Author Topic: EA Starfury need a new but uhm...  (Read 25561 times)

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Re: EA Starfury need a new but uhm...
B5Tech should be taken with a grain of salt. They don't have a good reputation for accuracy.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Carnage

Maybe, but in the Movies you can see that the Starfury has 4 guns :D

Maybe, but in the Movies you can see that the Starfury has 4 guns :D

Badger or Aurura?

Offline Bigoudi

wa wa so many comment :).

well i have look many thing around ship, i dont want change poly count any more for the first lod.
becose ship look like just at the good limitless feeling at first lod.

i see 2 big problemes why ship is so heavy in some game part.

1. 1024x1024 map is to high for sure, but wipout this 1024 map, with so many poly a lowest map size like 512x512 kill it ship feeling.

2. THE lod's from any fighter is drawed TO FAR from camera so becose this ship hold to long the 1 lod's.
becose this to my new model is to heavy.

i try to respond to any new comment but for one more i dont have inderstand all.

about the segond weapong yes i have modeling it becose ship look realy beter with, and sure can put later some new weapong if need or want.

about the cockpit mmhh yes it will be a good idea if i stay under 3500 poly count, but i dont know what the way to do it exactly, i dont know if i can make it only with one map & one material, i mean for the window opacity
if it work use only the alpha channel from diffuse map, i change only the color from the alpha in a coner of the 1024x1024 map where is located the window so i can try to have it only with one material.

and why do a cockpit anyway we never play inside ship i mean the glow map is bad drawed that my fault im a noob maper if someone will draw a beter glow map for the cockpit why not :).
And else thing if i do a cockpit finaly only the starfury got it one & later pple say why only this ship got it a cockpit and not the another one zzzzzzzzz......(fighter poly's count will be explode).
diffuse map from this ship can be really beter but im not a good maper.

tks for many coment about like my ship, i have hard work of this model becose i love this fighter i have modeling it like a memory's starfury for every all like is playing TBP & TBP moder team.

what in the futur about this new model i will correct it a litle unmaped face, the litle truster efect is not in place with my model and try to add one litle map detail.
probably do it rear part with some litle more poly's to improve ship feeling for external view.

0rph3u5 no prob about pic i know make something for a mod is long.

for the end i want say im now the official modeler of a new project but is hard to creat new ship i take my time about this for now.

but if the TBP team ask me to change anything on ship, a texture change, a new fury model, new weapong point ask me directly here i try to make it how fast i can.(dont say badger pls i dont have time for do it now).

i hope i dont boring pple with a so long post & i ever hope this fury will in final relase  :rolleyes:.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
Well about the texture I believe you could use the original texture, which looks decent enough.

And from the pics Ive seen, only problem I have with the model itself is the fact that its fully smoothed, which tbh doesnt fit much with the starfury style
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you do know that LOD distances are set in the ship table, right?

cockpits are often made as a separate model due to drawing order issues, this makes it easy to also use detail boxes with them, since the object is separate already this is one of the rare situations were using a separate texture is often acceptable, though if you can use the same texture it is still much preferred.

cockpits are a standard feature of most mod fighter craft, initaly people were making the comments that they wouldn't be visible, but after the first few were made people stopped saying that for some reason. and you can make it so the cockpit is visible to the player, so if nothing else it's good for that.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 05:50:11 am by Bobboau »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bigoudi

Raven2001 i dont have understand all about the smoothing but ship is not fully smoothed, i have modeling it with the original fury from serie be side this one, smoothing is exactly same of the original one.
Smoothing is located exactly same of the real one.(but sure in TBP is no shadow & ship dont got the 87000 poly's count for sure this drop many ship feeling).

Bobboau yes i know truster efect and lod's distances are in ship table.
the prob is i cant make a new floder with a new edited ship table becose game crash at start if i do this.
and anyway we cant extract the 3.4 final core it take to many hard drive space.
if this will be corrected in the futur must be change in a relase.
or pple have to unpack the core.

lol i dont know how to use detail box i dont have look for this thing now uhm.

Offline Raven2001

• Machina Terra Reborn
  • Im not the droid your looking for, move along
I mean the smooth shading, ya know: smooth shading vs autofaceted vs faceted shadings

If it isnt in smooth shading as it is then probably the specular maps arent doing their job properly, which makes teh lightning look similar as how it looks like in the old smooth shaded models :)
Yeah, I know you were waiting for a very nice sig, in which I was quoting some very famous scientist or philosopher... guess what?!? I wont indulge you...

Why, you ask? What, do I look like a Shivan to you?!?

Raven is a god.

