Author Topic: What's With The Azrael?!  (Read 6481 times)

Offline MT

Re: What's With The Azrael?!
Well they are large enought to shuttle people around. Which is just what they're supposed to do. If you wan't to move large masses of people, the what is stopping you to stuff them in a crago container?

Isis and Elysium move handfuls of people or equipment at short distances. No need to be big and bulky...

EDIT:
Oh, and if you wan't to compare Seraphim and Azrael... Then why not compare modern day main battle tanks and APC's? Tanks are usually bigger since APC needs to be just big enought so it can carry a squad with equipment. No room for laughing (literally). Bigger also means slower, which also might not be desireable.

Yes, but the APC doesn't carry that many more people.

IIRC tanks have a crew of three or four, while APCs varies on the model. Some are just straight APCs with no guns, so they just need a driver. Some have guns, so they need a gunner. Then there are IFVs. Usually to make it worthwhile APCs should carry at least five troops. I thought China had a main battle tank that could transport infantry, but I forget.

Western modern MBTs generally have 4 crew members: Commander, Gunner, Loader and Driver. For tanks with autoloader (most tanks of Soviet lineage), the Loader is dropped for 3 crew members only. Most Western tank crews like having 4 guys, since the loader can help with the radio and general maintenance.

APCs like the M113 (APC varient) have only 2 crew members, Driver and Commander. The Commander also operates the MG mount at the top of the vehicle himself. For IFVs like the BMP series and Bradley, there are 3 crew members, Driver, Commander and Gunner.

In terms of carrying capacity, the M113 APC (not those with more fanciful turrets like the Israeli OWS or the CIS 40/50 turrets) can carry 11 fully equipped soldiers. IFVs generally carry far fewer soldiers, usually 6-7.

The only tank that I know of that can transport soldiers is the Israeli Merkava. Incidentally, the Israelis also converted some captured T55s into (heavily armoured) APCs.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Well Finish army Nasu ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu_Nasu ) is a cute little thing with lots space.
Except the NA-111GT (signal station version). It's an early YVI 2 system station and I don't know how they made it so cramped, especially the control stations. A larger man is sure to pull half a dozen cables off when making his way to the computer...
But the normal version carries up to 17 angry korrrpisoturi reasonably comfortably over the greatest of snowy wastes...
And it's small and unimpressive, just like Isis and Elysium.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline MT

Well Finish army Nasu ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sisu_Nasu ) is a cute little thing with lots space.
Except the NA-111GT (signal station version). It's an early YVI 2 system station and I don't know how they made it so cramped, especially the control stations. A larger man is sure to pull half a dozen cables off when making his way to the computer...
But the normal version carries up to 17 angry korrrpisoturi reasonably comfortably over the greatest of snowy wastes...

Thats not an APC. It's barely even armoured, having a Kevlar lining doesn't count as armour. It is a transport, not an APC and it is definitely not designed to be on the front like where a M203 will just make a mess out of it. If we want to talk about unarmoured transports, a 2.5/3/5 tonne truck might be more appropriate.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Aren't we the illiterate one. Where exactly did I say it was APC?

So its barely armoured, small, carries single turret which only purpose seems to be to attract even more agro on the shooter and is a transport. How would you define Elysium?
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Offline MT

Aren't we the illiterate one. Where exactly did I say it was APC?

So its barely armoured, small, carries single turret which only purpose seems to be to attract even more agro on the shooter and is a transport. How would you define Elysium?

No need to be sarcastic.

My original post was a response to thesizzler's post on crew sizes. Since your earlier post came after mine and it didn't quote posts before mine, I made the assumption that your post on the Sisu Nasu was in relation to the talk on APCs. Since I made the mistake in assuming so, I accept that to be my fault.

Elysium is a transport, that is all that is said in the game. Whether it is a transport meant for operations in safe areas like trucks or armoured for front-line use, we don't know.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Oh yes we do.

The GTT Elysium class of transports has been in service for over 40 years. Its mission hasn't changed from the time of the Great War - to transport civilian and military personnel from one star system to another. The Elysium is very poorly armed, with a single Subach HL-7 cannon, and also suffers from thin armor plating. Only desperate circumstances find Elysiums anywhere near the front lines. Assaults and dangerous transport missions handled almost exclusively by the much tougher GTT Argo class.

When in doubt, always look at the tables first. :) Now the situation in FS1 might be different as I don't have FS1 installed at the moment.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Just a small note its FINNISH, not Finish.

