Author Topic: The boanerges  (Read 11028 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
That would make it nicer. Hell, i wonder if costs would be kept down by putting a blob turret on the back? Just any kind of turret would help on a turretless bomber.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

No blob turret. Even if that thing will only slow the bomber down by 1 km/s, it's nothing but an oversized water balloon launcher. They need a Subach or Kayser turret. Or maybe some next generation blob turrets.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
At least a morning star. Of course having a blob turret would be really bad. But, it'd be better than nothing. Assuming that blob turrets are a lot cheaper than the advanced lasers and plasma that fighters use. And i believe the subach is going to be the next generation blob turret, they're cheap to produce, more than plentiful, and the smaller ships besides fighters are sporting them.

But, a blob turret would be better than nothing to have on the back of a bomber since bomber designs are phasing out turrets period. Instead of phasing them out completely i'd at least try to keep a turret as long as possible no matter how crappy it would become before phasing it out. I mean all of the bombers with turrets have kaysers, a step down from that prometheus, maxim, etc. whatever. Or hell, if you want a turret that's as ****ty as the blob turrets but actually shoots fast and shakes up a target in the least i'd want a morning star turret. A morning star turret would still keep the enemies off your back really good too.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Which is cheaper:

a) A bomber with a turret
b) A bomber without a turret, plus another (couple?) to replace it when it goes boom.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
A bomber without a turret of course. But, when it comes down to making a bomber with a turret that's cheaper than making an old style bomber with a turret the possibilities are endless. For making cheaper turrets like i said a while ago, you could go with something like the subach or the morning star. Both are annoying as hell and good at keeping fighters away, the kayser turret on the other hand is annoying in the factor that one hit from it causes crazy damage and fighters will want to stay away. The standard turret on a bomber should be replaced with something annoying but cheap, subach could do the job, but the morning star may be a better venture.

SMBFD

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
So 3 bombers w/out rets = 1 with?

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
One bomber with a morningstar turret will have better survivability then 3 bombers without a turret.  :D
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
True. the morningstar would actually be the perfect turret weapon for a bomber.
It prevents the enemy fighter from shooting at you with it's primaries, knocks him around buying the bomber time. And time is all it needs :drevil:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I was thinking the GTVA should develop a new fighter-bomber to replace the Athena. I can imagine a fighter built with a single primary and only one secondary missile bank. The missile bank would be capable of carrying 2 Helios torpedoes but can also carry Harpoons if the operation calls for a dogfight situation. With advancements in support ships, perhaps they can even tradeout your missile loadout. Imagine a sleek medium size fighter-bomber capable of performing lighting fast strikes with torpedoes while still being able to handle fighters.

This new fighter-bomber would be issued to elite SOC squadrons, and maybe even be incorporated into a fighter-bomber division.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Just expand the 2nd secondary bay on the Athena :P

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
True. the morningstar would actually be the perfect turret weapon for a bomber.
It prevents the enemy fighter from shooting at you with it's primaries, knocks him around buying the bomber time. And time is all it needs :drevil:
Hmm...that's a thought, and I think that getting hit my a Morningstar can delay aspect lock as well. However, I doubt the Morningstar is that cheap to produce, as compared to Subachs and Mekhus, both of which are "standard weaponry.

This gives me an idea...why not mount Mekhus on turrets? After all, Mekhus have a high fire rate and do decent damage.

I was thinking the GTVA should develop a new fighter-bomber to replace the Athena. I can imagine a fighter built with a single primary and only one secondary missile bank. The missile bank would be capable of carrying 2 Helios torpedoes but can also carry Harpoons if the operation calls for a dogfight situation. With advancements in support ships, perhaps they can even tradeout your missile loadout. Imagine a sleek medium size fighter-bomber capable of performing lighting fast strikes with torpedoes while still being able to handle fighters.

This new fighter-bomber would be issued to elite SOC squadrons, and maybe even be incorporated into a fighter-bomber division.
You're reminding me of the Jotun, only in a more mobile package. I was thinking that Inferno Release 1's GTB Danaus fits this description quite well.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Appearently the successor to the Athena was the Zues. By the time FS2 rolls around, the Artemis is the successor to the Zues (although it's primaries need serious revisions).
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
What's with that, the athena has really awesome firing points, and the artemis has ****.

SMBFD

Offline Snail

• SC 5
You're reminding me of the Jotun, only in a more mobile package. I was thinking that Inferno Release 1's GTB Danaus fits this description quite well.

The Jotun was just one stupidly big warhead lobber. The Danaus looked fast but its afterburners were a big failure IMO.

Offline mr.WHO

I always tread Artemis as Athena sucessor.

IMO  Sekhmet > Artemis.
I just love to fly that ship and it's the only Vasudan craft that I can stand flying it (Maybe sometimes Tauret, but I prefer terran Mara or Erinyes, or Ares).

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What's with that, the athena has really awesome firing points, and the artemis has ****.

Well, obviously the GTVA design in the lightning bomber category is declining.
That's, or whoever in command was responsible for approving contracts for fighters/bombers was an idiot..which doesn't surprise anyone.

command fails again.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
As always.

I always tread Artemis as Athena sucessor.

IMO  Sekhmet > Artemis.
I just love to fly that ship and it's the only Vasudan craft that I can stand flying it (Maybe sometimes Tauret, but I prefer terran Mara or Erinyes, or Ares).

I don't mind flying a Sekhmet, but when it comes to bombers, I usually choose the Ursa.

For fighters, the order is a bit like this, from most favourite to least: Ares, Mara, Tauret, Seth, Pegasus, Erinyes, Ptah, Herc, Herc II, Perseus, Serapis, Horus.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline mr.WHO

From what I see, you don't like inteceptors much  :no:

Perseus and "Suicide kings"  RLZ   :D

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
I think that bomber turrets should be changed to flak turrets.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key