Author Topic: TIE Fighter (Completed)  (Read 21985 times)

Offline Topgun

Re: TIE Fighter (Completed)
lod's are easy, just do it before uv mapping. I am willing to make the geometry for the lod's if you want.

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Nice Tie fighter.(I can't wait to play as it ;)).
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Wow, that's a beautiful TIE Fighter.

The only gripe I have with it however, is the cockpit hull. It doesn't look completely round to me,  but I can live with its current shape.

By the way, just how many TIES are you going to do? I know that you should get the main ones out of the way, like the TIE Interceptor and the TIE Bomber, but are TIES such as the TIE Avenger and the TIE Defender on the TIES to do list as well?

Edit:  Also, Truespace isn't necessary for modeling, and neither is purchasing the full version.  3.2 is available freely and still capable of making models.  There's also Blender, 3ds Max, Wings3d, Sketchup, Solid Modeling applications, etc...

but you most buy everything for modelling full version

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Gee what do you think? :welcomegreen: Have you been beamed yet? If they didn't make the Tie Defender I would kil.........Uhh *warps out :warp:*.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
    • Fate of the Galaxy: The Star Wars Conversion for Freespace
A) I'm going grey-blue, it's the colour used for all TIEs except for in ANH, and those only weren't blue because you couldn't bluescreen them.

B) Already UV-mapped it, I'll figure out a way to do it though

C) I'm only planning on Fighter and Interceptor at the moment, because I only need to redo the panels to convert it to an interceptor.

D) Of course it's not round, as the original model is slightly deformed, and also because I need to keep my polycount down

E) TIE defender is not high on our priority list
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy
"I love your wrong proportions--too long, no, wait, too short
I love you with a highly symbolic torpedo up the exhaust port"
-swashmebuckle's ode to the transport

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
lod's are easy, just do it before uv mapping. I am willing to make the geometry for the lod's if you want.

If he's using Max, LODing comes after UV mapping. You save a lot of time if you create a lower LOD by collapsing vertices on the fully finished LOD0 model. Only minor corrections in the UV editor are usually necessary, plus your lower LOD already uses the same texture as LOD0, which is the way it should be anyway (if you're using DDS with mipmaps).
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
But it doesn't say what they're used for.

To make the ship look good?
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
A) I'm going grey-blue, it's the colour used for all TIEs except for in ANH, and those only weren't blue because you couldn't bluescreen them.

Use 'em both. They're variants - the standard TIE fighter and the TIE/In Line. Useful to have, from a FREDding perspective, especially if it only costs a recolour that you've already done and an extra table slot that shouldn;t be an issue in a few SCP versions.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Yeah that's something we've discussed as an in-game use.  According to Wookiepedia the TIE/ln is the blue one which has better performance than the old white T.I.E.

I meant I was using the blue/grey one simply as a base colour for all the other TIEs that I'll be doing.
Former Senior Modeler, Texturer and Content Moderator (retired), Fate of the Galaxy

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Here we go, Shinemapped now.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
:jaw:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Man I can't wait to fly around in this and kill some X-Wings

Offline Acin

Hi!
I'm new to this entire stuff here, but I'd like to learn to do the modeling. What software do you use for the 3D Model? I have a CAD 14 running on my Laptop. Is it sufficient? Or do you need a specific kind of format to save the projects? I thought that once I know how to make the 3D models I could try to draw some small auxilary objects like Nav-point beacons, Transmitter-satelites, Missiles, space mines or turrets....
 Please give me a hand. I'd like to join in.!
Find me on Skype as Martin Laske in Germany, Oberwesel

Offline aRaven

one thing bugs me...why is the cockpit brown?

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
For me I use 3D Studio Max, I don't know much about what you're using so I can't help

and as for the cockpit, I used this as a reference pic for colouring:

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:39:20 pm by brandx0 »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Man I can't wait to fly around in this and kill some X-Wings

Me, either...

Quote from: FS2 SCP
brandx0 was killed by jr2.

EDIT: @brandx0: use lvlshot!

Offline brandx0

• The Angriest Angel.
Quote from: FS2 SCP
brandx0 was killed by jr2.

Hah, bring it on!

Very nice, Congrats on the finished model.

Edit:  Also, Truespace isn't necessary for modeling, and neither is purchasing the full version.  3.2 is available freely and still capable of making models.  There's also Blender, 3ds Max, Wings3d, Sketchup, Solid Modeling applications, etc...

but you most buy everything for modelling full version

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Beautiful model guys. Don't neglect the LODs though. You'll need them if you want to do anything Endorish.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline aRaven

and as for the cockpit, I used this as a reference pic for colouring:

it can't be canon...i have never seen a brown cockpitted tie in the movies before...brown looks wierd ^^

much better reference pic (even the canopy thingie is in the right position) :P