Author Topic: My stuff so far... ( now with pictures [look further down] )  (Read 9786 times)

Offline Mav

My stuff so far... ( now with pictures [look further down] )
Hi :) .

I first posted this over at Game Warden, mainly because I could upload the images directly there.
But as feedback is near to non-existant there :( (except for takashi), I thought it might be a good idea to link it here.

Anyway - so pictures of the 3D-models and some other stuff I made can be found here:
http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?p=54849
Downloads will come later, as I'll yet have to finish most of them; and the one that's rather finished still requires some .tbl-to-.tbm conversion...

Please leave feedback, no matter if here or over there :) .
 (if it's requested and MP has no problems with it, I eventually might also directly link those pics here...)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:02:45 pm by Mav »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
Nice ships i especially like the Imferno and the Havoc. I think the third arm on the lucifer would look cool if you can fix the uv map.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Dysko

Nice ship models! :yes:

Quote from: from Takashi on Game Warden
im suburb when moddeling with shivan and cylon desings. need some help?
Look for Taka's posts there. You'll learn not to trust him when he says these things. He is probably still busy with his 27*1093962 polys, ultra high res textures, glow- and shine-mapped Colossus :lol:
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Actually, he does have a 27*1093962 poly ship. He made it by dividing a cube into three million subdivisions and then started enlarging and moving the points around. The end result was a major waste of resources (actually, it was around 32k polies but could have been done in ~500 polies I would guess).

So just to top it off, Mav, takashi is not exactly 'suburb' with any designs really. You're better of on your own (you're way ahead of him anyway). :)

I was wondering if anyone would notice Taka there LOL
That's cool and ....disturbing at the same time o_o  - Vasudan Admiral

"Don't play games with me. You just killed someone I like, that is not a safe place to stand. I'm the Doctor. And you're in the biggest library in the universe. Look me up."

"Quick everyone out of the universe now!"

Offline Mav

But then - you didn't exactly notice me during the last years, did you? ;)
Maybe that's also because I was involved in making low-level stuff for some project ([hint]check your badge[/hint]) ...
Though, I have to admit that me being quite unfocused doesn't help with anything :sigh: (except philosophy, maybe...) .

So just to top it off, Mav, takashi is not exactly 'suburb' with any designs really. You're better of on your own (you're way ahead of him anyway). :)
Maybe... but then, I had sort of a 5-year headstart...?
And the SB Inferno is just my version of the "too-much-intended,never-done"-category - it's at last starting to take shape after being WIP for 5 years... :sigh:
And there's much left to do on it - just guess why I never showed any pics of it's rear and bottom... There is nearly nothing done on those sections... :(

As for new things... I'm rather slow on this (and trying to participate in a pretty busy forum doesn't exactly help there... nor does discovering Trackmania - *oops* ), so at the moment I just made a new effect as well as some variations of an old one (maybe I'll post pics later).
I'll try to get myself off to get something done to the Inferno's belly, as well as it's as-of-yet-missing turrets... I want to finally fly it...

Besides - anyone interested in pics of some vaguely Shivan-based Trackmania skins? :)

@BS403:
Thanks :) . But there's still a lot to do on the Inferno (read above). The Havoc is nearer to completion, geometry-wise it "only" needs a redo of its turrets (the rearward ones that you can't see in the pics ;) ) and a complete new design for the missileboxes.  Oh, and then there's the texture, of course... :sigh:
(Oh, and I'd guess you maybe came across one "error 403: server not found" too much? -> "b***s*** 403" ?  ;)
Not meant as an insult, I just wondered if that's the reason for your account-name :) .)
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
[offtopic]
Actually my name comes from the card game bs, I won by saying 403 kings and laying down my cards. Nobody called bull**** because my friend layed down his cards down before anyone could call it.
[/offtopic]
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline Topgun

hey, I want that Pegasus reskin!?!

Offline Mav

Sorry for taking so long... but now I uploaded the Pegasus reskin over at GW (still the same topic, see link at top of this thread - seems I can't stop being a necromant, at least as far as threads are concerned... ;) ) .

And should you have meant the other one (the "texture improvement"), that was already uploaded to F2S by me a long time ago; I re-posted the link to the respective download section, too.

Also, I'd like to direct you to my Shivan mod, especially as I put together a Ravana-flying mission (including launching fighters) this weekend :D . Please read the readme and advices, as it's far from perfect (and also only a test mission - yes, I know that the beams you start with are too powerful. so well - select some weaker ones, if that's troubling you :-)  ). But it's a nice experience still :cool: .
Oh, and it hasn't been tested together with the mediaVPs, so these might cause trouble (I plainly don't know).

http://www.game-warden.com/forum/showthread.php?p=76869

I'm not that good informed - has someone else already made something similar? (just being curious)

And please note that as of yet these are two separate mods - they might work in conjunction, but I haven't tested this.
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Topgun

wow, thanks man :yes:.

EDIT: the zip is corrupted, reload it or something.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 08:50:45 am by Topgun »

Offline Mav

EDIT: the zip is corrupted, reload it or something.
No, it isn't... just VISIT the html page of upload2.net instead of downloading it, wait a minute or so and download the zip via the link that'll appear after that minute ;) (it's an ad-sponsored filehost, somehow they HAVE to force you to look at the ads, after all :-/ )

[edit3: Ooops, my bad - the Pegasus isn't on upload2, but rather directly on Gamewarden... still, the advice to NOT right-click-save-as is right, just click the link and you'll get the download. Just tested it, the file should be about 156kB and work correctly. Sorry for my misdirection at this point - I was a bit confused and thought you meant one of the other files...]

After I saw your post, I tried downloading myself, and also checked this re-downloaded file, and it worked quite fine :) .

