Author Topic: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!  (Read 221449 times)

Offline feltoar

• Economical Gamer
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
Im being told I cannot connect to FS2netD servers.. :S

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this fir
What version of fs2_open you running?
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline jedimasterseth

• ~#fLinT#~
    • MySpace
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
Hey everyone, Im online n hostin a game, come on in for some fun...
Jedimasterseth a.k.a FLINT

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
Re: Multiplayer Schedule + How To Get Started in FS2 Multiplayer - Read this first!
I can start a game in it, but it won't let me into the lobby (it gets hung up on "logging into parallax online"). Is it working for you?

[edit] I'm going back to 3.6.9 for now so we don't lose any people. We'll decide what to do there.

the lobby takes ages to load up, it feels like it bugs but eventualy it loads , but it doesnt show any games just the ppl in the lobby, ( taylor can you check this)...... (and can you explain the media vps issue, in 3.6.10 if i use them my stats dont save , but then again my stats dont save in 3.6.9 without mediavps) ........

Hey everyone, Im online n hostin a game, come on in for some fun...

so your alive thats great flint.... sorry i wasnt there tonight i had a urgent need to get drunk and forget about life

but im over it now

so hopefuly see you saturday , ( if im ot there i apologise to all as there is a chance that ive got to help teach on a flying trapeze course........ and i wont know untill saturday morning if thats gunna happen, and at that point ill be offline for the weekend)

have fun...............................
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
3.6.10 (rev. 4606) got stuck in login for me too, until I moved the multi.cfg out from the data folder.
I guess the cfg file got precedence over the hard coded settings, but has faulty content?

What actually should be there in the multi.cfg? I had this:

+user_server   64.92.160.252
+game_server   64.92.160.252
+server_port   12000
+chat_server   fs2netd.game-warden.com
+banner_url      http://fs2netd.game-warden.com/files/banners
+datarate      1000000000
+pxo         #lobby_20

Offline Shade

Game starting now. Running 3.6.9 tonight.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I got caught up playing TVWP.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
the lobby takes ages to load up, it feels like it bugs but eventualy it loads , but it doesnt show any games just the ppl in the lobby, ( taylor can you check this)...... (and can you explain the media vps issue, in 3.6.10 if i use them my stats dont save , but then again my stats dont save in 3.6.9 without mediavps) ........
There is a bug in the chat server that causes the lobby to take so long to load up.  It started after I made some changes to fix a couple of Mantis bugs, but I haven't been able to figure out why the changes that I made would have caused the problem.  I know that it's a pain, but nothing is really broken for anyone, so it hasn't been a priority to fix.  Once I get time I'll setup a local debug session and fix the problem, but I have gotten really swamped with work here recently so I haven't had a chance to really do much FSO related in a while.

The game count issue is the lobby was fixed, but it is easily messed up by slow-ish connections (anything more than 25ms, which is just about everybody).  I changed the code to fix that but I don't think that I have released a build with the updated fix yet.

For the stats, it still doesn't have any tbms added to the validation database.  3.6.10 does need to have CRCs for tbms, and not having them in the database will obviously mess it up.  I don't plan to add the tbms from the 3.6.10 MediaVPs until they go final, or I hear from DaBrain that no more tbm changes are going to be made.

Offline captain-custard

• previously known as andicirk
  • one sandwich short of a picnic
thanks taylor........................
"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together."

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
Yeah. Thanks. Who cares if you made so many improvements to FS2NetD. THE CHAT SERVER IS SLOW. YOU ARE AN ASSHOLE!!

Anyway...

Offline jedimasterseth

• ~#fLinT#~
    • MySpace
*Snorts in indignation* - How dare anyone insult taylor the Lord, the Creator, our Saviour...

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
*Snorts in indignation* - How dare anyone insult taylor the Lord, the Creator, our Saviour...
BUT THE CHAT SERVER IS SLOW!!!

BTW, what build tonight?

Offline Shade

3.6.10 for the regular saturday game, at least for a couple of missions. After that we may switch back to 3.6.9 if people are having problems, but we do have to try 3.6.10 first to keep finding any bugs hiding there before the final version is released. Especially as it's been a whie since we last used it and there could be all kinds of new and exciting things to go wrong this time that we've never seen before ;) Plus it doesn't bloat the host's multi.log, and runs the mission validation faster, both of which are niiiice.

Oh, and about the chat server, if I remember correctly then all you have to do is click cancel or hit escape while it's hanging on the login and you'll be shunted directly to the game lobby and avoid the wait.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Shade

Game starting now, running 3.6.10. Andicirk and I just tested whether chief's builds play nice with Xt builds, and it looks like both can be used despite the naming confusion. So pick your poison as you see fit :)

[Edit] Oh, and confirmed that using escape to bypass the chat lobby still works, if you want to skip the wait there.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2008, 03:08:36 pm by Shade »

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Can't see it SHADE....
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline Shade

Sorry, didn't see this until now. You were probably using an old build, you need to use one from 2008 at the very least in order to see 3.6.10 games. Check this thread for more info: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,53508.0.html

As for tonight's games, it looks like 3.6.10 has come a long way since last time we tried it. No game stopping bugs, server didn't do anything annoying and many more people had it working so we were even able to hit 8 people at one point. Did find a few bugs, but they were minor, and imo 3.6.10 is now clearly the better choice over 3.6.9 as the benefits definitely outweigh those little bugs still left.

Offline jedimasterseth

• ~#fLinT#~
    • MySpace
Hey all, me and Castor will be hosting next saturday's game (9pm GMT) cos Shade's away. Let me know if u want to do 3.6.10 or 3.6.9!

Flint

Offline Shade

I'm actually away for two weeks, think I forgot to mention that. There is a small possibility I might be able to log on via laptop if my hotel on the day has wifi, but I definitely won't have the connection speed to host anything even if I can manage that.

Offline GTSVA

• Born to Fly
    • Minecraft
Oh..that's greaaaaaaaaat....

-AMIT
What's up?

Freespace: Amit
Forums: GTSVA        
High Scores: Natroz

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
I might be able to host next. I went paintballing all day today, so I couldn't.