Author Topic: The boanerges  (Read 11045 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Sekhmet's velocity: 60
" bank capacity: 80,80,80
" rotation time: 4,4,4
" sheilds: 850
" hit points: 500
" afterburner vel: 100
" afterburner fuel/burn/rech: 300/50/25
" Pbanks/points: 2/4?
" Sbanks: 3

Actually the Sekhmet has only 1 PBank, with 4 guns in it. It nearly doubles the firing rate of your primary weapon.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Oh. Well I only skimmed the table and I never fly the sekhmet :p.

So sue me.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
...are we going off-topic?  :nervous:

In any case, I don't like the Boanerges because it has no turret. It may be faster, but I'm not those kind of crazy pilots who like to fly circles all around other ships.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom

So sue me.

I will. Failure to fly the Sekhmet is punishable under the GTVA Equal Piloting Act, Mirfak Convention, section 28-4-9-D.

Fortunately for you, the punishment just involves giving cookies to other HLP members. :D
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

It's extraordinarily easy to kill an Ursa head-on, even on Hard, but it's a nightmare to take the Boarnerges head-on.
Not to mention that the Ursa is openly saying: "Hey, trebuchets, hit me!!" I don't even have to lock when I'm in close range.  ;)

I never had trouble killing either.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Unless you play mods or multiplayer you'll never get the chance. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog

Unless you play mods or multiplayer you'll never get the chance. :p

An even better idea is to just boot up FRED2, throw in a large ship and change your ship to a Sekhmet.
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
It's worth noting that the Boanerges has exactly the same maneuverability as, and is only 10 m/s faster than, the Ursa.

It's also five metres slower than the Ursa on Afterburner.  If nothing else, the Boa's advantages are a relatively slim profile, as Icefire noted, and better torpedo capacity.  (As many as four generally, assuming you're using the two large banks for torpedos and the one small one for defense missles.)  The Ursa's still a great bomber, but it's basically a flying brick, and as such it's easier to hit than the Boa.

And lets face it. the Boanerges is just plain ugly, and nobody can spell the name right.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Oh and the model's center is in the wrong place so it maneuvers like a mad dog chained to a lamp post.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
And lets face it. the Boanerges is just plain ugly,

That's purely subjective, and nothing more.

and nobody can spell the name right.

I can spell the name right: Boanerges.  I merely choose to say 'Boa' instead, because Boangeres takes too long to type out sometimes.

So sue me.

At the risk of pissing some people off, the Sekmet is, in my estimation, an overated ship.  It's ugly as hell, it's got a huge target profile, and it's afterburner is, compaed to the SHivan Nahema, quite slow.  Faster than either the Ursa or Boa, but even compared to a Heavy fighter like the Ares.  The Sekhmet's real advantages are it's primary banks.  Even if they're sub-optimal for dog-fighting, the rate of fire is excellent.  Mekhu HL-7s and Promethus-S work absolute wonders.  (I also prefer the Prom-S to the Subach/Mekhu line of weapons... it simply hits harder, really.)  ANd, of course, the torpedo capacity is pretty generous, all things considered.

I think the reason why the Sekhmet hasn't been deployed widespread in the GTVA is because primarily of cost.  That, and maybe possibly Sekhmet's can't be produced easily.  I don't know why otherwise it wouldn't of appeared.  It's pretty good, but it is not a god ship, all things considered. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 10:53:43 pm by Desert Tyrant »

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Alright, now THIS one we really need to sue. The Sekhmet owns the Ursa and Boa easy, just look at the stats. It may not be a god ship, but its certainly the best bomber you ever going to be flying. As for the boa, this is what i think of it: :headz:

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
Alright, now THIS one we really need to sue.
The Sekhmet owns the Ursa and Boa easy, just look at the stats.[/quote]

I look at how the thing performs both canonically and in-game.  The Sekhmet does not have any of the mythical qualitys many people assign it to be.  If stats were all that mattered, I could mod an Ursa that could go 125 metres per second, but would it actually count?  No.  I prefer to judge a ship based off of what's known of it in canon most of all.

It may not be a god ship, but its certainly the best bomber you ever going to be flying.

I would prefer it if you would not try to speak for me, thank you very much.

As for the boa, this is what i think of it: :headz:

Yes, yes, we get it.  The Boangeres is all that is wrong, it sucks, it's the root of all evil, blah blah blah. :rolleyes:  The Boa does, in fact, have advantages against the Ursa (By the same token it has some pretty bad dis-advantages.)  Lastly, don't assume that I think the Boa is the pinnacle of bombers.  All I stated is that I prefer it to the Ursa on a few occasions, nothing more.

Offline Shade

I can spell the name right: Boangeres.
I'm afraid you managed to prove yourself wrong :p The topic title has it right: It's Boanerges.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Desert Tyrant

• Meh.
I can spell the name right: Boangeres.
I'm afraid you managed to prove yourself wrong :p The topic title has it right: It's Boanerges.

Ah ****.  :o  :nervous:  SOrry about that, i'll fix it right now.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I STILL prefer the Ursa over any other bomber. I'd also like to note that in INFR1, the Sabus looks a lot like a Boanerges (which is why I don't usually fly it).
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
The sekhmet i can see not really being a true bomber although it is a bomber. It has more in common with the myrmidon in many respects. The only thing that keeps the myrmidon from being like the sekhmet is the fact that carrying bombs in the myrmidon is not only possible, it's an easter egg so many don't know about it, and the fact that the myrmidon can only hold like 2 helios bombs. Not really a true bomber role for the myrmidon.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The sekhmet i can see not really being a true bomber although it is a bomber. It has more in common with the myrmidon in many respects. The only thing that keeps the myrmidon from being like the sekhmet is the fact that carrying bombs in the myrmidon is not only possible, it's an easter egg so many don't know about it, and the fact that the myrmidon can only hold like 2 helios bombs. Not really a true bomber role for the myrmidon.
I think the Myrmidon can only carry one Helios in its third bank as the other two are too small for even a single torpedo to fit.
In any case, the design of the Boanerges was supposed to help the GTVA cut maintenance costs. Is that why it looks so boxy and has no turret?
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
The no turret part makes sense. As for the boxy look...idk. At least if you had no turret you wouldn't need to maintain a turret. Having no turret doesn't really make a difference unless you were flying something as slow as the ursa or slower. The fact that the bombers with turrets get kayser turrets is actually effective in warding off enemies as it only takes a couple of hits from a kayser to do serious damage. But, with the boanerges, it's one of your ok fast bombers with a smaller profile than the ursa. It sucks it doesn't have a turret. However,  you can call the it the Ursa VE concerning manufacturing cost and maintenance :lol:
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Hmm...indeed. However, the Boanerges is only a bit faster than the Ursa, so a turret might've been of some help.
My blog

MP-Ryan