And thanks for applause :) (or recognition or what should it be called? My English isn't very leak-proof ;-) , i.e. I'm usually missing some words I'd need...) .

[edit: "zip reloaded, now aiming for next target..."  :lol: ;) ]

[edit2: Uploaded some new pics (of a new wip Stardestroyer-Type vessel) and the Nightwing's zip to my GW-models-thread :-) ]
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:21:33 am by Mav »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Mav

yeah... necrothreadaged, sorry :nervous: . I'd prefer to keep together stuff that belongs together, but should any admin believe this to be inappropriate, I wouldn't have a problem with this thread being split here :) .

Well, anyway - I just wanted to announce that I uploaded both the Nightwing (heavy stealth fighter) and the Fireclaw (Shivan Pegasus reskin) to freespacemods.net; I hope you like them at least a bit, though they are somewhat out of date now :) .
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Snail

• SC 5
A few normal maps for the Fireclaw would be cool, if you are able to make them.

Offline Mav

Hmm, I'm not too up-to-date with the current SCP features... but I guess that would be another grayscale-image, right?
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
yeah... necrothreadaged, sorry :nervous: . I'd prefer to keep together stuff that belongs together, but should any admin believe this to be inappropriate, I wouldn't have a problem with this thread being split here :) .

I can't see there being a problem, it is your thread afterall and to keep your stuff together would seem appropriate!

I'm no mod or admin though!
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline Mav

I did a bit more work on some of my ships.
Particularly, the GTVsF Aurora is mostly finished model-wise  (maybe I could add a few more details to the cockpit...)  and awaits UV-mapping, while the SsbB Inferno is finally starting to come together - I smoothed its' bottom side and started to model engines at the back.

The Inferno will still require a good deal more details to come out how I like it, though - actually, I started modeling a cockpit and a pilot (the tiny thing in the 2nd picture) for it  :mad2: ...  ;) .
Also, I think the Inferno's main weapons emplacement   (the upper part of the backside)   is currently not sleek enough (best noticeable in the 3rd pic).

I wanted to put up a few images directly here - especially since feedback at GW remembers me more of a graveyard than anything else... :( .  (Ok, ok... I'm the one to talk :rolleyes:...)

So... please leave feedback! :)  :nod:

A few pics of the Inferno:

...and one of the Aurora:
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline stuart133

• Check for Fail
Re: My stuff so far... ( now with pictures [look further down] )
Not sure about the poly mess at the top of the Inferno, looks ... odd.

On the other hand, the Aurora looks pretty nice :)
Wish my modelling skillz were as good as yours.
Organiser of HLP 10. (Well at least so I am told)

Stuart you're running this one now ain't ya? So get choosing. :p

Offline Mav

Not sure about the poly mess at the top of the Inferno, looks ... odd.
It's supposed to be scaled - a bit like the Sathanas   (though the main design is more oriented after the Mara)   , but more irregular. Originally, it was smoother - TrivialPsychic pointed out it didn't fit Shivan design lines too well in its' original form, and I tended to agree...

As for my modeling skills - I started modeling with the "fighter creation tutorial" from one of the old FS sites (I think FSWatch) ...   I'll oneday have to redo my result from it in higher detail, I already have a role for it to fill...
[edit:
 What I meant with this was:  Try starting with this tutorial :) (or maybe some other one that you prefer) . The 2nd sentence was just a random semi-related thought...
 ]

Meanwhile, the current state of the SsFK Havoc - I still need to re-do the missile-launcher boxes...  (old pre-textured model in upper left)  :

And my 2nd ever model, the SsF Haunter, now at least with a slightly improved (and far from perfect) UV-map   (yep, textures nearly [some tiling was added] ARE  the same - see what happens if you mess up the UV-map? ;P )   .

First the old UV, then the new one with slightly changed texture:

Oh, and here's the work-in-progress   (arms are still missing, as is a proper texture)   pilot of the Inferno:

And, for something differently-themed, the current state of my Jalkehi-model (Wing Commander 2) , including my first texture done in a vector-graphics programme
     (the texture isn't finished yet, and the UV-map also needs some redoing, as you may see at the middle side of the main hull... Don't mind the distortion on the outer wing, that's just an additional square/cube model for later placement of insignia)     :

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:33:49 pm by Mav »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Mav

...and here a bit more:

First off, I continued the Inferno's pilot on saturday morning:

Then, I did a bit more work on the Haunter's UV-map on sunday morning. Finally it starts to look at least a bit as it should do, though now the texture part of the rear "rudder-wing" doesn't fit anymore, and the missiletubes are still too far at the rear:

Here's my try to redo the Bloodfang Mk.1 from Wing Commander 2 (the wings still need to be more curved, the engines are a bit too large and the missiletubes obviously aren't really started yet) , that I did early the last year   (the coloured thing in the background is a reference-screenshot, pasted onto a simple cube)   :

And then, there's my old try at a Shivan support ship (dubbed "Hydra", as it gives the "monsters" new "heads" ;) ), done in early-/mid-2003 . Do you think I should continue it?
  :
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 04:36:05 pm by Mav »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline Mav

Again to the Inferno...

Here, the "poly mess" can be seen better. It does consist of scales:

A grid-shot with modelview (notice the cockpit with early pilot-model) :

Missiletube-tests viewed from below:

Yep, it's getting turrets :)  :

Also, it looked to blocky from the front view:

...as can also be seen here:

... thus, I decided to set it on diet:

Don't worry, I'm using a mirror-modeler. I just turned it of here, to compare the old and the new half:

And even one view more at the "poly mess", this time after the diet and with the mirror-modeler re-engaged:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 01:28:24 am by Mav »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics