Author Topic: W-H-I-Y-L - boom shake-shake shake the-room.  (Read 3061761 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: W-H-I-Y-L It's over 1000!!!!! (pages)
Just linked my bank account to paypal. brb buying the INTERNET

You're going to regret that decision if you ever have a transaction disputed.  PayPal is notorious for freezing accounts and then not telling people why.  Not so bad if its just a credit card - really ugly if its your primary bank account.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
I'm not even full-bottle on how paypal works. :P I thought PayPal can only freeze like, one's PP account, as opposed to an actual account with a bank? It was giving me some grief earlier because I hadn't transferred any money into it. Or have I misunderstood you?

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • EaWPR
With the advent of back-up view cameras, won't be long before nobody takes that kind of advice seriously. :|
It's not like it's any harder though... :blah:

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I'm not even full-bottle on how paypal works. :P I thought PayPal can only freeze like, one's PP account, as opposed to an actual account with a bank? It was giving me some grief earlier because I hadn't transferred any money into it. Or have I misunderstood you?

PayPal can freeze any transactions to or from your PayPal account.  ANY transactions.  They can freeze the whole account.  Sent a bunch of money through PayPal from your bank?  That can get tied up.  Receiving money?  Yup, that too.  This isn't a bad primer:  http://www.moneycone.com/should-you-link-paypal-to-your-main-checking-account/

Basically, there is no Earthly reason to tie your bank account to PayPal if you can get a credit card.  PayPal doesn't play by the same rules as a bank, and I'd be very careful about giving them any access to your banking.  They can't freeze your actual bank account with another institution, but they can do lots to hamper your ability to use it.

Google "Paypal regretsy" for a particularly egregious example of the horrors of PayPal customer service.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline watsisname

Wahoo, I managed to photograph the transit.  For once, clouds actually helped observations. :)

Image via Projection, taken a little later when a hole opened up in the clouds: 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 07:19:12 pm by watsisname »
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Steam
Wahoo, I managed to photograph the transit.  For once, clouds actually helped observations. :)

Image via Projection, taken a little later when a hole opened up in the clouds: 

Awesome. (Man, I need to find another word, beginning to sound like one of my classmates from college >.>)
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

PayPal can freeze any transactions to or from your PayPal account.  ANY transactions.  They can freeze the whole account.  Sent a bunch of money through PayPal from your bank?  That can get tied up.  Receiving money?  Yup, that too.  This isn't a bad primer:  http://www.moneycone.com/should-you-link-paypal-to-your-main-checking-account/

Basically, there is no Earthly reason to tie your bank account to PayPal if you can get a credit card.  PayPal doesn't play by the same rules as a bank, and I'd be very careful about giving them any access to your banking.  They can't freeze your actual bank account with another institution, but they can do lots to hamper your ability to use it.

Google "Paypal regretsy" for a particularly egregious example of the horrors of PayPal customer service.
Whoa.

That's insane. I think I might apply for Credit Card now...

Offline watsisname

Coolest part was I could actually see it directly with my own eyes, without a protective filter, by looking through a small telescope as the sun passed behind patches of cloud.  And as far as I can tell I managed to not blind myself.

Yes, I am insane.  Don't ever do that.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
How many fingers am I holding up?
"No"

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i attempted the toner transfer meathod with failriffic results (oshw thread on gfs for pics).

on the other hand my lego-dremel drill press was an astounding hit.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers

Whoa.

credit cards are great if you use them properly.  find one with no fees (i.e., not the ones advertised on TV), and use it like you were paying cash.  don't carry a balance, and DON'T FORGET TO PAY IT. 

I like to stare at the sun.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Transit of Venus yaaaay
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.

Whoa.

credit cards are great if you use them properly.  find one with no fees (i.e., not the ones advertised on TV), and use it like you were paying cash.  don't carry a balance, and DON'T FORGET TO PAY IT.
Cheers! I walked into my bank yesterday feeling like I was about to be taken advantage of by the staff, and probably rightly so. :P

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
I didn't see any of the transit with my own eyes: it was way too cloudy at the start, and by the time the Sun peeked through a few times, it was already beneath the tree line behind our house, so I wouldn't have had any means of seeing it anyway.  Did catch the end of it on the webcast, though.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
Coolest part was I could actually see it directly with my own eyes, without a protective filter, by looking through a small telescope as the sun passed behind patches of cloud.  And as far as I can tell I managed to not blind myself.

Yes, I am insane.  Don't ever do that.

Have you ever stared directly at the sun while it is setting for twenty minutes without blinking? If not, you haven't bested me yet. :P
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline ssmit132

• Also known as "Typhlomence"
    • Steam
    • Twitter
The Ace Attorney movie's going to be at the Melbourne Film Festival. If it was possible I'd go just to see that - as it stands, I hope it'll see an actual Australian release in the future.

They made one error on that page, though - it's a Capcom series, not a Nintendo one. :p

Offline watsisname

Have you ever stared directly at the sun while it is setting for twenty minutes without blinking? If not, you haven't bested me yet. :P

I read somewhere that Isaac Newton stared at the sun to see what it'd do to him (he very nearly did go blind and couldn't see the color green for a long time afterward), also that he stuck a needle all the way into his eye socket and swirled it around... to see what would happen.  Apparently it caused him to see all sorts of crazy lights and ****.

A true scientist!

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
ok Brian, the record's five.

one!  two!  three!   four!   five!   SIX!  YEAH!!

I got six at the sun-stare.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline watsisname

Offline FlamingCobra

• An Experiment In Weaponised Annoyance
Tomorrow is my last day of school before graduation.

P.S. Send me graduation money.  :rolleyes: