Author Topic: EA Starfury need a new but uhm...  (Read 25588 times)

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
Re: EA Starfury need a new but uhm...
you wont need to mess with manuevering thrusters that much if its too-scale with the orignal.

but heres a simpler explanation for the mauevering thrusters

1: open up the ships.tbl and find things starting with "thruster" in the aura entry. they look like this:

$Thruster:
+Used for:                     ( "Reverse" "Roll right" "Pitch up" )
+Position:                     (-4.936 2.293 2.05)
+Normal:                       (0.0 0.0 1.0)
+Texture:                      manouver_thruster
+Radius:                       0.7
+Length:                       1.9

2: now open up the model in modelview and place a gunpoint at the coords defined by the table. move it until its where its supposed to be, and change the +position values to match the moved gunpoint.

3: delete the gunpoint and move on through all the thrusters. check the original auora if you have problems finding where a thruster has to go.

notes: the thruster data in the .pof file (purple triangle things) doesent matter. and neither does the data like $Thruster01 Radius factor:     0.7
$Thruster Bitmap 2a:           thrusterflame_blue
$Thruster02 Radius factor:     0.3
$Thruster02 Length factor:     0.7
$Thruster03 Radius factor:     1.4

TBM file stuff

all the new manuevering thruster infor goes directly after the LOD info. both info sets should be the same for auora.pof and auora_line.pof.

so one of the tbm entries should read in this order:

#Ship classes (this is the tbm starting point)

$Name: (this is the name of the ship its modifying
+nocreate (this insures its modifyign something, not creating a new table entry)
$Detail distance: (the distances at which the LODs switch. always start with 0.)
$thruster: (there are many of these little sub-entrys. define manuevering thrusters. x means its a field that should be copyed straight from the original.))
+Used for:                     x
+Position:                     (this is the only field you need to modify)
+Normal:                       x
+Texture:                      x
+Radius:                       x
+Length:                       x

#End (tells the game the table has ended. with -wep.tbm files there can be two "ends". one for primary weapons and one for secondarys.)

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Bigoudi

akenbosch really tks for this good unpack tutorial.

but i dont want do anything for now on this ship im now on stand by with this starfury.

just one thing if u want edit this file for me is wellcome but dont need is just a litle ask.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
he want's to change the LOD distances, that seems like a perfectly reasonable thing for a modeler to do.

Why is his Star Fury enormously bigger than the old one? Possibly dreadnaught sized? Or maybe a piece of nanotechnology? Because a change in scale is the only reason I see for overriding the existing Star Fury's perfectly distance/size weighted LODs. Now stop disagreeing with me for the sake of it :P.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
LOD distance is based on polycount. The new Aurora has a higher polycount, thus he wants shorter LOD distances.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
And what's the point of having a higher poly model if you only see it at a distance of 10ft? And any distance past that it's replaced by a frickin' cube? Has everyone here had their brains removed or what?  :wtf:
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
actualy, its replaced by one with 10000 less polys that still loooks just as good, save a few missing struts.

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
And what's the point of having a higher poly model if you only see it at a distance of 10ft? And any distance past that it's replaced by a frickin' cube? Has everyone here had their brains removed or what?  :wtf:

The idea is having an EXTREMELY high poly model for way up close, and a still high-poly but not insane model for moderate distances, and a low-poly model at a range of thousands of meters.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Oh right. Well that's okay then. Stupidity is definitely a good reason to override the existing table entry. I really should stay out of this thread. I lost 10 sanity points just reading the title.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
what about manuevering thrusters?

Hi there i am that guy i have modeling the starfury 10 year ago and more, in the past someone as ask me if he can use my model but some day after i want to say yes to him i got my hotmail account hacked becose old steam account was lost in same time. I have today look some vidéo at youtube from this old project TBP 5 and i remember 10 year ago the lead of the project dont want use my ship becose is to many poly's for the game engine and the hardware at this time. So happy to see my model was finaly use in this mod is perhaps the only thing i have done and finish to use in 3D so happy to see my model was finaly approved. I remember me someone have ask me ask me 10 year ago if i can upload all of my the model and texture to use it sadly never upload it i dont noe TBP is perhaps done and no one work on it any more but if someone need anything of the starfury i have done so long time ago i have hold anything if is need. Thanks.

Offline emi_100

• www.artstation.com/emimartinez
hi there! congratulations for the work! really nice model.
Would be nice to have the original model, maybe in the future could be add the interior cockpit.
DEDICATED TO ALL THE
PEOPLE WHO PREDICTED
THAT THE BABYLON
PROJECT WOULD FAIL IN
IT'S MISSION.

-------FAITH MANAGES------
  • Normal Maps for -The Babylon Project-
  • "Battle at ..." (Campaign) You can't choose when, but you will choose where... and you will fight! GO NOW!
  • "One Mistake" (Third Space Campaign)
  • "Each Night I Dream of Home" (Crusade Single Mision)

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
Hi and welcome back,

I remember making your model into a plug-and-play ready ressource for other modders way back then (just added that little table magic, that's all); but I had a slightly different version that the one that is in use in TBP today (which was way more smooth which contributed the high poly count). I might also not have been the last one to contact you, as the Aurora model in TBP today is not 100 percent the one I packaged with tables back in the day - someone did make some alterations to make it more game-ready.

The textures are still 100 percent yours and we are all better for it - seriously, those textures are really good to work with to make customized textures  :yes:
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Thanks for reply ok apparently my model is not the official one but this pple have do vidéo from TBP using it and is very early video in youtube so i have mean it is (i see the ship has lost the level of shading i have do in 3DS light on poly's is completly flat perhaps this thing was lost during some oder soft exporting). I see the truster point was correctly replaced that thing was never correctly done by me never noe how to do it in 3DSmax. I remember me the max poly's for a little fighter ship in FS2 was 2500 perhaps this count can be higher today so i have make the max possible detail and stay in range 2400/ 2500 poly's some little detail can be add to be more immersive at the back of the ship, very little optimised modul can be add and stay in 2500 poly's for now the back is completly flat with a simple texture. Yes the texture was download from some offcial babylone movie modeler so the original defining and size was very good to operate with. well ok i will try to re install some graphique tools and 3dsmax to see how to pack that all thing but not now now. One last thing i dont see any way to uplaod any file on the forum perhaps be mail ? let me noe how and which pple want it. Thanks.

The limits for polycounts are pretty much a thing of the past, as long as you make good LODs; there are some fighters with 20k or 25k polies and 4k (4096) maps now.

Ok thanks to help me so long time dont have my hand's on that all thing's. I have install knossos and want to see with my eyes if is my ship or not, and it is modeling and texturing exactly 101% happy to see that once again. But so many thing as perhaps change for texture converting TGA to DDS i have keep old thing for that with old photoshop realase but i thing is beter way to do it today but with what i dont noe. Any way i have take a look at the ship and is one stronly new glossy effect on it, it break all of the texture work i think everything is to do again becose the dark part i have do 10 year ago is no need anymore or i have to make some else part darker too perhaps one map is missing in the engine at this time do not include that kind of glossy white shine effect on the ship. Ok so i dont noe if i will find the time and the motivation to hand that thing again but if is not anymore poly's count limit if i work again on it everything will be do again from start. But for me same problems stay is that truster thing's in 3DSmax. I give you new if i start something about that thanks again.