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I posted a link to the wiki article on detail boxes earlier.
and you can always use a TBM rather than a new TBL (check the wiki).
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
NEVER override a core TBL for something as petty as a new ship model. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! You don't need a new table entry. Just a new model.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Bigoudi

OHh raven i see now what u mean about shine i know yes shine is not showed in all ship part some part is completly black and u dont see shine any more.

this is do from my self some shine part is completly black becose if i let the shine go on every ship part u see face shine default from FS2 engine.
Smooth from FS2 is really ugly need to many poly's to have a good result but if u draw a shine map on some part completly black the shine is fully hide. i have do this to have a beter shine & smooth result in game.

andrew ? yes sure dont need change ship tbl but ah what is the another way to replace the litle truster effect and the distance lod's. i want to know tks.

Offline A2597

The entire team has done an absolutly WONDERFUL job on this mod, it really is commendable, and I want to make certain that no team member feels I am putting down their work, because really, it's awesome, and I have no delusions that I could do as good.

That said, I must agree that there are times I feel that the restrictions are too tight, this is 2007, and a budget system of about 500$ nets you dual core processors and 512MB High powered graphics cards (I know, I just built my new PC).

A few hundred thousand polies on the screen is nothing nowadays, a few million is acceptible by todays standards.

Obviously, Poly's alone do NOT make a great model, and amazing things can be done on a very tight budget, in most cases, you won't ever notice the insane little details anyway, especially on fighters. But nonetheless, there are times that I think the Freespace engine can be pushed a little further than it is...

Again, this is by NO MEANS intended to say that the Babylon Project team hasn't done amazing work, I really feel that this is one of the most public mods, and really helped motivate other teams to start bringing our favorite show into the gameing world. It is only to say...I'm not really certain really, aside from the limitations need not be so tight in some cases. LOL

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
NEVER override a core TBL for something as petty as a new ship model. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER! You don't need a new table entry. Just a new model.

he want's to change the LOD distances, that seems like a perfectly reasonable thing for a modeler to do.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
it depends on the LOD differences. i recomend you changing them if your LOD1 (second level of deatil) is the origninal starfury, and everything after that is its LODs. you have too add a whole new LOD distance value!

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Bigoudi

Hahh cute new i have to change the lod's distance directly on my lod's named 1, 2 & 3 BE sure i will.

but is ever same probleme i have to change i want to change it but every time i read only one thing change it
BUT HOW& WHERE EXACTLY wipout the ship.tbl.

SO i ask me something after that i have probably miss a part on PCS2 to set a new distance on my lod"s well
im not sure to have see something like this in PCS2 or one more time i have probably see it wrong.

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
but is ever same probleme i have to change i want to change it but every time i read only one thing change it
BUT HOW& WHERE EXACTLY wipout the ship.tbl.

I could do a ships.tbm (which would only overwirte the given parameters of ships.tbl) for you that would cover the needed changes (and it would not conflict with the TBP install) .. just write me a PM
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
filename: EAauroaLOD-shp.tbm

whats in it:

#Ship classes

$Name: EA Auora
+nocreate
$Detail distance:              (integer, integer, integer)
$Flags: ( "show ship" ) <- only add this if you have a working cockpit model

$Name: EA Auora Mk. 1
+nocreate
$Detail distance:              (integer, integer, integer)
$Flags: ( "show ship" ) <- only add this if you have a working cockpit model

#End

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline 0rph3u5

• Oceans rise. Empires fall.
now add the corrected entires for the maneuver thrusters please  :drevil:
"As you sought to steal a kingdom for yourself, so must you do again, a thousand times over. For a theft, a true theft, must be practiced to be earned." - The terms of Nyrissa's curse, Pathfinder: Kingmaker

==================

"I am Curiosity, and I've always wondered what would become of you, here at the end of the world." - The Guide/The Curious Other, Othercide

"When you work with water, you have to know and respect it. When you labour to subdue it, you have to understand that one day it may rise up and turn all your labours into nothing. For what is water, which seeks to make all things level, which has no taste or colour of its own, but a liquid form of Nothing?" - Graham Swift, Waterland

"...because they are not Dragons."

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
bigoudi can do that. just change the oords-using model view to place temporary gunpoints where you want to put a thruster, and use those coords. then, after modifying the origninal data, copy all the $thruster entries too the .tbm.

the ones that specify regular thrusters arent needed, you only change the ones with coordinates.

Offline Bigoudi

Uahmumm omg give me a gun i shot me my self.

im only a poor modeler nothing else  :shaking:

well maybe 0rph3u5 if u make me a ship.tbm i want to look at it to try this.

akenbosch tks really good tutorial on the first post but on segond post im a bit lost
yes dont forgot im french my english is limited i need really a good unpack tutorial to uderstand all on this thing.

but tks to help me in my ship quest ^^.