Author Topic: The boanerges  (Read 11027 times)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Maybe they should put turrets on the top of fighters then (maybe ontop of shivan fighters)?  ;7 The one thing that would be really awesome is to make a flak secondary weapon. Inferno had something like this, except it was dumb fire only and shot loads of little missles  that supplemented your lasers. The flak secondary wouldn't matter if it had aspect lock or not now that i think about (if you chase a fighter good enough you can spray them with flak awesome just dumbfiring it).
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Pfft...when it comes down to Inferno, they don't need turrets because some of their bombers have beam cannons, like the Vindyachal.

In fact, Shivans don't really need any turrets. Look at the Seraphim...gunpoints all over the place. ;7
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker
Boa looks ugly for many people (however I actually like it ;D), and it's anti-fighter capabilities are well poor. However, who is such a wacko to dogfight in a heavy bomber ?! The turret on Ursa or Medusa *never* ever killed a single fighter for me, and dogfighting felt like a sumo fighter trying to catch a cockroach :p It was futile, to say the least. From canon/logical point of view, the designers never even dreamed that somebody would be insane enough to dogfight in their designs. Check out the modern bombers - they are big, sluggish and defenceless - attacking such targets is a fighter pilot's dream. Despite what the game shows us, pilots are NOT supposed to be one-men armies :p

I am that wacko, in harder difficulties i even sweep entire wings before going against my target because the AI allied wings are USELESS!   i just love how some bombers have a huge primary loadout that shreds the little fighters, it's lot of fun watch them go boom XD
And, as someone else said, AI is stupid enough to give you their 6 o' clock at all times if you know how to do it, then it's just a matter of good aim and nice load out to obliterate them  ;)
Signed, me

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Boa looks ugly for many people (however I actually like it ;D), and it's anti-fighter capabilities are well poor. However, who is such a wacko to dogfight in a heavy bomber ?! The turret on Ursa or Medusa *never* ever killed a single fighter for me, and dogfighting felt like a sumo fighter trying to catch a cockroach :p It was futile, to say the least. From canon/logical point of view, the designers never even dreamed that somebody would be insane enough to dogfight in their designs. Check out the modern bombers - they are big, sluggish and defenceless - attacking such targets is a fighter pilot's dream. Despite what the game shows us, pilots are NOT supposed to be one-men armies :p

I am that wacko, in harder difficulties i even sweep entire wings before going against my target because the AI allied wings are USELESS!   i just love how some bombers have a huge primary loadout that shreds the little fighters, it's lot of fun watch them go boom XD
And, as someone else said, AI is stupid enough to give you their 6 o' clock at all times if you know how to do it, then it's just a matter of good aim and nice load out to obliterate them  ;)

Oh, whee. We're of the same mind. Sometimes, I dogfight in a bomber myself. I've even managed to hit some fighters with Cyclops torpedoes.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Well, I killed many Manticores and Basilisk with the turret of the Ursa. I don't consider it useless.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Do turrets get more accurate on higher difficulties?

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I don't think the level of difficulty affects the accuracy of turrets.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Mura

• Shadow lurker

Oh, whee. We're of the same mind. Sometimes, I dogfight in a bomber myself. I've even managed to hit some fighters with Cyclops torpedoes.

HAHAHA, it's awesome how fast they spin when they get hit by those, it's so funny to watch them spin out of control and then BOOM!  :wakka:
Signed, me

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Usually fighters don't "BOOM" when I hit them with torpedoes...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Direct hits seem to go right through sheilds, a good reason why ramming bombs is not a good way to destroy them.

EDIT: Well, it turns out I was testing on fighters that had no shields.  A Helios still has enough hitting power to get through most shields though.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 12:06:12 am by blowfish »

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Y'know, I'd love to go head to hea din bombers with you Ursa lovers :P  I'll take a Sekhmet, and we'll see who does the more damage =)

It's just unfortunate you never get to fly them in game, because they are a truey multi-role bomber craft.

Oh, and +1 to the evilness of flak on Hard/Insane.  Not only does it rip your ship to shreds (Perseus fighters get seriousl chewed by Aeolus cruisers, Stilettos or no Stilettos), but forget trying to get a secondary lock if you're under flak fire.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Play a multiplayer mission that includes both and use the new Damage-Caused SEXP from HEAD builds and you can actually see who did the most damage.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Nice feature. Too bad it needs to be SEXP'ed - that would be an interesting figure to see in the debriefing statistics.