What do you think we are, Finished?  :doubt:

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
Well, hundred shivans would have to fight for that little toilet onboard that Azarel lol.

Maybe that heard about a shrinking device before...

THE APOCALYPSE PROJECT IS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS!!! SIGN UP AT:
The official forum | The official website

"Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason." -Derek Smart

Harsh words, Derek. Harsh words. And what do you get? No liscence, no FreeSpace, only some stfu from HLP. That is legal.

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!
A complete rewrite of the FS2 quotes!
HLP Cards! Click here to make one of yourself!

The original FreeSpace 3 wishlist!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

your post invited this comment.

how do we even know that shivans use toilets?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Well, if you actually put a scale human beside a scale fs2 cruiser. You find out that the fs ships are pretty ****ing big, and can hold a lot of people.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline BS403

• I'm just sitting in my Cave.
Oh yes we do.

The GTT Elysium class of transports has been in service for over 40 years. Its mission hasn't changed from the time of the Great War - to transport civilian and military personnel from one star system to another. The Elysium is very poorly armed, with a single Subach HL-7 cannon, and also suffers from thin armor plating. Only desperate circumstances find Elysiums anywhere near the front lines. Assaults and dangerous transport missions handled almost exclusively by the much tougher GTT Argo class.

When in doubt, always look at the tables first. :) Now the situation in FS1 might be different as I don't have FS1 installed at the moment.

heres the fs1 tech description:

Since the start of space colonization, this standard transport has been used by everyone, both civilian and military.  While it has undergone minor changes time and again, it remains a simple design: A vehicle meant to transport personnel from one place to another.
http://woogleville.myminicity.com/

Homer: Aw, twenty dollars! I wanted a peanut!
Homer's Brain: Twenty dollars can buy many peanuts.
Homer: Explain how.
Homer's Brain: Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
Homer: Woo-hoo!

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
your post invited this comment.

how do we even know that shivans use toilets?

Let's use some basic logic here. Shivans don't use gravity, there flying all over the place in an azrael in no gravity. Flying all over the azrael doing acrobatics and stuff like birds. So i deduce that shivans are like birds; they **** everywhere.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

If they **** everywhere, the boarding party on the FS1 cutscene would of said, "Pew, this place stinks."

Apparently the smell of shivan dung isn't that much different from the smell of terran marine dung.

Offline nubbles526

• MODerate MODder
If they **** everywhere, the boarding party on the FS1 cutscene would of said, "Pew, this place stinks."

Good point lol

Since the start of space colonization, this standard transport has been used by everyone, both civilian and military.  While it has undergone minor changes time and again, it remains a simple design: A vehicle meant to transport personnel from one place to another.

Is this the tech description of the Azarel or an Elysium?

THE APOCALYPSE PROJECT IS LOOKING FOR MEMBERS!!! SIGN UP AT:
The official forum | The official website

"Only a braindead idiot would take that post to mean that I'm planning on taking legal action on anyone and without cause or reason." -Derek Smart

Harsh words, Derek. Harsh words. And what do you get? No liscence, no FreeSpace, only some stfu from HLP. That is legal.

STEALTH AIN'T DEAD!!!!
A complete rewrite of the FS2 quotes!
HLP Cards! Click here to make one of yourself!

The original FreeSpace 3 wishlist!

Find the MOON challenge!

Your very fist dive....

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Elysium obviously.

Also people, bear in mind that many does not equal thousands/hundreds. It could have 10 or 20 shivans and it would still be many.
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Still, a bomber shouldn't be bigger. Look at a support ship. They are the size of a bomber and hold dozens of bombs. The Seraphim is way too big for the bomb load that it carries.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Nope. Support ships are too small for the bomb load they carry.

And I prefer bombers to be big and menacing. Nephilim and Seraphim just scream "death and destruction at a large scale" at you. On the other hand a pitiful little ****e like Nahema shouldn't have the firepower to take on nothing more than a cruiser...

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Nope. Support ships are too small for the bomb load they carry.

And I prefer bombers to be big and menacing. Nephilim and Seraphim just scream "death and destruction at a large scale" at you. On the other hand a pitiful little ****e like Nahema shouldn't have the firepower to take on nothing more than a cruiser...

The Nahema has the same payload as the Artemis (I haven't checked the tables so don't rape me or anything).

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Was that just a boring little ramble on your part, or are you having a point of some sort? :nervous: