Author Topic: Something that's nearing completion ... is released  (Read 26657 times)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Re: Something that's nearing completion ... is released
Cyclops#short has a shorter range.  Its slower.  But it does twice the subsystem damage.  IIRC Cyclops#short is what you use in the main campaign.

maybe i can cobble something together from INF, WCS, and all the other mods i have...  :drevil:
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Courtesy of Col. Fishguts' Seal of Approval, I present to you the normal mapped GTB Rhea!

Download link; contains three maps.

- edited shinemap that has black alpha channel and thus does not produce environmental reflections for the ship's hull (and makes it looks more like in Fishguts' screenshots, since he apparently doesn't use env mapping :) )

-normal map - quite obviously; the production/distribution version suffers somewhat from the DDS compression artefacts on diagonal lines. I have another, uncompressed version of the normal map which removes the compression (obviously), but also uses more VRAM resources, so I ended up putting the compressed file up for downloads for now. The difference is mostly visible in the ship lab and at close range, so for the most time it isn't an issue.

-height map - use at your discretion. It doesn't do anything really noteworth and thus is mostly lack of resources - the normal map alone does a fine work, so if you're in any way tight with system resources, leave this out.

As for using the files... open the 7zip-file, pick the appropriate files, and copypaste them to your ..\FreeSpace2\GTB_Rhea\data\maps directory.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 01:03:21 pm by Herra Tohtori »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Excellent, Herra! :D

"Bella, la Finlandia!"
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Courtesy of Col. Fishguts' Seal of Approval, I present to you the normal mapped GTB Rhea!

Download link; contains three maps.

- edited shinemap that has black alpha channel and thus does not produce environmental reflections for the ship's hull (and makes it looks more like in Fishguts' screenshots, since he apparently doesn't use env mapping :) )

-normal map - quite obviously; the production/distribution version suffers somewhat from the DDS compression artefacts on diagonal lines. I have another, uncompressed version of the normal map which removes the compression (obviously), but also uses more VRAM resources, so I ended up putting the compressed file up for downloads for now. The difference is mostly visible in the ship lab and at close range, so for the most time it isn't an issue.

-height map - use at your discretion. It doesn't do anything really noteworth and thus is mostly lack of resources - the normal map alone does a fine work, so if you're in any way tight with system resources, leave this out.

As for using the files... open the 7zip-file, pick the appropriate files, and copypaste them to your ..\FreeSpace2\GTB_Rhea\data\maps directory.

Do you even have AA on?  :wtf:

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Sure looks like AA is on, of course you have to click on the image to see it in its full glory.

Again, very nice work Herra.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Do you even have AA on?  :wtf:

lvlshot tags tend to cause aliasing when it resizes the image to fit the forum layout, since it seems to use no interpolation for resizing. Click the image to see it in full 1280x1024 resolution, which should look notably much smoother, since I used 16xAA for that screenshot... though I usually use 8SxAA for normal playing, and that looks awesome too.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
looks great  :yes:.

Nice background btw, is it a default one from FS2 open? If not, where can i get it?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
looks great  :yes:.

Nice background btw, is it a default one from FS2 open? If not, where can i get it?

Custom GIMPed by me about... two years ago?  :eek: How the time runs...

Oh, by the way, perhaps I should explain that the screenshot I posted is slightly enhanced with GIMP. Basically, I just added the background and changed the hue of the ship a bit to match the surroundings. Nothing too drastic, so if you put a bluish sun on a mission with background like that, you'd end up with notably similar screenshots. But as it is, it isn't straight out from FS2_Open so it could be considered a minor bullshot... ;7
« Last Edit: March 15, 2008, 04:31:06 pm by Herra Tohtori »

Offline Snail

• SC 5
So the starmap ain't in-game, huh? Pity.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I just saw this thread - very nice fighter, very nice background. Hope to see it in one of the more well-played campaigns. :)

By any chance, do you have a 1680x1050 version of that background (does it come in a higher res than 1280?) It stretches rather nicely, though, so it's undergoing trials as my background wallpaper. :)
-C

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
By any chance, do you have a 1680x1050 version of that background (does it come in a higher res than 1280?) It stretches rather nicely, though, so it's undergoing trials as my background wallpaper. :)

Alas, no, I did it in 1280x1024. I can try and duplicate the process in higher resolution, though.

Offline shiv

• Don't forget Poland!
  • FRED me!
    • http://freespace.pl
We could make skybox of this texture.
http://www.sectorgame.com/vega
The Apocalypse Vega - Join the battle! A campaign for FreeSpace 2 Open

http://www.game-warden.com/earthdefence
Earth Defense project - Coming soon...

Offline Rico

A damn beautiful skybox at that, perhaps also versions with planets etc  :D

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
It would be bloody close to impossible to make that a skybox and retain all the detail. Better luck would be making separate nebula textures, but even then getting them to match each other seamlessly and without too many gaps would be... difficult.

On a current MediaVP skybox style (which uses tiles) it might get more than a little repetitive and obviously tiled. Then again, with a continuous skybox texture, the highest effective resolution with one texture is 4096x2048 on my card at least; it's possible to set the skybox to use two 4096x4096 textures as hemispheres, which would in terms of detail be the same as using a 8192x4096 texture, but I dunno if the performance / VRam hit would be acceptable...

Trying it can't hurt, obviously. :drevil:

Make at least 5 different variations, so that no 2 same tiles touch eachother. and besides, isn't the player going to be a little busy to notice all the repetition?
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
It's pretty obvious when you tile two non-tiled images.
-C

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
It's pretty obvious when you tile two non-tiled images.

I think it would be pretty nonsensical to use nebulas such as this through skyboxes. I can't think of anything it could do better than the regular nebula system, other than being simpler in background editor (and much more complex to make).

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
With the right combination of blue nebulae, I bet you could get an effect similar to this.  You would need a lot of nebulae to cover the whole sky though.

Online Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Since this got bumped, I might as well mention that I've updated the download link with a new VP, which includes Herra's very cool normal, height maps and tweaked shine maps.

Available here.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 02:01:55 pm by Col. Fishguts »
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea