comment is clearly replying to a post talking about the Super Nintendo... and it wasn't written by loaf: http://www.crius.net/zone/showpost.php?p=326900&postcount=6

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Ah, my bad. I saw LOAF's name nearby and my brain fused the two posts :p

Still, 'tis a funny comment :p If you look, you'll see that I included the originally quoted post.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I'm in two minds about it to be honest....

If it does well, then it could lead to one of two things, it could either re-open the doors of interest in Space Combat Sims, or it could forever brand them as a kind of Unreal Tournament in semi-2D.

I really don't like the idea of power-ups. That's way too arcadey for me to take it seriously, all it needs now is a 'Super!!!!' in huge Comic-Font flashing red letters when you collect them all.

'Must save Tiger Claw!'
'Tiger Claw in Safe Hands'

But then, on a more serious note, there are very few names that could carry Space Sims back out into the market, I would say the two most powerful of those names are Star-Wars and Wing Commander (though, admittedly, the gulf between them is massive).

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
People keep saying that space sims are dead, but man, I keep seeing two or three of them released each year, and those are the major ones...
And anyway, as a knock-off "arcade" title, I think that any hope of it bringing the space sim genre back in any way at all (or even be noticed) is just wishful thinking.

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The thing is though, they are getting released, but NOT being carried out into the market, they are an area of games you have to search for.

As an example, I bought City Life the other day, which is more or less Sim City for 2007. I haven't seen a Space Combat sim in just about any shop for years. There's actually more demand for City Simulators than Space Combat Simulators, at least in the eyes of the market.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
I read that and had high hopes. I was expecting WC1 using the prophecy engine, or better.
Wing Commander 1, 2, 3, or 4 with Prophecy's graphics would look awesome.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
The CIC frontpage and forums are turning into a giant XBOX-Live advertising machine. They're giving Deepblue a run for his money ;)

It's sad and amusing at the same time...
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Sphynx

I read that and had high hopes. I was expecting WC1 using the prophecy engine, or better.
Wing Commander 1, 2, 3, or 4 with Prophecy's graphics would look awesome.

Or with Saga's engine.... Have you played Saga's WC3 Tech Demo release yet? It really made me hope that there will be some effort to recreate all of the WC missions in the engine. (Not trying to toot our own horn or anything, just sharing a personal reaction).
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
You mean the FSO engine? :p

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Just read through CIC, first time I've been there in about 4 years....

Having read the moderators attitude to anyone who doesn't agree whole-heartedly with their own, I'm glad I've been away for so long....

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I'd love to get the WC1 models made by the guy doing the WC: Pioneer game and make versions compatible with FSO, and doing it as a WC1 game.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
If it does well, then it could lead to one of two things, it could either re-open the doors of interest in Space Combat Sims, or it could forever brand them as a kind of Unreal Tournament in semi-2D.

It's not a space sim. So if it does well, EA will either don't care, cause it's just an XBLA tile, or try to use more of it's IPs to create arcade games.

The CIC frontpage and forums are turning into a giant XBOX-Live advertising machine. They're giving Deepblue a run for his money ;)

Yeah, the forum never really interested me, but the news were ok. I took a look there a few times in a year.
Now the news aren't news anymore, but simple ads for XBLA, Arena and EA.

Saga was way more interesting for WC fans, but disappeared from the CIC news pretty quickly... :(
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline CatBomb

I just checked the front page at wcnews and I see one Xbox Live Arcade news post.  I see one about Standoff, one about the HW2 mod, one about paper models, one about a WC Facebook group, one about a FiringSquad article, one about the previous poll, one about an unreleased Origin game, and one about Fatman's WC music CD.

Doesn't look so bad to me.

You should have checked earlier then... UGH so much EA kissups.... must.... recover...... sanity.....
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I was mostly referring to the numerous "News" on the frontpage in the recent weeks, that focused on the site admins playing XBOX games via XB Live, which struck as somewhat strange on a WC themed site.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Offline Sphynx

You mean the FSO engine? :p

Yes, of course. Just a slip of the tongue. FSO looks good wearing Wing Commander, Babylon 5, Battlestar Galactica, even Starfox! It is very versitile. :) Still, if you haven't tried our WC3 mission tech demo, go give it a shot. :)
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline CatBomb

So you're angry because the Wing Commander website posted about... the new Wing Commander game? That's kind of strange.

Didn't EA start the site years ago? This bitterness here seems extreme. I lurk at their forums, and don't find that appealing at all... but the page itself has always been very professional.  They've been doing that kind of "Xbox" update for years -- here's one about playing Ghost Recon from last April: http://wcnews.com/news/update/7038

I don't think it's so much that they're advertising (because, really, Has Microsoft been paying Chris Reid a percentage on every XBox 360 they sell?) as it is that they're trying some community building in the absence of new Wing Commander games.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I'm neither angry nor bitter. It's just that those XBOX updates made me scratch my head, wondering my such things were considered news-worthy on the page that is widely considered as the main hub for all things Wing Commander.

I'm not saying the CIC is involved with EA or Microsoft in any form, but the forums have definitively taken a step towards the 'GameFAQ'ness', if you catch my drift.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2007, 09:33:41 am by Col. Fishguts »